SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Duplicate blades
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Duplicate blades Login/Join 
posted
Thought this would be fun. Over the years, I have come across certain blades that I’ve bought two (or more) of, just to make sure I always had one. Now I’m not talking about collecting different variations, I’m talking about blades, put to use, that you realize you like so much you’d want to make sure you didn’t have to do without.
Here’s mine…

Esee 5 - my grab and go shtf knife.

Esee Izula II – lives with the Esee 5.

Battle Horse Knives Smoky Mountain Razor (custom) – if I’m in the woods, with an axe, this is on my hip.

Mercator Black Cat (carbon) – if I have pants on, there’s one in my pocket and has been for 55 years.

Gransfors Bruk Small Forest axe – well I just have found none better.

And the most recent addition and what got me thinking about this…

Battle Horse Knives Big J – if I’m in the woods, without an axe, this is on my hip.

Most of mine are geared towards outdoor or woods use because that’s where I spend most of my time. Yours might be more tactical, work related, or utilitarian. In any case, anybody wanna play? Let’s see ‘em…….

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pace40,

Posts: 625 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I follow the same way of thinking... Two is one. One is none.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh yes!
I'm currently beating the hell out of an Emmerson CQB-7. It's my 2nd one, I lost the first.
Before that it was SOG. Bought one, it worked well for me, so I got another and tossed it in the back of the drawer, "just in case".
Gave the first one away to someone who needed it more than me at the time. Broke the 2nd one.

I'm about due for a new one, problems go with another Emmerson.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8313 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought a new edc knife for years. But when I like I knife, I buy two or even three of them.

The last model I liked and sticking with is the ZT 0452. I lost a limited titanium model; left it in a restaurant. I bought one or two to replace it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19568 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I have THREE Spyderco Police models. I'll try to snap a pic later.

I've got an early version in ATS 55 which is probably my favorite. It's got the G10 scales and full flat grind, but still has the slender blade and extra pointy point. I love that thing. Got it when I was new on the job and have carried it for years. Finally retired it when I realized I had gotten attached to it and would get upset if I snapped that tip off.

I then got a Police 3 in VG10. Still a nice knife, but the blade is beefier and the point is a little more...forgiving.

Finally, I picked up a Police Ligthweight last year with a VG10 blade and FRN scales with the intent of it being my user blade at work. It's the beefiest blade of the three and is a long way from the slender original. Much like I'm a lot less slender than I was a quarter century ago when I bought the first one...

I'm probably going to splurge a bit of my holiday bonus this year to buy a spare Sebenza so I'll be a little less concerned about carrying the one I have. I LOVE that knife, but every time I put it in my pocket there is a little part of my brain that goes "but what if you drop it somewhere or mess it up. How will you replace it?"

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have three or four Delicas from Spyderco. One is a hawksbill, but the others are the standard blade shape, but in different steels. I like to try out the different steels.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple Emerson cqc7s, just really like the design and ergonomics. Thinking about ordering another with a serrated blade. I also have a couple pm3’s and pm 2’s. I tend to buy multiples of what I really like. I do buy different stuff but I always have a cqc7 in my pocket along with one of the Spydies. Old habits are hard to break

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I'm not really a knife guy, but I have always owned a few and have always carried one on my person.

Currently, my EDC knife is a Spyderco McBee, I picked up a spare one a while ago. I also have a Spyderco PM3LW in my EDC bag and I also picked up a spare one. I really like both of these knives.

I had 3 Delica's, but I recently gifted them to my brother-in-law and his two sons.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1890 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
I'm a big knife guy and my absolute favorite is my EDC. It is a custom Titanium flipper from a local guy. About a year after purchasing I had him build me another one, just in case something happened to the first one. I would be sick as they are not cheap.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 883 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
No photos handy, but I have three Benchmade Griptilians, all with different colors of AWT aluminum grips.

They're my most commonly carried knives, and this way, I can match my knife to my outfit and purse. Big Grin

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue, how do you like those Griptilian scales? I’ve got a couple of them but just can’t warm up to the plastic scales and have often thought about updating them. I’m happy with what I currently carry but I think those Griptilians could be so much better with something better on the outside.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy with the Applied Weapons Technology aluminum scales, which nicely address the primary drawback to the otherwise excellent Griptilians, their cheap plastic scales.

https://appliedweaponstech.com/t/griptilian-scales

Mine are all the original pattern, but it looks like they have an updated version also available now with some added contours and texturing.

And they have a "Bone Yard" section that sells blems at a discount: https://appliedweaponstech.com/t/bone-yard

Posts: 32398 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rogue, thank you sir. Those look like they take the Grip to a whole different level.

posted Hide Post
10 Kershaw Blurs (admittedly of various different materials and blade shapes)

3 Lone Wolf D2's- fantastic blade, wish I'd bought more.

3 Spyderco Pacific Salts. Love the H1 material as it doesn't rust and it's cheaper than Boyes excellent Cobalt blades for saltwater boating. I understand that they are utilizing an even better metal now. HC200?

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahhh, looked it up. The new Spyderco metal that looks to be even better than H1 is LC200N. I'd had a SOG Flash 2 with the stainless blade rust after a day at the beach. 1 single day and I don't believe it got wet, just atmospheric salt from a storm. Can take the Pacific Salt H1 out on the salt water and not worry that it will turn to rust if I forget to clean and oil it.

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Here's an Uncle Henry stockman that I bought in 1970 for about $15. That was alot of money for a knife for me back then. The thing rode in my pocket every single day, wherever I went, for 30 years, before I finally retired it. A couple years ago I ran across one in unused condition for $25, so I had to have it.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
10 Kershaw Blurs (admittedly of various different materials and blade shapes)

Nice! The Kershaw Blur is my favorite folder.

Posts: 1955 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post