SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bread flour - no knead bread in dutch oven
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bread flour - no knead bread in dutch oven Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m still trying to get one of those out the door. Smile

I’ve messed up twice now. This second one is still gooey in the center despite 1 hour in the oven. The bottom is getting burnt. So now I know that 2x the water is bad. Smile Third times a charm?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Although I'm not really forming a loaf. The recipe calls for just making a big blob of dough. Then folding over a few times and dumping the blob into a large parchment paper lined bowl where it waits while the oven is coming to temp.

I'd call that forming the loaf. That's about what the book describes doing. It's all wet-dough no-knead stuff.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
detailed, illustrated instructions and recipe.
http://www.girlversusdough.com...ad-dutch-oven-bread/

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
#3 closer but no cigar. Edible but still dense and underdone. I checked temp and it measured 200F or so. I even let it bake an extra 10 minutes.

One more try tomorrow. Then maybe I’ll try a different flour and yeast.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
detailed, illustrated instructions and recipe.
http://www.girlversusdough.com...ad-dutch-oven-bread/

The recipe I’m using (Jenny can cook) calls for 1/4 tsp of yeast and “very” hot water (I’ve been using 195F).

Maybe I’ll up the yeast tomorrow.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Too hot of water will kill your yeast. 195F is WAY too hot.

Posts: 20611 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. So much for recipes that call for “very” hot water. 110F is warm to me. I’ll try something in that ballpark.

Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
yeah, you're killing your yeast.
When I do the overnight bit on mine, I just use room temp water. Works fine with the long proof.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. So much for recipes that call for “very” hot water. 110F is warm to me. I’ll try something in that ballpark.

As I mentioned before, I like to check my dough temp. after it's mixed.
The goal in these recipes is to have the dough rest at a certain temp. w/ regards to the duration it will be resting.
Because your recipe (Jenny Can Cook) is only a 3hr rest or so, it calls for warmer water, around 130*. This is fine for yeast as the final mixed temp. in the dough will be much lower than 130*.

If you try a cooler temp., 3 hrs. is not going to give you the same flavor development as a longer, cooler rest.
Although too warm and you will have strong alcohol flavors in the final loaf.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Wow, "simple" bread isn't really that simple Smile

I've got some dough rising now - used about 100F water. I'll let it sit for most of the day.

Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. Wow, "simple" bread isn't really that simple Smile

I've got some dough rising now - used about 100F water. I'll let it sit for most of the day.

Smile
Well, you're still making bread. But by noting your process, each one will be better than the last.

One thing you can do is put it in the oven w/ the oven light on. My oven w/ light on is in the 80's so if you need to warm it up, that's one way to do it.

Posts: 7490 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sometimes "proof" my dough by using my microwave. I'll first heat up a Pyrex measuring cup of water to almost boiling in the microwave and then place my dough ball in its mixing dish, or in loaf pans if that's the route I'm going. The trapped heat and moisture works pretty well. It is some more trial and error, but maybe worth it.

PS: Most of the recipes I've used recommend water no more than 95°F.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1549 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BGULL:

The original recipe he's(was?) following is a "fast" method of only 3 hrs and 35min. total rest/rise time. That's why he needs the warmer water.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Agreed on the water temp - I don't think I've ever seen a recipe that calls for water over 130.

If you use cooler water, it will still work fine, the rising will just take longer because the lower temperature the yeast reproduces more slowly.

As far as proofing... Here's a clever way to achieve a warm, humid proofing box. Put the dough in a turned off oven on the top rack, and pour 3 cups of boiling water in a baking pan and put it on the bottom rack.

I've usually just turned the oven to 200 for a few minutes and then off, but this seems like a great idea. It will help keep the surface of the dough from drying out. I haven't tried it yet, I just came across it.

https://www.cooksillustrated.c...ven-into-a-proof-box

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very clever - using the oven as a higher ambient temp environment during proofing. I'll experiment that.

I'm hoping I'll finally yield something edible today. Smile

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Could I offer a suggestion?

Maybe you should get one recipe and follow that, without deviation.

Like Poor Richard, or someone of similar dignitude once said, “A man with two watches is never sure what time it is.” Of course Poor Richard had no wife with friends, or maybe it was Little Richard.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

This is good advice, but it's easier said than done - to follow a bread recipe exactly and without deviation requires a good, very detailed recipe, and almost none of them are.

There are a whole lot of small details that go into baking good bread, and they're all important.

Most bread recipes assume some level of existing experience, and give VERY sparse instructions. There's a ton of necessary detail that they leave out, assuming you already know it.

I've got a bunch of bread and baking cookbooks. In the really good ones, a basic bread recipe plus the basic instructions for the process of making bread takes up at least 20-30 pages.

Making good bread is not really difficult, but it is a whole lot fussier about the details than most other types of cooking.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:

The original recipe he's(was?) following is a "fast" method of only 3 hrs and 35min. total rest/rise time. That's why he needs the warmer water.

The "fast" recipes I have seen or used usually specify doubling up on the yeast to achieve a quicker rise and bake cycle. I do not have a link but the faster recipe I usually use is 2X on the yeast and goes straight to loaf forming and rise, way quicker than the 3 hours and 35 minutes referenced.

Warmer water maybe, but "hotter" water kills the yeast, I can also speak from experience there.....

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1549 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
quote:

The "fast" recipes I have seen or used usually specify doubling up on the yeast to achieve a quicker rise and bake cycle. I do not have a link but the faster recipe I usually use is 2X on the yeast and goes straight to loaf forming and rise, way quicker than the 3 hours and 35 minutes referenced.

Warmer water maybe, but "hotter" water kills the yeast, I can also speak from experience there.....

It will take water hotter than 130* to kill bread yeast in this case as the yeast is not being rehydrated in 130* water. It's being mixed in w/ the other ingredients and they stabilize much much lower than that. Not unless the flour is also 130*.

The other recipe you speak of is possibly by the OP's same recipe author, reduced to two hours by using more yeast.

http://www.jennycancook.com/re...test-no-knead-bread/

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

This is good advice, but it's easier said than done - to follow a bread recipe exactly and without deviation requires a good, very detailed recipe, and almost none of them are.

There are a whole lot of small details that go into baking good bread, and they're all important.

Most bread recipes assume some level of existing experience, and give VERY sparse instructions. There's a ton of necessary detail that they leave out, assuming you already know it.

I've got a bunch of bread and baking cookbooks. In the really good ones, a basic bread recipe plus the basic instructions for the process of making bread takes up at least 20-30 pages.

Making good bread is not really difficult, but it is a whole lot fussier about the details than most other types of cooking.

I’m sure this is true, but if a recipe says 450, 400 might not do it. If 1 1/2 cups will work, 3 will be too much. Etc. If it calls for flour, don’t use sugar instead.

I’m following along about to pop waiting for this bread to work out. Smile

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post