SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Essential Edge    Edit: Ground it myself. Who to have regrind a knife blade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit: Ground it myself. Who to have regrind a knife blade? Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted
New rules and I need a shorter blade. I like the knife but it needs to lose a 1/4” or so and clean up the edge too. Maybe a rough Tanto shape.

2.5” from the edge of the grip to tip of the blade. Knives in that blade length generally have too small of handles or very small. I’d rather not buy another knife.

Thinking of getting a Delica, Endura or ZT 0350 done. I don’t want to go without or step down to a pen knife etc.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Riley,

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
While I don’t have my shop anymore, I could probably get you someone to do the job. Probably not cheap..
Buy more knives…………

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I suspect a regrind will cost more than finding a suitable new knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If it was me and since I already have the ken onion with the blade grinder attachment, I would do it myself.

I would use a P80 Ceramic, 60 micron belt. Use light pressure to not overheat the blade and let the belt do the work. Be patient. That's what I use to repair nicks and remove material fast to get it near the final shape. Then go down in grits and refine the edge until sharpened to your liking.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
As stated above, such work by a reputable knifemaker is not cheap nor will it be a fast turn around.

Ban Tang does nice work and it will be sharper than you can dream of. But he is neither cheap nor will it happen quickly.

There are a ton of great options out there today in small fixed blades that would beet your requirements that would cost less. You also might consider a custom which won't be cheap but can be whatever vision you have of the perfect blade.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Albert is a member here. Great work.
https://www.knifesharpeningseattle.com

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 353 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Almost done, a little hand work with a file and a good stone and good enough. Bumped the flat but that should polish out.

I shan’t be putting any of the pros out of work anytime soon, but I like it. I was going for a look similar to the Spyderco PM with the Tanto like blade.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The end result looks like a better transition than your mark up.

And you feel like you know your knife better having spent some time with it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post