SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    This will probably be my new EDC
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This will probably be my new EDC Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
I just received my Pro-Tech Malibu Reverse Tanto Button Lock Flipper (5201). I've been waiting for one for some time and thus far, it appears to have been worth the wait.

The fit and finish is excellent. The finish on the handles is smooth and flawless. The blade is nicely centered and locks up very tightly against the stop with zero side play about the pivot.

The flipper is quite possibly the best I've used to date. It opens smoothly and with authority from any position I've tried it in. Light jimping on the flipper helps with deploying the blade. The tip tapers to one of the sharpest points I've encountered on a knife.

One thing I wish it had was jimping on the handles near the pivot and possibly extending to the spine of the blade from the blade stop. Also, when using the button lock to unlock and close the blade, you really need to pay attention to the location of your fingers if you attempt to close the blade one-handed. I plan on getting in the habit of using both hands to close this knife whenever possible.

I'm quite pleased with this knife at this early stage and unless I discover any major issues in the next week or so, I'll probably make it my new EDC.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Very, very nice!

Congratulations!!! Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
REALLY nice cutter there!!!! Great steel and beautifully built. I really like these!!!!!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
Thanks, ersatzknarf. The more I handle it, the more I'm liking it. I've been used to Axis locks for a bit so the button lock is taking some getting used to but I'm getting there. For now, I'm still using two hands to close it since I've become rather fond of my fingers.

This is the first CPM-20CV knife I've owned, sybo. From what I've read, it should be somewhat like M390, so while I'm not really looking forward to having to sharpen it, its edge retention will hopefully lengthen time between sharpening.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post