SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks: I Just Don’t Get The Attraction
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks: I Just Don’t Get The Attraction Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
People LOVE Starbucks. My wife loves them.

I just can’t get into them no matter how much I try.

The wife was headed to our local Starbucks to meet her sister and she brought an iced coffee home with her for me.

I’m sorry but it tastes like burnt mud to me Confused

Does anyone else here just not get the hype over this stuff?

Posts: 33866 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They market to a certain demographic. Kind of like Chucky Cheese but in a different way.

Posts: 17268 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Burnt mud is the description I have been looking for for years! You nailed it.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Not a fan. Give me Quick Trip, McDonalds or 7-11. Or white Table cloth restaurant coffee.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I no longer drink coffee. I've developed a caffeine sensitivity or something.
But when I did, I do agree that Starbucks had the most burnt, darkest of the dark roasted flavors I've encountered.
We have bookstores w/ fancy coffee that I've not had that problem.
I miss Dunkin' Donuts' coffee. I miss being able to drink coffee. I don't miss Starbucks.

Posts: 7373 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
I enjoy their beans. I can control the grind and intensity. Starbucks drip coffee in store is burnt mud.

I enjoy the occasional latte. Their espresso seems on point. But I’m no expert.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Starbucks excels with their espresso drinks. If I have to turn to a Starbucks for coffee, it's an Americano, and they're quite good. Even my French wife appreciates their lattes over most other places, mainly because they're very consistent.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30427 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
The supermajority of Starbucks customers have so much fat and sugar in their coffee that they can't taste the burnt beans.

I don't know anybody who drinks black coffee that like Starbucks. The only exception is the blonde roast which isn't burnt in the roasting process.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23313 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Starbucks=swill. I much prefer Dunkin' Donuts when I get coffee away from home.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
When Starbucks was still a relatively unknown (or perhaps my tastes were still unsophisticated, more so than today), they were not bad. But when they started to spread, it became swill. I have more interest in perhaps trying spam again (haven’t touched it for 35+ years) than I do going to Starbucks.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12752 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
There coffees have a bitter aftertaste to me.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yup I agree. Burnt mud, bitter aftertaste. But if it’s between them and Dunks I go Starbucks. I’d rather strong bitter flavor than weak crap. That being said I use Starbucks French Roast in my Keurig and like it a lot.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12448 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Most here are commenting about their drip coffee, which is nasty burnt crap.

If you asked the typical customer of Starbucks, that's not what they drink at all. They mostly drink caffeinated milkshakes with sugar, sugar, cream, and more sugared whipped cream. That's the attraction.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I like their drip coffee, if fresh.
Currently I'm on a Nitro Cold Brew kick.
Good stuff, especially during summer days.
I like it straight-up black, nothing added.

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I worked for Caribou coffee… Before it became a national chain that it is now.

We had bumper stickers that said “friends don’t let friends drink burnt and bitter coffee…”

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12346 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those coffee flavored warm milkshakes many Starbucks customers drink are 500-600 calories. Drink two in a day and women are at more than half of their entire daily calorie intake needs. No wonder everyone is fat. Whenever I have to go to Starbucks - not by choice but because some one I am with insists on going there, I get some form of tea.

I really don't get it at all. When I go to the airport for an early morning flight, invariably there is a line of people stretching all the way across the main terminal aisle waiting to get Starbucks.

I don't drink coffee in general, but my ex said the same thing about Starbucks being burnt.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don’t really think too many people go there for their coffee. Every time I have been there most people (including myself) get something that resembles a dessert with the name Frappuccino of some sort or some brightly colored drink.

There is literally 5 Starbucks that I could pass on my daily route and every single one of them is backed out of the parking lot onto the street so they must be doing something right.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I like 2 of their drinks and their hot teas. My Wife likes them much more. I don’t exactly understand why but I don’t really have to. If She digs it, that is her prerogative, I spend my quandary time on other subjects.

Posts: 3161 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
I have never even been in a Starbucks.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
The only drinks I've ever bought from Starbuck's is some or another caramel frappuccino creation that probably has about a bazillion calories. But, boy, is it ever tasty Big Grin

My wife and I call such things "candy coffee." Same with some of McD's coffee drinks.

I've still got a *$'s gift certificate somewhere around here. Don't even know if it's any good any longer.

In my journey from common, off-the-shelf supermarket coffee brewed in a Mr. Coffee to where I am today, I briefly used Starbuck's whole bean coffee, "ground" with a whirly blade "grinder" at the time.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post