SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Headphone recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Headphone recommendation Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys, I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones that are really old (over 20 years) and I have a loose connection inside one of the ear cups so it is time for a new pair. Are there better choices than just buying another set of the same headphones? I can't have noise cancellation as I need to be able to hear the tones when I get a call.

Thanks for any suggestions and I would like to stay under $100 if possible. Wireless is not needed as a cable is fine.

Posts: 1158 | Location: Near Orlando, FL | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have several pairs including those, which I really like.

I had a nice pair of Sennheiser's that lived in one of my road cases but after an unfortunate yet comical mishap with the cable getting stuck in a hotel elevator, I replaced them with a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x which I like even more!

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Shure or Sennheiser. Both are top names:

https://www.sweetwater.com/c41...c2VyIiwiU2h1cmUiXX19

I use a Shure 840 for mixing my band jams. Excellent headset.

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
The Sony MDR-V6 headphone is still a great sounding headphone. I own a couple others, Sennheiser HD 598 and NAD HP50, but I keep coming back to my old Sony MDR-V6. If you like the sound of them I recommend just buying a new pair. If you are considering something different I highly recommend going to a store where you can actually listen to whatever you are considering ideally with your own music player for a reference.

Posts: 9743 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Read up on audiotecnia (sp) they sound better than 1000 dollar headphones that I’ve listened to. Google and read up on the tons of positive reviews

Posts: 435 | Location: rocky river ohio | Registered: February 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Like speakers*, headphones are a very personal choice. Some like Grado. Some Sennheiser. They're different. And so it goes. Best bet is to try to audition models that you're interested in.

I've been a Sennheiser fan for decades having started with a HD414 in the late '60s. Flirted with many others including electrostatics from Koss (1973), dynamics from AKG, Audio-Technica, Sony, etc., but always returned to Sennheiser.

My current headphone battery consists of:
--Sennheiser HD580 (1993) with failed drivers replaced with HD650 units in 2019
--Sennheiser HD600 (2015)
--Philips SHP9500 (2016)

*As an aside I run modified Magneplanars with a custom 18" sub in my main stereo, and Definitive Technology towers with Outlaw Audio subs in my home theater system.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I replaced them with a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M40x which I like even more!
Big thumbs up to the ATH-40x's. Excellent quality for a decent amount of coin.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My recent acquisition pair has been surprisingly far in excess of expectations, for around $70:

SONY Model 7506 "Professional" dynamic stereo headphones;

Exceptional audio depth, long stretchy cord; very comfortable ear cups. Realistic enough sometimes it seems like sound events are real-space bumps-and-clunks.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
For an over the ear headphone, I love my Sony WH 1000XM3's. They have noise canceling, but you can turn the noise cancelation off if you want.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sennheiser. Musical Truth.

Posts: 8 | Location: Jonesboro Ar. | Registered: May 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by esdunbar:
For an over the ear headphone, I love my Sony WH 1000XM3's. They have noise canceling, but you can turn the noise cancelation off if you want.

I got a pair of Bose QC35-II's as a Christmas gift. I was working on a special assignment in one of those new-fangled open-plan work spaces. People talking all around me all the time. I absolutely needed headphones or earbuds to concentrate. I absolutely loved the noise cancelling feature--and wireless bluetooth has unbeatable day-to-day convenience (including Google Assistant integration which reads notifications to me). The Bose QC35 II MSRP's for $349, but I got it from B&H Photo around Christmas for $300 (no sales tax, free shipping).

Then, last week my wife and I took a short plane trip and she wanted to watch some Netflix that I had downloaded onto my phone. She put on my headphones and she was like "WTF! It's so quiet! " She was never really picky about headphones/speakers/sound but I immediately got authorization to buy another $300+ pair of headphones for her. Up until then, the free earbuds they gave you on airplanes were sufficient for her and anything else was a waste of money.

So, last week I ordered her a pair of the Sony WH-1000XM3's. ($260, refurbed from Secondipity.com). The Sony was supposed to be the new headphone to beat in the active noise cancelling headphone realm. They just arrived last night, and the feature set and sound quality is good. Lots of options with sound cancelling--you can set them for different level of ambient noise isolation, or set them up to prioritize ambient voices. I'm breaking them in for her (and making sure they function perfectly as the refurbed item does not carry a full length warranty). The Bose is more comfortable for me--the Sony's are a little bigger and heavier and put a little more pressure on my ears. Both are comfortable, but the Bose just disappear on my particularly wide head.

I won't go back to non-noise canceling headphones.

The strategy makes sense. If you want to enjoy the music, the first step is to control the environment. It was the philosophy I took with home audio--I'd rather have mid-tier speakers in a room that was properly set up with acoustic paneling and bass traps than nice speakers in a tile kitchen. With active noise canceling, I can listen to music at a lower/less fatiguing volume. Yes, I'm not getting the highest quality fidelity, but I would argue that that the highest levels of fidelity really need a quiet listening environment (or custom molded in-ear monitors) to enjoy.

I also have a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and they kick ass. The newer ATH-M50x are about $160, but my older M50 was had for $100 if you can find it. The upgraded M50x has a detachable (replaceable) cord which is nice.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I also have a pair of the Audio Technica ATH-M50 and they kick ass. The newer ATH-M50x are about $160, but my older M50 was had for $100 if you can find it. The upgraded M50x has a detachable (replaceable) cord which is nice.

I have a pair of the M50x headphones, got them on sale at Amazon a couple of years ago for $130 ea. on sale (bought a pair for my son). Excellent headphones, even if they were twice the price.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of these (but the version one variety). $100 when I bought. They're a bit tight since they're geared to DJ's but I just bent the metal that sits on your cranium. Takes a bit to break them in but for $60 I'm gonna buy another pair for when my current ones give up the ghost.

Sennheiser HD 205-II

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1366 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Audio Technica’s that are nice.

But then my son got a pair of Sennheiser “open back” headphones that were on a whole new level. I bought a pair similar pair (HD 650s) and love them.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6395 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't have noise cancellation as I need to be able to hear the tones

a big misunderstanding is that they block out everything, which is far from true. Active noise cancelling technology works best for frequencies below 500 Hz and does not help above 1000 Hz. So you're still going to hear conversations, ringing phones, and all that. The noise isolation of the set will attenuate them a bit, but you'll still hear them. It's things like engine noise and traffic rumble that get blocked best.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post