SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone know what kind of leather holster and mag holder secret service agents are issued?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone know what kind of leather holster and mag holder secret service agents are issued? Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
I thought I read several years ago that they are issued Desantis holsters. We just had a POTUS visit a few weeks ago and I saw a couple of the agents' leather but just pieces and I didn't think to ask until later.

I'm just curious but it looked like it wore well.

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Desantis touts their F.A.M.S. holster as being "standard issue for the U.S. Secret Service". (But I don't personally know if that's accurate.)

https://www.desantisholster.com/f-a-m-s-w-lock-hole/

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you. Maybe that’s where I read it.

M
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Desantis touts their F.A.M.S. holster as being "standard issue for the U.S. Secret Service". (But I don't personally know if that's accurate.)

https://www.desantisholster.com/f-a-m-s-w-lock-hole/

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
FYI- Sorr of off topic, the FAMS do not have a “standard issue” holster. Kind of ironic, I think.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Not to sound condescending but by FAMS, are you talking about federal Air Marshal service?

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
FYI- Sorr of off topic, the FAMS do not have a “standard issue” holster. Kind of ironic, I think.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BennerP220:
Not to sound condescending but by FAMS, are you talking about federal Air Marshal service?

quote:

Yes, the Air Marshals.

www.opspectraining.com

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I thought so but wanted to make sure. I completely agree, very ironic.

quote:
quote:

quote:

Yes, the Air Marshals.

Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
I get the distinct feeling they've got a lot of latitude in what they use.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
I thought I read several years ago that they are issued Desantis holsters. We just had a POTUS visit a few weeks ago and I saw a couple of the agents' leather but just pieces and I didn't think to ask until later.

I'm just curious but it looked like it wore well.

Thanks in advance!
Most Fed agencies have something they issue for use at the Academy, and for use in the field. I don't know what that might be for the USSS, and have never bothered to ask any of them what it might be. However, it's unlikely that very many actually use what's issued.

Having worked for three fed agencies, and knowing folks who work at several more, generally the issued holsters are a "one size fits none," proposition. Therefore, most agents end up getting something else, usually sooner than later.

So, most agents are probably using something other than an "issued" holster.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The majority of the Secret Circus guys (and gals) I've worked with were using the FAMS when in plain clothes.

I don't know if they are "Issued" a holster, or it's more like "Here's the list of approved holsters, pick one of the three."

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
In my experience holsters are a personal choice among federal agencies, with some retention criteria.

Tucker Gunleather has recently started making this one.

https://tuckergunleather.com/air-marshal-1/

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. I thought so but wanted to make sure. I completely agree, very ironic.

quote:
quote:

quote:

Yes, the Air Marshals.

The current holster that is most popular with the FAMS is manufactured by High Noon holsters. There is not a single “Air Marshal” holster. There are many holsters in the field that range from Thunder Wear, to AIWB rigs.

That may change though as they are currently looking at changing pistols to something in 9mm.

www.opspectraining.com

posted Hide Post
This Oct 14 documentary may show the holsters:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9030005744

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:
In my experience holsters are a personal choice among federal agencies, with some retention criteria.

Air travel is bad enough already, but that holster looks like it'd make it worse.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23261 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by HayesGreener:

Air travel is bad enough already, but that holster looks like it'd make it worse.

Can't say that I love that one, but I have had several Tucker holsters and currently carry in one. They make good products.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Thank you, everyone! Sigmund, I added that to my calendar. Thank you.

Yeah, that Tucker holster looks neat but I can't see how it would be good sitting on a plane.

Something else made me think that several federal agents like Kramer horsehide scabbards.

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Something else made me think that several federal agents like Kramer horsehide scabbards.
I'm sure that some do, but that's true of virtually any decent holster out there. Among the the tens of thousands of feds, who carry concealed, opinions on what's a good holster vary greatly. I've been a fed for well over a decade, and I can think of only a couple people that bought very expensive, leather, OWB, holsters like the Kramer horsehide scabbards.

When I first got started, leather was more much popular than it is now, but IWB was more popular than OWB. I was considered an oddball when first got started, as I had a horsehide OWB holster (and it was very expensive), and a kydex IWB holster. Most folks just had leather, and few got horsehide. Now, kydex or injection molded "plastic" holsters, and holsters that are a kydex or "plastic" and leather combo, seem much more popular now. However, that's just based on the people I know, although that covers the three agencies I've worked for, and many others I've worked with over the years.

I'm always looking for a better mousetrap when it comes to holsters, so I'm frequently asking people I work with, not just at my agency, but agents working at other agencies. I'm also a firearms and DT instructor, so I feel obligated to find out what's out there, and talking to other people who carry, about the pros and cons of their gear, is a good way to do that. What I've found is, just like the general public who carries, you will find a wide range of personal preferences for concealment holsters.

For example, my current agency is trying to switch to Glock 19s. Most people I work with are researching potential new holsters, because few think the bosses will issue a holster they will want. Can't fault the bosses though, as very few can agents agree on what they like. So the bosses have to make a decision for thousands of people, and it's way too expensive to buy multiple different options. So they pick one that's decent/safe, and allows for people to buy something else that is also safe.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Just asked one. They issue DeSantis but some use Safariland.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I completely understand and agree, DMF.

Thank you, P210.