SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coffee mug immersion heater.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coffee mug immersion heater. Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
Have you ever used one? Do they work well?

We are heading out on a trip and my wife is packing 7 bowls of precooked rice they sell in the market. It needs hot water. We will be unable to cook in our room and no microwave.

If my wife does not have her daily ration of rice she becomes Kim Jung Un.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
That item looks like something previously marketed for making hot water for coffee or tea in a cup....Maybe for small container with small quanities of precooked rice it might work.... Possibly suggest trying to use it prior to leaving on your trip................ drillsgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they get water hot enough for tea or coffee. I’d imagine you could heat enough water with it to pour into the rice but you probably shouldn’t put the heater in the rice itself as it’s just for heating water. The rice will stick to it. One of those tiny, single-serve rice cookers would probably be much better.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've used one and it was for boiling water for coffee. Your picture looks like it's for an actual cup. Mine was to put it in a kettle.

I was going to show you what I bought but it's unavailable. Here is one that is close to it. Immersion Water Heater Electric Camping Accessories - 300W - 120/240V - Dual Voltage Portable Water Heater Travel Accessories - Immersion Heater for Tea

I see this one is 300 watt. The ones I bought were 450 to 2000 Watts. But 300 Watts should do the trick to boil water.

Here's are some tips: Do not use it as a vaporizer; my wife did on a trip because I was sick and it burnt up. Always keep it immersed in water while using. And soon as you're done and got the water hot enough to your needs and don't need the heater any more, unplug it and put it under cold water to minimize oxidation.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. Yes, the plan was to heat the water and add it to the rice.

We will buy one and try it out.

50 years, gotta keep the boss happy.

BIDEN SUCKS.

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've used one a lot for heating a mug of water but it was years ago. I had no idea you could still buy one today. Worked great in the old days.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would get one of the small electric kettles . More versatile .

Posts: 4063 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
That is what Convicts in prison used to call a stinger according to my father whom at one time was a guard at the Southern Michigan Prison, Jackson Michigan, in the early 60's. They could not have hot plates in thier cells but this was allowed for hot chocolate and instant coffee. Worked real good at that time. If the inmate got out of line one of the punishments was the confinscation of thier stinger. I've had a few that I used to heat instant soup or coffee in my Army barracks room back in the day. They work great until they didn't.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I've used one a lot for heating a mug of water but it was years ago. I had no idea you could still buy one today. Worked great in the old days.

Me too. Had it my dorm room in college.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
If you can’t cook in your room, doesn’t that heater count as cooking?

A better option is one of those mini $20 1 cup rice cookers at Walmart, if that fits in your luggage.

Also… where on this planet are you going that rice isn’t available?

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use that exact one I think when traveling for bodybuilding shows when I have to deal with not being able to eat in restaurants. It’s great to quickly boil up a cup of water. I use it for coffee, tea, and oatmeal - probably the oatmeal process is similar to your rice need. Do note that if you take it out of the water before unplugging it it can fail quickly. I take 2 just in case.

Posts: 22 | Location: DFW | Registered: September 10, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have something similar to this. . .

Amazon - Boiling Carafe

. . .and it works very well and may be relatively safer to handle.

The one we have heats about 12 oz. of cold water to boil in just under three mins.

Posts: 3484 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
posted Hide Post
Gotta be an immersion heater. We have a boiling pot at home. Can't take it with us. We also have a mini, a medium and a large rice cooker.

It's not about not being able to get rice with a meal, it's about being PREPARED when you can't. Happy wife, happy life. At 79, she is set in her ways.

BIDEN SUCKS.

posted Hide Post
At 53 they are set in their ways. Lol. I’m thinking they came out of the womb that way.

Posts: 7539 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post