SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Professional Engineer exam
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Professional Engineer exam Login/Join 
posted
Some time ago there was a thread on the PE Exam. Any help ing the info? I have a great grandson, actually not so great, will be a senior at the U of A next year and would like the info. His A is 395 so far.

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If your grandson is still in college, he'll be taking the FE exam first. (Fundamentals of Engineering). I'm not sure if this test is given twice a year like it used to be, but if so, he needs to get the application in a good 6 months or more before the exam. If he's a good student he should be relatively well prepared, but he does need to download the reference manual and learn how it is laid out so he can utilize it as a reference during the test (it is the only reference material allowed for the FE). He also needs to get one of the approved calculators for the test and learn how to use it (best to restrict himself to just that in school).

A lot a schools have a prep course for their engineering students. He should definitely take that class if it is offered.

The PE exam is the specialty exam that is typically taken after graduation and after working for 4 years under the tuteledge of a PE.

Ken

Posts: 1049 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The credential is well worth it to me. I took the Fundamentals shortly after graduation. I then took the PE review course at a local university prior to taking the actual exam some five years into my career. Once licensed, you can practice engineering for the public with certain defined limits of practice, such as "in your area of expertise and training." There are also continuing education requirements for active licensees. I remember taking four milk crates full of books into the exam along with two calculators. It was eight hours to do eight questions. I passed. I am licensed in TN, number 20,048.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
My wife took the EIT (Engineer in Training) in college, then needed 5 years experience before she could take the test. IIRC, she had to have 2 years design experience along with other types of experience. She took 4 Banker Boxes of books with her and a hand truck to haul them in with. She got her license on the first try with a good score. And as been already stated you have to work under a PE and be able to verify it.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did it a long time ago. Be sure to take the course and practice all the examples. Then put tabs in your books so you can quickly look up what you need. When taking the exam I just skipped any question I was unsure about so as not to waste time, and went back an the end. The hardest thing is waiting for the results

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When my wife sent in her application, the state said she didn't have 2 years in design experience and said she couldn't take the test. She wrote a letter basically saying you can't read, read the application again.
They replied with "you were correct", you do have the required time, but this caused you to miss the deadline. She had to wait 6 months for the next test. Only in NJ!

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Good luck!

Doing my time...

Posts: 5101 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
I had to sit for the EIT to graduate with a BSCE. My application required a letter from two professional engineers that attested to my experience.

I sat for the exam twice, the first time I was not prepared, I didn't have ear plugs, I woman sitting next to me started crying. I didn't have a watch to Guage how long the exam sections were taking me. My calculator I used during study was not on the approved list so I bought one on the way to the exam. I failed by one point.

Second time I was prepared and passed it easily.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4785 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The test is now offered in 4 testing blocks so you can take the test 4 times a year (once during each block). I passed my FE back in October, I graduated in 2009 and had been working in the field since 2013 but your "time" towards being able to take the PE doesn't start until you pass the FE.

My biggest suggestions would be to learn the supplied reference manual inside and out, buy a study manual for the discipline he will be testing in and take the test at the end of a testing block. For instance the first block is Jan-March, if you take the test at the end of march and don't pass you can turn around and take it in April once the new block starts. They use the same test for the entire test block hence why you can only take it once per block.

what sucks the most is you have to study all the topics (18 for my test) and they change every test. On one test all my math questions were trigonometry, the next they were all Differential equations. Same with the Power section, one test was all transformers and the next was mostly power factor correction.

I took the test 3 times in 2015 and twice in 2016 before I passed most of that was due to working 60 hours a week and have a crap home life. It wasn't until my soon to be ex wife moved out and I could study 4 hours a night for a month that I passed.

If he is taking the Electrical exam I have a couple of study manuals he can use ( I won't need them for another 3 years when I start my PE prep.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trust me, I am a
Professional Engineer.
Picture of RespectTheAmish
posted Hide Post
The first step for your grandson would be the FE exam next fall or spring. Then 4 years of experience or a mix of more education and experience. Then the type of work he wants to do with his degree, will determine if he needs to sit for the PE, PlS, SE or if he even has to.

Posts: 482 | Location: Wish I was in Indy | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GA Gator:
I had to sit for the EIT to graduate with a BSCE.
Wow, at my University they encouraged all the engineering undergrads to take the EIT exam, but it wasn't required to get the degree. I skipped it because I was in AFROTC, and was going to pilot training. When I washed out of pilot training I sure wished I had studied for and taken the exam.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The kids now can take the PE exam right after college while the material is freshest in their mind (provided they have their FE). They just can't get their license until they have 4 years experience. An MS gives 1 year credit toward the 4.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I didn't bother with Engineering accreditation after graduation (BSChE) in 1960 because as an AFROTC cadet I'd be going into USAF immediately and knew I'd not be working in Chem Eng. I later got a MSIE and never worked in that, either.

However, anyone who is expecting to actually work as an Engineer is well advised to get the proper accreditation.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Keystoner:
The kids now can take the PE exam right after college while the material is freshest in their mind (provided they have their FE). They just can't get their license until they have 4 years experience. An MS gives 1 year credit toward the 4.

I would have failed the PE if I had taken it right out of college. I had about 5 years experience when I took it and it really wasn't that bad. I didn't really take much time to prepare for it.

The FE (EIT) was the most miserable test I've ever taken. It was the only test that actually made my head hurt. I remember people getting up to leave about 45 minutes before the lunch break and thinking to myself that I couldn't believe all these people were finished already. I was beating myself up. When I left for lunch, I was listening in and realized that most of the people just gave up and walked out. I think on the chemistry portion of the FE I knew two of the questions, the rest were answered "C".

My best advice I can give is to 1)take the FE within 1 year of graduation. I waited longer and I'm sure it made it more difficult, and 2) do every practice test you can get your hands on. Read each question and think, can I answer this one quickly, will it take a few minutes, or WTF. If you can't answer it right away, skip it and move on. Come back to the ones that you can do, but will take a little time and work through those. If you complete the first two groups, then start on the WTF problems. I've seen too many people get hung up on test questions and never get to ones that would have taken them less than a minute or two to answer.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not sure of the rules with all the states but I don't see how this is possible. You can't take the FE until your Senior year of college and all the states that I'm aware of require you to work for 4 years after passing the FE at which you apply to your review board for permission to take the PE.

I know some states allow you to take the PE after graduating with a PhD without work experience. Plus they have been trying to pass the requirement for 30 post graduation college hours to be eligible for the PE.

Posts: 2489 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The rumor that has been going on for the last 5 years is that you will be required to have a Masters to take the test. We'll see on that one.

Living the Dream

posted Hide Post
I took the EIT my senior year in college and passed but pretty much forgot about it. At that time (1964) PA didn't require passing the EIT to take the PE exam but other states did so we were encouraged to take it. A couple of years later PA did require the EIT but I was "grandfathered" so it was nice to have but not a necessity.

PA did require 5 years of professional experience before taking the PE exam. I took the exam (and passed!) in 1973 after my company sponsored a refresher course.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sureshot45:
quote:

I'm not sure of the rules with all the states but I don't see how this is possible. You can't take the FE until your Senior year of college and all the states that I'm aware of require you to work for 4 years after passing the FE at which you apply to your review board for permission to take the PE.

I know some states allow you to take the PE after graduating with a PhD without work experience. Plus they have been trying to pass the requirement for 30 post graduation college hours to be eligible for the PE.

In Illinois, you can pass the PE after college and get your license after 4 years of experience.

Year V

Posts: 2613 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post