SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thunder in the Hills - Sturgis 2022
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thunder in the Hills - Sturgis 2022 Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Today was the official first day of the Rally.

Other live cams:
Sturgis: https://www.sturgis-sd.gov/web...n-and-around-sturgis
https://sturgismotorcyclerally.com/webcams/
Deadwood: https://www.iplivecams.com/liv...akota-united-states/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Earlier today I read about the origins of the Sturgis rally and "Pappy".

Fascinating !

Been there twice, but never knew the history.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yeah Pappy Hoel started things in 1938 with promoting dirt track racing in Sturgis to help grow his then new Indian motorcycle dealership. He was a huge friend to WWII Vets after the war.
Things have grown dramatically over the 82 years since he started it off. Big Grin

As an aside, despite the weather here, South Dakota has more motorcycles per capita than any other State in the Union. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was all packed up to head out to Sturgis today, but I've been fighting a bad head cold for two days and I think I might miss it now. Ugh. I've been about 15 times, including the last two years, but it still sucks when a plan falls apart.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I’ve been to Sturgis 4 times but only once when the rally was going on, and that was by accident. It looked like a giant party, I stopped and walked Main Street looking at the thousands of bikes, and people Smile, then continued on my way home. I couldn’t have ridden anywhere in the area anyway then because all the roads were clogged up with parades of riders.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7040 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
Years past we used to have droves of motorcyclists go through town on their way to the rally, but not so much anymore. I'm not sure of the reason, but I miss the sounds of those bikes as they pass through.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2073 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talked yesterday with a motorcycle parts rep that was working there and he said it was slower than expected. Maybe fuel prices are keeping the Winnebago crowd from going.

Posts: 406 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been three times. Two for the rally and one during a vacation with the wife to MT. Rushmore. Good times.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
Talked yesterday with a motorcycle parts rep that was working there and he said it was slower than expected. Maybe fuel prices are keeping the Winnebago crowd from going.

I'm hearing the crowds are good but spending is down somewhat. That said it is really too early yet to get a good read.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I made it there three times, with my last time in 2001. I had a good time every time, and wish that I was able to make the trip again.....but I am not.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been there 3 times on the Harley, once with the Family when I was a lil kid, again a few years ago with my Family.
Family stuff was off season with the Rally, but still a great time with plenty to see and do in a beautiful chunk of this Country! One of these years, I'll try to get out there again on a Harley. Because as nice as it is in a car/truck, it's 10X better on a bike!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Visited Sturgis once about 25 years ago the week after the event. As a small town resident I was curious to see it. While impressive country side and incredibly resilient community, the area
Looked stomped flat from overgrazing.

Someday I'll return for another look. My riding days are behind though.

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
They are now saying the crowds so far this year are in fact smaller than previous years.

USN (RET), COTEP #192