SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sore Throat remedies??????
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sore Throat remedies?????? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

My buddy recently shared his remedy and it works like a champ. Grapefruit juice and vodka.
I wish that I could do this, I used to really like that drink.

Both my doctor and the pharmacist have told me that grapefruit in any form is a huge no-no for me.

Apparently, statins (for cholesterol) and grapefruit do not play well together.

Curiously, the med guys tell me that grapefruit is the only citrus that is forbidden, so the trusty old screwdriver would be just fine to drink.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30694 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My remedy is pretty basic:

For painful sore throat, gargle with warm water and salt. The relief is temporary but, its immediate relief.

For throughout the day hot water with lemon juice and honey. Either a thin slice of lemon or, squeeze the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of honey. The lemon besides adding vit-C, helps break-up mucous, some pain relief and kills-off certain bacteria. The honey is a long time anti-inflammatory used medically for centuries, also helps make the drink go down.

Adding alcohol sounds like a nice idea but, it just reduces your body's ability to fight-off whatever you have.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Teaspoon of unfiltered raw honey with turmeric and pinch of black pepper. Take that every 4 hours. Along with 3000mg Vitamin C every 4 hours. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Warm water, lemon and honey works very well for me for any sore throat short of strep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5911 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I worked for a group of cardiologists. One grizzled old veteran doc told me to either smash up a real aspirin (not a Tylenol or Advil but a real aspirin) or a pack of powdered aspirin (like a Goodys), put in a cup and add very warm water, stir well. Gargle until the cup is empty. It’s ok to swallow some of the aspirin water if you wish.

The aspirin provides a topical relief to the irritated throat. It really works.

You can use this in conjunction with the salt as mentioned above if you wish.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Sucrets extra strength or cloroseptic (sp) extra strength. Both will numb your throat for about 45 minutes. I prefer the taste of the Sucrets.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20830 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:

My buddy recently shared his remedy and it works like a champ. Grapefruit juice and vodka.
I wish that I could do this, I used to really like that drink.

Both my doctor and the pharmacist have told me that grapefruit in any form is a huge no-no for me.

Apparently, statins (for cholesterol) and grapefruit do not play well together.

Curiously, the med guys tell me that grapefruit is the only citrus that is forbidden, so the trusty old screwdriver would be just fine to drink.
Understand the grapefruit interracting with certain meds. I was on statins for nearly 20 years so I'm enjoying being able to have grapefruit juice.

My buddy has done extensive "research" on remedies, and insists that grapefruit is better than orange, lemon, or pineapple juice. He also insists that vodka is better than whiskey. Something about the combination really cuts through thick mucous and the sore throat and throat cough went away with 2 doses in January.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23279 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I didn’t see my remedy yet.

I second the salty water relief.

But my remedy is a whole lemon. Rolled up to juice it inside. 10 seconds at most in the microwave. Cut the tip off and squeeze it down your throat.

Then some honey as it has anti microbial properties.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19676 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Hot, sweet lemonade and a neti pot.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slippery Elm tea for sore throat or gastrointestinal issues. It really works. You can get Slippery Elm bark at a health food store or online. Make a cup of hot tea and add a little honey.

-------------------
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered his last round.

Posts: 1107 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
So far the best help has been Chick-Fil-A Chicken Soup.
I tried gargling salt water, lemon stuff, have not gotten to try that Chinese stuff.
This I rough. I slept about an hour maybe last night.

Nothing really seems to get far back enough aside from eating the chicken soup. I got some cloreseptic spray and it lasts about 5 minutes.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
Fisherman's Friend cough drops for relief. Agree with the other posts about getting to the doc.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
You know how there was a time where “rub a little ‘tussin on it solves everything? Well my version is ...... Bourbon....hear me out.

If you drink a little bourbon it should numb your throat. If not drink a little more. Rinse repeat until throat is numb. This is GUARANTEED to help because it will either numb your throat or ....... you will no longer give a shit.

Take care, shoot safe, feel better.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7684 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you need lozenges to get you through the day, you want to find which has the highest dosage of Benzocaine, this is the numbing chemical for your throat. Everything else pretty much is candy.

I believe either Cepacol or, Chloraseptic have the top amounts ask a pharmacist if there's anything stronger.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

I believe either Cepacol or, Chloraseptic have the top amounts ask a pharmacist if there's anything stronger.

I vote Cepacol. I had a really painful sore throat a few years ago and Cepacol numbed it really good and for a good while.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by birddog1:
I always gargle with Listerine when I have a sore throat. In fact, I gargle with it every night before bed to ward off any sickness. But it has to be the original brown listerine, powerful stuff

I have also had good results with Listerine. Very foul tasting, but seems to get the job done.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Time for a trip to the doc of your choice or the "doc dujour".... I'm guessing that you've got better things to be doing than to suffer with this. It's not getting any better. Best wishes, mike

quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
So far the best help has been Chick-Fil-A Chicken Soup.
I tried gargling salt water, lemon stuff, have not gotten to try that Chinese stuff.
This I rough. I slept about an hour maybe last night.

Nothing really seems to get far back enough aside from eating the chicken soup. I got some cloreseptic spray and it lasts about 5 minutes.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I do a Kosher salt in warm water gargle and it works.

You may feel like gagging but that salt kills that sore throat quick.

Posts: 33827 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
sounds like strep. if so, antibiotics

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I second (or third or whatever) the doc visit recommendation(s). If you don't know what's causing it and it's not abating you need to find out what's up, IMO.

As I said, earlier: I get the occasional sore throat, but it's nearly always due to my sinuses acting up and draining into my throat. A Rikola nearly always provides immediate and lasting relief, followed-up by addressing the source. Sounds to me like you may have something more serious going on.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post