SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CPAP battery back up options discussion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CPAP battery back up options discussion Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
While turning the humidifier heater off will help, best way to stretch whatever backup power source is to use a low draw CPAP to start with.

Lots of variables, but the power adapter for an AirSense 10 is rated at 90W. Of course it doesn’t use all that, but depending on pressure setting etc. the humidifier only accounts for about 2/3 of the power at max setting (based on ResMed info).

My travel CPAP is a ResMed AirMini Autoset. The standard power adapter for it is only 27W. It does not have a humidifier, but adds humidity to air via a cartridge inline with the hose that traps and releases moisture from you expelled breath.

If I have to go to battery power, I switch to the travel CPAP.

If you take 2/3 away from 90W, you get 30W, about the same as the 27W on the humidifierless one?

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
But each year we have outages that run multiple hours to a couple days. Having been on CPAP since 1997 I find I absolutely can not sleep without mine so longer outages without backup mean sleeplessness.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
After a hurricane we on the Gulf Coast are out for days. Other than that a few minutes or hours due to thunderstorms. When I lived in rural Wisconsin it was more frequent but that was the rural electric cooperative's fault. What is your situation??

Black Hills SW of Rapid City receiving power from a small electric utility co-op. Some outages are in heavily wooded rugged terrain making access tough for repair crews with resultant delays getting things up and running.

"Black Hills Electric Cooperative's headquarters is located high in the mountains of western South Dakota near the town of Custer. The cooperative provides electricity to more than 8,000 rural and suburban members and more than 10,000 meters in six counties in southwestern South Dakota."

Here was what killed power for me yesterday for several hours...lightning strike on a substation not all that far from me.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain. Weather conditions and a rural electric cooperative both.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Thank you for taking the time to explain. Weather conditions and a rural electric cooperative both.

Not a problem.
I actually heard the explosion when that substation was hit. Woke me up.
Yes this retiree likes to sleep in especially when I had been unable to get to sleep until around 4am. Big Grin

Updated: Google Earth pictures of the substation

Line from substation in upper right to my house lower left.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bet you heard that. I know exactly what it sounds like.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
rush chairman
Picture of Guy1
posted Hide Post
Great information! Than you bald1!

Posts: 713 | Location: MS | Registered: November 21, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post