SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Monday Morning Quote of the Week - a little more personal this time
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Monday Morning Quote of the Week - a little more personal this time Login/Join 
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted
I lost my father in 2016 and my mother in 2018.

Yesterday was my mothers birthday and she would have been 86. While the following was written from a daughters perspective the sentiment and example still applies to me:

I had two mothers – two mothers I claim, Two different people, yet with the same name. Two separate women, diverse by design, but I loved them both because they were mine.

The first was the Mother who carried me here, Gave birth and nurtured and launched my career. She was the one whose features I bear, Complete with the facial expressions I wear.

She gave her love, which follows me yet, Along with the examples in life she set. As I got older, she somehow grew, and we’d laugh as just Mothers and daughters do.

But then came the time that her mind clouded so, And I sensed that the Mother I knew would soon go. So quickly she changed and turned into the other, A stranger dressed in the clothes of my Mother.

Oh, she looked the same, at least at arms length, But now she was the child and I was her strength. We’d come full circle, we women three, my Mother the first, the second and me.

And if my own children should come to a day, When a new Mother comes and the old goes away, I’d ask of them nothing that I didn’t do. Love both your Mothers as both loved you.

– “Two Mothers Remembered” by Joann Snow Duncanson.

Posts: 3731 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jprebb
posted Hide Post
That's beautifully written.

JP

Posts: 2054 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post