SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Crazy guy manages to break an ESEE-5 in the field
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crazy guy manages to break an ESEE-5 in the field Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
This guy's channel is devoted to "testing" knives to destruction. I say "testing" because his methodology is inconsistent; he merely beats the ever-loving shit out of knives until they come apart.

This kind of thing always upsets a portion of the online knife community (remember Cliff Stamp?) It's understandable, because during destruction testing, most of these knives are used in ways they would normally never be used. Plus, it's always disconcerting to see a beloved tool fail. However, even with the inconsistent methodology, I find such "testing" to be quite informative.

Go to the 9:40 mark in the video to see how he broke the blade of this knife. Wailing on a metal pipe, using the back of the blade- I can see how having the thin portion of the blade (which, with the way he as holding the knife, constitutes the top of the blade) absorb the tension of those blows, would fracture it.

Why the weird outfit with the gas mask? If I were hammering on sharp pieces of metal like he does, I'd have have my face covered and have no exposed skin anywhere on my body. Just a guess. Maybe he wants to conceal his identity.

Anyway, NSFW due to language.

Posts: 107459 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
I've seen a few of this guy's videos. ESEE has become my favorite brand for fixed blades. I just picked up an ESEE 4 as a truck/SHTF knife. His video on the Gerber Strongarm is pretty impressive. I almost bought one of those instead of the ESEE.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Looks like a very clean break at almost a right angle. Maybe a comment on grain structure and forging technique but certainly no chipping or shattering. I hope the "Forged in Fire" guys don't start banging spines into stuff.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8325 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
My kinda video!!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
Elberettas, I was issued a Gerber Strongman in Iraq during my 2003 deployment. That thing makes minced meat of ammo crates. It would pop the metal bands no problem and then you could use the knife to further break down the crate. Not saying other knives couldn’t do it, just surprised that a $45 Gerber could do it without breaking a sweat. I think it handled daily tasks well.

Posts: 2831 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Well…I use my field knife to chop down metal poles all the time.

It is fairly impressive what it held up to, despite the lack of decent methodology.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flesheatingvirus,

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
concealing his identity? Maybe the guy who owns the car is a bad ass! I bet when he turns the knife in for a warranty replacement, he takes off the mask.

I have an ESEE5, and while I would never treat a knife that way, I am delighted that I can expect it to stand up to such abuse. Maybe when I get some free time I might wander around and chop down a few power poles, I can hear the lineman now....WTF? beavers?

Posts: 6443 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
He should have used a Cold Steel knife. I've seen them stab through a car door. And meat filled boots.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53120 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m Not planning to abuse my knives that way. Even my ESEE’s. Good news is ESEE will send him a replacement no questions asked, Even if they saw that video of abuse. Hell they may even use it in their advertising.

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Esee 5 is a great knife, I’ve had mine for close to ten years now. I’ve even used it to cut up a bull moose.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I’ve had mine for close to ten years now..

So you're saying its nearly brand new?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I’ve had mine for close to ten years now..

So you're saying its nearly brand new?

Pretty much. I don’t go chopping steel poles though.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
Someone mentioned Forged in Fire.. sometimes they go way beyond trying to break knives. It's so sad to see a beautiful Damascus knife beaten into an oil drum

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cold steel is his choice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1m8nE1dXjw

Thanks for sharing that guys stuff para. Impressive.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post