SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just discovered the kumquat
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just discovered the kumquat Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
These things are pretty damn good. I saw them at the grocery store and decided to give them a shot. I had to Google the right way to eat them. I now wish they showed up more often.

It's almost like an orange crossed with a grape tomato. I like to roll them between my fingers to get the sweet oil to come out. Plus, the longer you chew it, the sweeter it gets. Interesting.

Who knew that kumquat could be more than a good safe word?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We had a tree in our yard when I was a kid in Tampa....I remember them being sour?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11280 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Super common in Taiwan. Goes great mixed with green tea.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have a few trees in my garden in Charleston. They grow in cooler climates.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Canned candied kumquats are the bomb!

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Kumquats

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
Back in the 50/60’s they were pretty common here as a different taste of sweet/sour citrus. Kind of fell out of favor along with the huge quava fruit.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the late 70's, we moved from KY to Florida, South St Pete to be exact - and the next door neighbor was this old lady who took it upon herself to keep me fed that summer - man I had soo many toasts and muffins with homemade kumquat jellies, jams and my favorite marmalade. One of my fondest memories of the summer we moved there.

Edit - wow I had my time off - it was late 70's not early 80's - sigh - so many years ago now

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
I've never considered the Kumquat.

Now, if someone changed the name to, let's say, the Christie Brinkley, then I might be interested.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Safe word huh?
Just why do you need one, flesheatingvirus?

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Here’s the secret: squeeze out the juice! Yes! Believe it or not, a kumquat is completely the opposite of most citrus fruit: the juice is sour and the skin is sweet!

Isn’t that strange? Not only does this make the kumquat sweeter, but (as Hillary at Epicurus Gourmet pointed out), it also gets rid of the seeds! Now that I am the owner of a gorgeous kumquat tree, when I eat the fruit, I nibble the top part of the kumquat, squeeze out the juice, and pop the rest of it into my mouth.

It is truly as sweet as candy! I have told several other friends who have been just as amazed as I was, but so pleasantly surprised. Also, they have very little juice, so it’s not really being wasteful…”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Thanks to this thread I ate my first kumquat yesterday. Several, in fact. After some experimenting, I now eat only the peel and dump the rest of the fruit. The opposite of all other citrus fruits.

I find the peel to be tasty, and its flavor is much different than anything else – an additional virtue.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
I am reminded another very sweet tropical fruit that initially looks somewhat like the kumquat, in size, shape, and color. However, it is not of the citrus family and its skin is smooth and nice to the touch. They were pretty rare in both FL and TX where I encountered them, so when I found them ripe, usually in odd places, I always devoured them on the spot. Seeking them now, canned or dried, imported from Asia, it seems they are hard to get and pricey. These are the loquat.
Cool

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post