SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Just a valet ? or just a butler?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Just a valet ? or just a butler? Login/Join 
posted
Can you seem to manage with one or the other ?
if so which one.

Is one much more flexible in the duty dept , that the other.

for those with both, does it ever get contentious ?
or is it more often than not copacetic?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54711 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My 9 year old makes a horrible, whiny, butler, however he's even a worse valet.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11451 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
You are supposed to start the boy off as a footman to get him some experience first. Razz

Posts: 2665 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a valet ? or just a butler?

Neither. Batman. (An actual term for a personal servant to a military officer.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_(military)

Posts: 28012 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Because I am "that guy" a butler is a household manager. More relevant in an era when households had lots of staff. (Even a fairly small house, pre WWII could have 17 staff.)

A valet was more or less a housekeeper for a bachelor.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is animal care needed?

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well... Jeeves was a valet ( actually, a Gentlemans gentleman, but why split hairs) and Jeeves was awesome, so I'd say valet first, and don't worry about. Butler until you have a stately home of wherever....

Bill R

Posts: 1128 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
You are supposed to start the boy off as a footman to get him some experience first. Razz

They always wanted tall guys as footmen to impress their guests since they were the first staff encountered.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3465 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I prefer Mr. French.

Posts: 17152 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think Mr. French addressed himself as a gentleman's gentleman.

no pet care involved

Posts: 54711 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Bendable, MIB is code 101. MIB is code 101.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have a harem those house staff.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post