SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truck camper shell window strut replacement?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truck camper shell window strut replacement? Login/Join 
I'm older than I look
posted
I have a 1994 F150 I bought used from the original owner who had a color matched GEM Sport camper shell attached to it. The strut is starting to go and the window has crashed down a few times and I thought I'd have a broken rear camper shell window but luckily that hasn't happened yet.

My google-fu may not be strong, but I cannot find Gem Sport replacement struts.

On the strut it says in white lettering: 8852BZ 0615N 095/94 G. The G could be a C. But I'm pretty sure I got everything else correct. I'm wondering if the 095/094 represents that it's for a 1994?

Anyhow, any suggestions? I've seen things on Amazon, etc. but not sure where to start...I guess I can try ordering and returning if they don't work. Would a Grainger type place or maybe an auto parts store sell these?

Again, maybe my search-fu was wrong, but couldn't find them on Grainger or Autozone or the like.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
Remove the struts and measure at full length from center eye to center eye. I would guess a pair of 24# struts in length X would be sufficient for the rear window. After that choose the MFGR you like best.

Posts: 2028 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://cstrucktops.com/index...._page=index&cPath=19

Here's the gas props

https://cstrucktops.com/index....ge=index&cPath=19_33

I've got a few things from this company before and never had a problem

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
The A.R.E. shell I just got had beat gas props. The ends attached to [10mm?] ball fittings on the door & frame and are "angled".

Length, support weight, and attachment method are the factors. A good cap dealer, like Daco or Valley Line-X, should be able to tell you what you want at a glance. $20 - $40 for the set. "Truck Accessories Store" is the search term.

My cap door got Strongarm 4419, 14.5" Extended Length, 35 Pound Force. It's a glass frameless door; if you have a light door, you want less lift.

That may be a Stabilus Lift-o-mat. Or maybe not. If you take another look at the attachment method and length extended [push the door all the way open, prop it up, and measure] we can dial in the choices.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm older than I look
posted Hide Post
Had to go to 2 auto parts store but found a pair for about $28 each. It was a little longer than the original, but it had the right end fitting. Looked like it was a stabiles and I got another stabiles, but again longer. It was 20 lbs. per the clerk.

Thanks for the tips y'all. I'm used to googling the part number and looking for the cheapest price online and then having it shipped to me. Could have done that here too but tried it out in the parking lot and it worked and didn't wanna bother with undoing it all and returning, which the guy said I could if I wanted.

Posts: 1939 | Location: San Fernando Valley, CA | Registered: September 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
maybe my search-fu was wrong, but couldn't find them on Grainger or Autozone or the like

If that's specific to "Gem Top" canopy made in Salem Oregon, they retired a few years back and shop is closed. I wanted a new canopy as theirs fit several of my 90s era trucks very well.

In any case, I'd expect some standard available strut should be on the shelf somewhere.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
...If that's specific to "Gem Top" canopy made in Salem Oregon, they retired a few years back and shop is closed...

That's too bad. Gem Top made a great canopy.
Searching for their product recently, it was pretty obvious they were no longer in business, but I couldn't find out why.
So the owner just retired?

Posts: 1782 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
FYI piston rod goes down

Posts: 1226 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
So the owner just retired?

I was seeking replacement top for a new truck several years (maybe "5" or more)back. Had to track down the number & got a direct voice contact with a relative who advised the owner/operator was simply too aged to do the work, and no viable replacement operator was pending.

I loved every Gem Top I had over the years. Great quality, decent price. Sorry to see them go.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post