SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Thoughts on this Randall
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts on this Randall Login/Join 
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
What a great looking collection. Do you have a favorite?

I waited too long and the one I was looking at sold. It is now a 6-8 month wait, if you order from AG Russell.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
P-220--

I guess this well-used Randall would be my favorite since I carried it on several deployments.
A Colombian NCO offered to trade me his hat for it.
I demurred...

Tim

"Dead Midgets Handled With No Questions Asked"

Posts: 686 | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta love those Randalls! I have a Model 25 that is no safe queen. I would love to get a bird and trout. I think the blade length and size would be more useful. In my opinion you won't loose any mony on a Randall.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pal:
In my opinion you won't loose any mony on a Randall.

Its why we buy them. Other makers claim they make better knives, its just that no one wants them. If you have any intention of actually using a Randall, buy it used so its already taken the depreciation. You can always sell it for what you paid, or more.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
This certainly true. I've been collecting Randalls for going on 20 years now. I can tell you they appreciate every year. Every time I attend the Tulsa Wanamaker show, there are always avid Randall collectors there who are looking to buy/sell/trade.

I bought a Randall Recon Bowie a number of years back. It is one of a limited run of individually serialized knives with a specially marked sheath. The knife was built to replicate the SOG Recon Bowie as a tribute to the design and those who carried them. I paid $500 for it. The guy who commissioned the project planned to have like a 50-100 production run of knives made. As I understand it, he had a falling out with Gary Randall and fewer than 50 were made. As a result, Randall Recon Bowies are highly collectable now.

SOG's Version:

Randall's version:

I also collect Chris Reeve knives, and I definitely appreciate them as well. Their knives don't tend to escalate in value to the same level as Randalls do while they are in current production, if Chris Reeve discontinues them, their value tends to increase significantly. Examples being the one piece hollow handle knives they used to make, specifically the Al Mar collaboration models, which sell for a hefty premium on the collector's market.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Impressive collection! Great steel, actually in my opinion, they are just “ right”!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
My grandfather could afford Randall knives like I can afford Chicago Cutlery. My dad chipped the blade of my grandfathers' 1960s Randall knocking the claw off a stone crab. My grandfather was pissed at my dad for the chip forever after.

Posts: 7437 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
ok, I waited and missed the 4" from AG Russell. there is now a 6-7 month wait. I know, I know in the world of Randall Knives that is a nano-second, but I am still impatient.

However on Fleabay I found a 5" from a Dealer, but it is in excess of $850.00.

Thoughts on the 4" versus the 5"? This is the first 5" I have seen that I found proportionally (leather and metal combination) appealing.

I have never spent that kind of money on a knife. Is there a dollar point where you just pass?

I will have to save a little longer if I want to snag this one.

Thanks for any input!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
I can make it for that amount, no worries, and does it matter to those that are in their minds buying a legacy, to be admired, on a desk or cabinet. It’s not a Super-steel, does it matter. No meteorite alloys, but like a Rolex, gives one a sense of satisfaction we will gladly pay for.
Value is personal.. Check out Claudio Sobral ( Sobral Brothers in Buenos Aires Argentina)
, simply otherworldly.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Y3vllPf

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got the hots for a Randall, but AG Russell says 6-8 months to get one versus 5 years from Randall.

I, of course, want it NOW! Then there's the little matter of paying for it Wink . I can't make myself buy one off the 'bay since I don't know if it'll come at all or as described or maybe it'll be a "made in India" copy) Big Grin .

The Gambler and the Guardian are pretty nice and, of course, a 1-7 is the classic, especially with stag and, gotta be stainless.

Other than A. G. Russell, anyone know of any place that might have some in stock? I know I gotta pay over retail, but it's a question of what they have and how much over retail.

EDIT: I have been all over the 'net, lots of places advertise 'em, but, when I go to the site, they are "out of stock."

So, maybe I'll just cool my jets and see what turns up. Pretty set on a stainless Gambler, Guardian or 1-7 so ....

Bob

This message has been edited. Last edited by: straightshooter1,

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
If'n yer thinkin' 'bout a Randall, get the money in hand before you even look. As P220 discovered above, they seem to vanish quick. I sometimes wonder what my wife will do with mine after I croak. Sure hope she doesn't sell them for what I told her I paid! Frown

One of the best way is to buy from other guys browsing around the gun show.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
So, the Gambler was removed from the AG Russell site for several weeks. When I searched for it, nothing appeared. This past week, it did reappear on their site.

However, it does show it is out of stock.

I have seen it in stock and available twice in the last year. Both times, I hesitated and lost out.

The money has been allocated for this knife and the next time it shows "available" I will pull the trigger.

I have talked with a Rep at AG Russell and she said they occasionally receive them and then list them as in stock.

If I do not see it in stock within the next couple of months, I may just pull the trigger and order it, then wait 6-8 months.

Every time I pull the pic up from AG Russell, I still find this one of the most beautiful (not necessarily the most functional for me) knives ever.

I have looked at dozens of configurations of the Gambler, different woods, metals (other than the blade) and sizes (4"-vs-5").

This is the one I want.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
P-220, if that's the one you want, then that's the one you should get. If you have to wait 6-8 months, then that's not really a big deal. It's not like you need it to actually use in the next few months. If you don't get, or don't order it you'll be second guessing yourself forever.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
This is one I will hang on to. 25-5 with brass furniture. Nice stag.

This one is on it's way to me. 12-8 Bear Bowie. I certainly understand the draw of a Randall purchase.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2743 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Delivered to me today Bear Bowie 12-8

Posts: 2743 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I couldn't find one in the model I wanted.

My buddy had an Ox Forge knife (we've swapped it back and forth two/three times) and I got that back.

Stag handle, great blade, looks like a Randall 1-7 but no sheath. It's vacationing in Texas now getting a kydex one made.

I guess I'll settle for that at least for now.

Bob

Posts: 1558 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen many Bear Bowies with single hilts. Nice. I have always liked that blade shape.

I am thinking of getting a Stanaback Special, a different Bowie variant.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
I haven't seen many Bear Bowies with single hilts. Nice. I have always liked that blade shape.

I am thinking of getting a Stanaback Special, a different Bowie variant.

I like it , but wouldn't mind a Stanaback Special either. My favorite is still the 25 and the 28.

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I received confirmation of an inbound package for Saturday before 9:00 pm.

Stay Tuned!!!!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Well, it is finally here. At almost age 60, I have my first Randall and I gotta' tell ya', it is beautiful, at least to me.

For your viewing pleasure.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve