SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Knife, Pocket, General Purpose
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knife, Pocket, General Purpose Login/Join 
posted
Lately I've found myself wanting one of the stainless steel utility knives that many of us may have had at some time if we were in the US military. Once upon a time I was issued one for a field exercise lasting a week...the Navy took it back when I turned their sateens back too (long story).

I'm looking on Ebay for one made slightly before or during my active duty years. $40-$50 there and hopefully not broken. They are still being made though by one company in Rhode Island. Colonial Knife Company. I have a Chinese copy marketed under the Marble name, but want the real deal this time.

Any stories of them from the forum?

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I'm never without one of my Victorinox Alox knives.
They're a Swiss Army knife, but with aluminium handles. I've been carrying them for years & they hold up.

They have different models, with different tool/blade combos, and without the absolutely worthless, (to me at leastSmile), corkscrew.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rat2306

Is the knife you are referring to called the

M-2205 Military Issue Pocket Knife

Nat'l Stock #5110-00-162-2205
Made in USA. Lifetime Warranty.
includes Low Profile Belt Sheath.
Also available with Deluxe Snapshackle Lanyard.

Genuine U.S. Military issue for over 50 years, officially described as "Knife, Pocket, General Purpose." Features a razor-sharp, specially hardened #440A stainless steel blade, plus a number of extra tools for everyday use on or off the ship -

https://shipcanvas.com/products/2205-pocket-knife

I never heard of the company so I did research

Welcome to SHIPCANVAS... Founded by sailors Ed Morris and Steve Barth, we produce traditional rigging for ships and yachts, plus hand-crafted ditty bags and seabags for the crew. Nothing here is copied or merely 'styled to appear' nautical - we only build the real thing.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Exactly the item I'm looking for. It appears to be one from Colonial Knife. The price is also the same. Camillus, Colonial, and a couple of others punched out a million or more of these before and during Vietnam to almost the present day. Victorinox now makes their Soldier knife for Uncle Sam also, but something about the old school one just makes me want to open up a C ration. Smile

ETA: I bought one of the Victorinox Soldier knives with the US markings this week. Pretty stout piece of kit to slice open MREs, but it's pretty close to my Hunter in size. Am keeping an eye out for a good Camillus or Queen Cutlery utility knife. In the interim, the Chinese made copy is going to be EDC for a while.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
I'm never without one of my Victorinox Alox knives.
They're a Swiss Army knife, but with aluminium handles. I've been carrying them for years & they hold up.

They have different models, with different tool/blade combos, and without the absolutely worthless, (to me at leastSmile), corkscrew.

I have a Victorinox Hunter with the corkscrew, love it on mine. Never know when you may be camping and have to open a bottle of Chardonnay. Smile

ETA: I found an almost pristine Queen Cutlery knife on Ebay. $51 with tax and shipping after I won the auction. It will be a keepsake, as it was made the year that I began drilling with USMC Reserve units, vice Navy, for the next 12 years.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: rat2306,