SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Starbucks: I Just Don’t Get The Attraction
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Starbucks: I Just Don’t Get The Attraction Login/Join 
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
If I were to rate their coffee like their regular Pikes Peak:

1- being that little cup generated in a machine I drank at 3:00am while in college at the University of Houston Computer Center
or
10- from my French Press from freshly ground beans with Black Rifle or Grounds from Hounds made at home.

Starbucks would be 7 and you could detract points for value.

Posts: 22941 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Starbucks must have a huge turnover rate. You can't get anything that's consistent from day to day or location to location. It's always a crap shoot and just one of the reasons we no longer go there.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Someone asked a coffee broker in Columbia if he’d ever done business with Starbucks. His answer, “Yes, they buy the cheapest beans we have.”

A guy on dad’s pipeline crew got tired of having to make the “jungle” coffee every morning. So, he started talking up the benefits of adding a pinch of dried cow manure to the pot to “settle” the coffee grounds. That’s when the whole crew decided he’d been making the coffee long enough; it was someone else’s turn. I’ve forgotten the guy’s name, but it sounded like Startruck. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Dunkin' over Starbuck's. If no Dunkin', I'll gladly pass up Starbuck's and drink the coffee on the plane; honestly...it isn't that bad. Starbuck's gives me the shakes...for some reason, I'm more sensitive to the caffeine in their roast. Drink BRCC Just Decaf at home...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Their coffee isn't bad but certainly overpriced.

This ^^^^^

I wonder how many people calling it "charbucks" actually know what truly good coffee, brewed from freshly-ground, freshly-roasted Arabica beans tastes like? Coffee brewed with the correct grind/water ratio, water the correct brewing temperature, and the correct extraction rate?

Precious few, I suspect.

Like I wrote earlier: In my journey from stale, pre-ground supermarket coffee brewed in a Mr. Coffee--which guaranteed said coffee was incorrectly brewed, for a short time I was buying whole-bean Starbuck's coffee. It was about on-par with the Gevalia coffees I'd tried. (IIRC, I went from Starbuck's, to Gevalia, to locally-roasted. [Then to Costco and back to locally-roasted.])

quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Dunkin' over Starbuck's.

Dunkin's coffee ain't half-bad, either. Nor is McD's.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

I wonder how many people calling it "charbucks" actually know what truly good coffee, brewed from freshly-ground, freshly-roasted Arabica beans tastes like? Coffee brewed with the correct grind/water ratio, water the correct brewing temperature, and the correct extraction rate?

Precious few, I suspect.

I certainly know what good coffee tastes like and Charbucks isn't!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
It took years for me to try St*r*ucks, actually in their very first location some decades ago.

I do prefer the darker version. Maybe once every year or 3 I'll try them again, as a convenience.

They still give the vague sneer & attitude when I order a "small black". They'll attempt to install their version of 'correct talk' by repeating the order in the approved format. I'll reorder again as if they are hearing impaired or slow witted.

I believe the only thing added that improves "coffee" is "whiskey", but since that memory is long past, "Black coffee" of a certain quality satisfies. Everything else is a condiment to satisfy the customers whim.

The best cup I ever had, was heavy on "coffee expresso" from a buddy's high $ Italian machine. Vaguely similar to bald1 photo.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I've been in Starbucks exactly twice, both times to use the bathroom. And even then I wasn't impressed. Thank god I don't drink coffee, so they aren't even on my radar...well, unless I need to go to the bathroom.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
bald1, you have an entire kitchen devoted to coffee-making paraphernalia? Do you do anything else there?

I don't drink coffee. Somewhere I have an old percolator my mom left in 1989. I don't get many visitors and if they get coffee it's instant.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I met the East Asia Chief Marketing Officer for Illy coffee in China about a decade ago. We were eating in the same hotel restaurant and I saw him ask the waitress to show him the bag of beans used to make the coffee - he was spot checking that they weren't substituting cheaper beans to save money when Illy was on the menu. He was French, drinking his daily bottle of wine with dinner. We chatted a bit and I got his card. He was French, but Illy is Italian.

Since then I have suggested Illy to coffee addicts and in general they have told me it is very good.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:

Precious few, I suspect.

I can’t speak for what you like your coffee to taste like. Coffee is a hobby of mine and I brew in many different ways. I also frequent local coffee shops that roast their own beans. In all cases the coffee I drink is more flavorful and far less bitter (burnt) tasting. As far as espresso goes forget about it, Charbucks ain’t even close. My .02.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Just an aside - I'm a grouchy old fart I guess, but I just don't understand how ordering coffee takes more than 2-3 words. Black, espresso, americano, latte double shot. This is familiar.

But when the order sounds like: blah blah soy blah blah extra blah blah no blah blah blah with blah blah blah and a shot of blah blah blah - I know I'm in the wrong place.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12754 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

Precious few, I suspect.

Like I wrote earlier: In my journey from stale, pre-ground supermarket coffee brewed in a Mr. Coffee--which guaranteed said coffee was incorrectly brewed, for a short time I was buying whole-bean Starbuck's coffee. It was about on-par with the Gevalia coffees I'd tried. (IIRC, I went from Starbuck's, to Gevalia, to locally-roasted. [Then to Costco and back to locally-roasted.])

quote:
Dunkin' over Starbuck's.

Dunkin's coffee ain't half-bad, either. Nor is McD's.

Exactly what I say about Kona coffee which is all I drink at home.

And yes, McD's and Dunkin are pretty good for chain coffee.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went there one time with a friend who loved it there. I asked for their house coffee black. It was awful!! I have never been back.

Posts: 6632 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
good
quote:

Exactly what I say about Kona coffee which is all I drink at home.

Do tell, what kind of and where from is your Kona coffee? I need a reliable supplier. Thanks.

Posts: 11862 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Do tell, what kind of and where from is your Kona coffee? I need a reliable supplier. Thanks.

Here's one that's good:
https://www.greenwellfarms.com/100-kona-coffee/

And another:
https://konagoldhawaii.com/col...sEAMYAiAAEgI0SfD_BwE

One more:
https://www.konamountaincoffee.com/collections/coffee

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dunkin' over Starbuck's. If no Dunkin', I'll gladly pass up Starbuck's and drink the coffee on the plane; honestly...it isn't that bad. Starbuck's gives me the shakes...for some reason, I'm more sensitive to the caffeine in their roast. Drink BRCC Just Decaf at home...

Pilots definitely don't need the shakes. Especially on the flights i'm on.Smile

I've never tried Dunkin but always heard it was good. I actually like McDonalds better than most.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Regarding Dunkin, it's weak. It's what I grew up on before coffee exploded like microbrew beer did. Anyhow even if you like Dunkin when it's good, they have become incredibly inconsistent. I've had very good iced coffee from them and then others that are so weak you can't taste coffee, and other days it's as bitter as Starbucks and taste worse.

I'm actually quite satisfied with my Keurig. But if I had the time and money I'd be figuring out how to make the coffee I had in Germany. Espresso sized, strong and smooth. Needed no sugar and no cream. I loved it. Honestly I've been considering the Nespresso machine because they had that in the lunch room at work in Germany and it was also very good. The Germans that come here to work on our equipment bring a Nespresso machine with them.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12450 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Caramel frappacino with two shots of espresso poured on top and whipped cream.

Otherwise, meh, they can suck on the big 6" Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
<<snip>>
In fact, there are some gas stations with better coffee than Starbucks, for a fraction of the price.

Yep, the Mapco stations in my area have a dark roast that I usually get whenever I buy coffee there, and it is quite good... most of the time! Doesn't require doctoring up to be tasty...

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post