SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thumb jimping on a folding knife. WHY!?!?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thumb jimping on a folding knife. WHY!?!? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Why do designers / companies design knives made to be carried in a front pocket (they come with pocket clips) with a little saw blade on them to shred your hand every time you reach in your pocket? I do not get it. I own two of them and after the first one I swore I'd never buy another. But I forgot. Wink

The knuckle on my little finger as a mess of scars and scabs. I leave a little DNA every time I reach in my pocket. Often a blood sample too.
Stupid.

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
It’s because you are carrying tip down like an unwashed heathen instead of tip up like God intended. Razz Wink

Honestly, although I do prefer tip up carry, I never really noticed an issue when I have carried a tip down knife but looking at your picture I could totally see how it could be an issue day in and day out.

I tend to like jimping when I choke up on the blade for finer tasks.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I've never heard the word "jimping" before. Those serrations have torn up more jeans pockets of mine. I finally decided to carry my ZT303 in a REMORA mag pouch. It sits down just deep enough that the "jimping" is surrounded by the pouch, but the knife still easily grasped. I also carry blade tip down.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have about 50/50 split on my knives as far as tip up and tip down goes. I think it's more what you're used to, there's only one of them that I wish was reversed. That Spiderco can't be swapped or I would. (even though it works better "hole up".)

Posts: 21041 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
It’s because you are carrying tip down like an unwashed heathen instead of tip up like God intended. Razz Wink

I was going to say something to this effect.

I prefer tip up because it keeps the spine of the blade against the pocket wall where it’s not being banged up by other items in my pocket. I have one edc knife that is tip down...and it does the same thing to me if I forget which knife I have.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am tip up on all my folders. If they don't I do not buy.

quote:
Originally posted by cas:
That Spiderco can't be swapped or I would.

So what are you saying ? That you cannot change the pocket clip location ? Looks like your knife is either a PM2 or a Para3. I have both these models and pocket clips are four location adjustable.

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Jimping......."A little traction for the cutting action"! Wink

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Stop wearing skinny jeans! :-)

Posts: 4340 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tip up! Just do it.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

Posts: 32411 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motoboy:

So what are you saying ? That you cannot change the pocket clip location ?

Correct.

Personally, other than the up side of keeping change out of the handle, tip up seems counter productive to me (even on a non Spiderco). I have to reposition the knife in my hand to open in. Confused Where as the tip down repositioning take place naturally as I raise my hand.

My common sense
is tingling
Picture of Kravashera
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Correct.

Personally, other than the up side of keeping change out of the handle, tip up seems counter productive to me (even on a non Spiderco). I have to reposition the knife in my hand to open in. Confused Where as the tip down repositioning take place naturally as I raise my hand.

I find that it doesn’t really matter, as long as I remember which knife I am carrying.

If I am carrying tip down, my thumb and knuckle on my pointer finger grab the top (pivot) of the knife. As I pull the knife out the knife remains vertical and my hand rotated down to the grip. I am then in a perfect position to open it with my thumb.

If I am carrying tip up, I slide my thumb into my pocket along the handle and grip it much lower on the body. Then when I pull the knife straight out my hand is already in the right position to flick the thumb stud.

Either way, the knife is out of the pocket and deployed fast. I tend to prefer tip up because a) I start with a better grip on the knife, and b) the majority that I have are tip up so that is what I am used to.

“You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
- Robert Heinlein

Posts: 988 | Location: Valley of the Sun, AZ | Registered: February 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Correct.

No, what you are really saying is that you choose not to change the clip location. Because it would be possible to do so on this model.

Gotcha……...

Posts: 779 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Correct.

No, what you are really saying is that you choose not to change the clip location. Because it would be possible to do so on this model.

Gotcha……...

There is exactly one clip location on the Spyderco Military, unless one should choose to use it without a clip, so it's not possible to change the clip location with this model. Your replies are based on your incorrect assumption from your first post, where you misidentified the knife. Look at your knives, you'll see they are very different from the OP's picture, which is of a Military, not a Paramilitary 2, nor a Paramilitary 3. The liner lock is a big clue, as is the clip, as is the lack of cut in the blade for the compression lock.....

What he’s really saying is what he really said in the first place. You follow?

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Easy francis ! You are correct and I misidentified the knife. The OP could have corrected me twice but he did not.

So sorry...….. Frown

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason for the military having a fixed clip location? For that matter why tip down vs all my other spydercos being tip up out of the box. (Not being critical of one’s carry pref. I was just screwing around above). It just seems weird that the military would be so different vs PM2/PM3.

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Four pages of discussion about it here: https://www.bladeforums.com/th...co-military.1502066/

In short, it doesn’t have full liners, and this was done intentionally to save weight since it’s a big knife. The Paramilitary was a full redesign of the Military with the feedback they had gotten over the years, like four position clip, full liners, redesigned choil, etc.

Posts: 17044 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Clip location is the reason I don’t have a military.

Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Back to jimpimg, I really do find these “traction points” a big help for a lot of tasks. It looks cool when done well also!!

https://imgur.com/a/xXkg5KM

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knife Farmer
Picture of dozer
posted Hide Post
this is the main reason i like to use larger notches instead of small grooves. you get the same effect without the abrasion problem.

dozer

"She's got a cherry-handled pistol in her lollipop pocket." Five Horse Johnson

Posts: 3515 | Location: fayette,al | Registered: April 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post