SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Navy Has First Female Applicants for SEAL Officer, Special Boat Units
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Navy Has First Female Applicants for SEAL Officer, Special Boat Units Login/Join 
Be Careful What You Wish For...
Picture of Monk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by caneau:
quote:
Originally posted by IHooah:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Great news so long as the standards are the same (and from everything I've heard, it sounds like they are).

The first female could be a male and he would only be required to meet the standards set for females.

From the article posted above:

"It's possible, however, that the first female member of these elite communities will come not from the outside, but from within. In October, a SWCC petty officer notified their chain-of-command that they identified as being transgender, Salata confirmed to Military.com

According to Navy policy guidance released last fall, a sailor must receive a doctor's diagnosis of medical necessity and command approval to begin the gender transition process, which can take a variety of different forms, from counseling and hormone therapy to surgery. Sailors must also prove they can pass the physical standards and requirements of the gender to which they are transitioning."

All the more reasons the standards should be the same!

As for the body weight issue, it's not an issue. There are 110 lbs. males and 170 lbs. females that are all muscle. We're not talking about the "average male: or the "average female." This is the top whatever fraction of a percentage of athletes in already physically-selective organizations.

Statistically speaking, most female performance at the elite levels is only a hair behind men. Here's a great article as to why: https://www.theatlantic.com/te...t-theyre-not/260927/
If you look at something like marathon times, the female times start at ~20th fastest time ever.

What does that mean in this case -- will a woman ever post the best "score" in one of these elite special warfare schools? Probably not. Will a few pass? Yeah, almost certainly.

Female performance at elite levels is not just a hair behind men. Men absolutely crush women in every activity when you compare top performers. In the article it points out that the best women perform at about 90 percent of the capability of the best men. That is an enormous differenece.

Which is plenty good enough for women to qualify for special forces. And 15 minutes behind on a marathon or half a second behind at 100m is not "crushing". I doubt single person on this forum could complete with the elite female athletes of any given Olympic sport. Any special forces program is way less selective than an Olympic or World Championship podium for athletic events.

High school boys' teams, and sometimes even younger, have beaten Olympic-caliber women at their events. There's just too great a physical disparity between men and women.

Georgeair: "...looking around my house this morning, it's not easily defended for long by two people in the event of real anarchy. The entryways might be slick for the latecomers though...."

Posts: 11865 | Location: Hoisting the colors in a strange land | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Tell me why women must be there. It's indescribably ridiculous that we're having to deal with this stupid fucking shit AT ALL.

I don't give a rat's ass about women trying to "break glass ceilings". That shit makes me want to puke.

Just stay out of the way and let the men do the fighting, unless you gals want to make it an all-female armed forces, since you're such hard-charging badasses in the main, huh? Fucking ridiculous. It really is.

Nobody must be in the military or in the Special Forces. They're both all volunteer last time I checked.

Why they should be there is that they made the cut and met the standards, edging out someone else who scored worse. Contrary to your point, I don't give a rat's ass if someone is a woman, black, gay, from a different ethnic background, or anything else that has been historically used as a limiter to military service. Set the standards high, administer them fairly, and regularly reevaluate performance. Because so far I've yet to see evidence that a particular group is integrated, military performance decreases. 150 years of an increasingly integrated military seems to point to just the opposite.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The day will not come when you'll hear me say that this is a good idea and that I'm OK with it. I don't give a shit about the perceived political need to mix in women with men in fighting units of our armed forces. Let me put it this way: having women in fighting units of United States armed forces is one of the very worst ideas I've heard in all my years on this rock.

You need to see evidence that this crap is a bad idea? You may very well get that evidence, in the worst possible and most humiliating way for our country.

People have lost their freaking minds, I swear to God they have.

Leave the fighting to the men. Stupid, stupid, dangerous shit, and all for the sake of appearances. God

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After at least 15 years of hyping the idea of women in combat units, the IDF is admitting that women suffer injuries at a much higher rate than men during combat training – despite the fact that training requirements for women in combat are considerably less demanding than for men.

Bold is mine.

Posts: 7019 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I think it is possible for a female to qualify for SWCC, but I think it is a very remote chance. There's no way a female is going to qualify as a SEAL.

Unlike when the 2 women "passed" Ranger training a couple of years ago, there are no leftwing lunatics in the White House forcing a fixed outcome now.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The most powerful thing for a woman is to raise the next generation. There is nothing more powerful. When will the damn progressives realize this one simple fact. There is nothing greater and more powerful than raising childeren and instilling your morals and values to them. Stop trying to fucking fight and do the greatest damn job in the world. Sorry if this offends anyone but I believe it to be the truth. It's in the Bible for christs sakes.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Wow. Equality over standards.

A few years ago tanks ran a program where there were females integrated. AFTER they passed the school (took a bit, and we still have no female tank mechanics even though they have been at school for a while). They had one tank platoon run with females in a company. We called it "pink platoon". They WERE NOT held to the same standards; special circumstances WERE put in place for them. And guess what? Now we have our first female platoon commander. Even though the report came out COMPLETELY negative about integrating females into a tank unit.

Although kudos, on the last BN op I hear she was unfased. White two actual stood up on the turret, stripped down and gave himself an Italian bath, and got dressed. I hear she looked but then popped out her funnnel and peed in her bag in the turret.

Who knows it might work.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Photoman
posted Hide Post
What kind of sick people send their women into war?

+++

Posts: 1561 | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
Anyone who thinks women should be in combat units has NEVER been in combat. War is not like the movies. Women do not belong on battlefields. The End.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nobody must be in the military or in the Special Forces. They're both all volunteer last time I checked.

Why they should be there is that they made the cut and met the standards, edging out someone else who scored worse. Contrary to your point, I don't give a rat's ass if someone is a woman, black, gay, from a different ethnic background, or anything else that has been historically used as a limiter to military service. Set the standards high, administer them fairly, and regularly reevaluate performance. Because so far I've yet to see evidence that a particular group is integrated, military performance decreases. 150 years of an increasingly integrated military seems to point to just the opposite.

Let's take it to the logical conclusion then. Why not scour the planet for enough women to make the cut to outfit a 100% female Spec Ops or infantry unit? If they make the cut, the unit should be just as good as an average all-male one right?

BTW, the Marines did study of integrated infantry units....and it was a failure. Lower performance and higher injuries rates...but Congress and the administration at the time didn't care.

The men who make it through aren't barely making the cut. They are blowing it out of the water. They may have one weak area, but far exceed the minimums in the rest (I'm talking volunteer spec. ops) Nobody makes it through barely squeeking by in just about everything.

In the line infantry, sure we have the weakling guys...and everyone else has to share their load. They are the first to drop out of marches or slow down movements.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another thought just for perspective for those who haven't been in a demanding military unit:

On at least 3 different occasions, while in an infantry unit, I have gone on training missions far, far, FAR! more difficult than anything, any standard, in either enlisted infantry qualification, officer infantry qualification or Ranger School!

One of them was in a straight leg, low-speed infantry unit. That one was the hardest, and it was still just a training exercise, not combat.

Getting through the qualification is not the hardest part...you got to live the life after. Ask any infantryman or Spec Ops vet you know, I bet they'll confirm.

The difference is, the unit training OPs and combat missions are a lot shorter duration, but you still have to do it. The qualification training standards are easier...but it is mid-high level misery for a few months vs, extreme demands for a few days.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
This is such a stupid idea, only the Washington DC bubble could have thought women as a US Navy Seal was a good idea.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Let's take it to the logical conclusion then. Why not scour the planet for enough women to make the cut to outfit a 100% female Spec Ops or infantry unit? If they make the cut, the unit should be just as good as an average all-male one right?.

The Israeli's tried this. It didn't work out as planned.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
They must not have tried to group the females so that everyone is PMS-ing at the same time. Send a SOF, all-PMS female unit into battle and Akbar will be begging for mercy.

quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
Let's take it to the logical conclusion then. Why not scour the planet for enough women to make the cut to outfit a 100% female Spec Ops or infantry unit? If they make the cut, the unit should be just as good as an average all-male one right?.

The Israeli's tried this. It didn't work out as planned.

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post