SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is your particular set of skills?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your particular set of skills? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
i could perform surgery on you in a pinch

chest tubes, laparotomy, thoracotomy, tracheotomy, stitch you up, etc

(wouldn't dare mess with your brain or heart though) and we'd need a willing anesthesia person...

i am not credentialed but i have 'relevant' experience

------------------------------

Are you a Combat Medic? Did you go through "goat lab?"

We believe arming our fellow Americans – both physically and philosophically – helps them fulfill our Founding Fathers' intent with the Second Amendment: To serve as a check on state power.

Posts: 280 | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really don't have any skills, like mechanical ability.

Not long after we were married, we moved to a house on the water in St. Pete. My wife noticed I had every hand tool in the world and most of the power tools, but never used them.

So for Christmas that year she went to Pinellas-Lindsey (an old area hardware and lumber store that pre-dated Lowes and Home Depot) and had one of the guys there make a bunch of stuff partially complete so that I could finish the things with my tools.

I got tables, a chair, boxes and a couple of things I didn't recognize. I dutifully and sincerely thanked her and took them to my workshop. For many days she was so pleased hearing me work, banging, drilling, sawing and, well, you know, making noise.

Then, one day when she was at work, I took all this stuff I'd completely ruined out to the dump. I just have no ability to make any thing.

I finally confessed what had happened a month or so later when she wanted to see my "stuff."

I'm not a complete dufus (not complete at least). I'm a good public speaker (Prosecutor, trial lawyer and I had to be to make a career of it).

I was a good supervisor, knew how to lead and did the things I should.

I'm a good shooter, though I shake a bit now and my hands don't work quite right because of arthritis, but I've been a shooter since I was a child of 6ish. I was a pretty good trap shooter till I got sick with one of my cancers a few years ago.

I'm a good teacher-taught some college courses, taught at the Police Academy, taught officers in-service classes for some thirty years and I've taught an adult Sunday School Class for over 20 years.

But I just ain't got no mechanical skills-none.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Efficiency, streamlining etc.

I've worked in logistics most of my adult life and inefficiency drives me insane, it even rolls over into my personal life. I will find the most efficient way to do something regardless of the process.

Posts: 1182 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I've been playing the drums since I was 10... 28 years. I'd say I'm pretty good and have been in a number of bands through the years. I am also a pretty decent singer.

I am a fair carpenter though I mostly stick to rough stuff and not super-detailed. I don't have the correct tools for detail and may not have the patience, either.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
My wife once told me I would make a good missionary because I'm fairly good at fixing, finding or fabricating anything that you might need in remote places.

I have decent medical skills.

Most of all, I'm a Big Picture kinda guy. Not great on fine details but I can step back and see stuff lots of other people can't and propose possible solutions.

Posts: 11227 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Like so many here, I can fix things. Not just the problem, but what caused it. Been making my living out of a tool case since 1980.

Goes without saying, I cast and reload for numerous rifle and pistol calibers.

Reasonable Martial Artist in Kenpo, some say I was a very insightful teacher as well.

I've been married 39 years to my current wife, the lovely and talented Mrs. Snapping Twig. I suppose that counts for something. Raised our only child old school whereby spanking was not overlooked for transgressions. She came out good! Motivated, college, hard working, bought a house and getting married soon. She's 32.

So, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posts: 2833 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
retired helicopter pilot.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I'm good at finding cool pistols in unusual calibers because ammo is always available and nobody runs off with my brass. Big Grin

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
I once hurt someone's feelings........ Wink

Martial arts (advanced belts and training in Kenpo, Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Kuk Sul Won, Aikido, Small Circle Jujitsu, Kali/FMA, and Krav Maga) , firearms (including Armorer and Reloading), Dog handler (protection, tracking/detection, and obedience), scuba, rock climbing/rappelling, backpacking, canoeing, kayaking, hunting, survival training, emergency medic, and pretty damn good at reading people.

The the last 10-15 years, my vacations are usually spent attending 2-5 days training course in something I am interested in two to three times a year. A couple years ago, it was long range shooting, basics class, advanced class (I have shot and hit targets at a mile), and stalking movement class. 2019 was martial arts and blade work: attended (and got certified) a Krav Maga Law Enforcement Instructor Course and a couple different blade training Filipino Martial Arts classes. This year it was suppose to be Gracie Survival Tactics (GST) Law Enforcement Instructor course at the beginning of May and another advanced GST course in early October. Mad 2016 and 2017 were a mixture of firearms training and survival classes in different environments.

Posts: 3939 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ammodotcom:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
i could perform surgery on you in a pinch

chest tubes, laparotomy, thoracotomy, tracheotomy, stitch you up, etc

(wouldn't dare mess with your brain or heart though) and we'd need a willing anesthesia person...

i am not credentialed but i have 'relevant' experience

------------------------------

Are you a Combat Medic? Did you go through "goat lab?"

no I'm not. i have worked for medical device manufacturers for 20 years.

part of the training we receive and offer to our surgeon customers is lab-based.

i have participated in probably 10-12 human cadaver training workshops and easily 30+ pig labs over the years (we don't really do many pig labs anymore... the ones I did were late 90s early 2000s) ... have been involved in training sessions for both soft tissue and bone reconstruction

plus we offer technical assistance during surgery so i have attended in person several thousand surgical procedures

i have had the privilege of working in the OR with extremely talented surgeons -- and surgeons typically love to teach / talk about their craft

it's been a fun ride. I could do it - (surgery) - but it would have to be pretty dire circumstances like TEOTW...

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few thing:

- Measured hearing acuity that was the best ever tested by the tech at the med center at my first big company job after college. Yeah I can hear guitar string gauges, alkaline vs. carbon batteries in a fuzz face, tonewoods, pickup magnets, all kinds of stuff.
- Semi-photographic memory - I remember things sorta like a recording, and I think in streaming movie quotes. I know the years of songs and albums rote, if I see the date on the jacket I remember it.
- Pretty much an expert on all the permutations of international business travel - I know all the booking codes for airline fare classes, all the plane layouts, all the perks, how to access lounges everywhere, hotel rewards programs, upgrades, and can pretty much go anywhere on short notice and get myself wherever I need to be. Unless I have to drive myself there, which is the funny part.
- Can figure out just about anything mechanical, how it works, and how to fix it, or improve it. Not a technician or a tradesmen though, I work with them and in the past led them. I'm more of a detail person when it comes to stuff I work on myself.
- Ability to attract increasingly hot but crazy Asian girlfriends.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
It's been a long time since I built and tuned cast iron hemis. Learned from Dad and some good old boys who actually worked at MoPar in the 50s. Have not seen a hemi for years.
That and a lot of car stuff as Dad drag raced at an hobby level. Also restored 1940 Continentals and won a FoMoCo best of one year.
I guess I am an old school car guy. But I drive a Tacoma and a Subaru now.
I also refinish rifle stocks. Mostly Model 70s
I retired from local govt in 2016 where I did 46 years. Seemed like prison at times, but they did pay me

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am getting better at brushing my teeth.

Also, working on my "a's, and the letter "s."

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20 years repairing yachts, plus building one. Tons of mechanical, electrical, metalworking, and wood working skills. Took 9 years to build a 36' cruising steel sailboat. Also 4 years as a machinist-mechanic and 4 as an Alfa Romeo mechanic.

Now, getting good at alternative health, solving difficult problems. Last week a patient came all the way from Istanbul, Turkey to see me in California.

Now if I could just draw and fire in 0.7 seconds I would be happy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: c1steve,

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigspecops:
I'm a master at upsetting my wife, sometimes all I have to do is be in the same room with her.

What a coincidence!

We may well be twins separated at birth?

Wink

Got my scuba license at 14.

That was 45 years ago Frown

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm good at buying and selling.

I'm a good make do handyman. Fix it with what you've got.

Dogs take up with me.

I'm a pretty good fisherman and handle boats pretty well. I'm also a great trailer backer.

Not hard on machinery. Don't tear stuff up as a rule.

Posts: 4699 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I used to be in IT, so I have quite a few computer-related skills...don't use them for much anymore, though. The logic and organizational skills that one develops for programming can be applied to a wide variety of things in life, though.

Mainly, I fix things. I do my own car repair, fix stuff around the house, work on guns and other mechanical things. I like to be self-sufficient and not dependent on others to do things I can do myself. I'm passable at many things, but not really an expert at anything.

We must be related, minus numchucks.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I am a bomb technician. I have a BS degree in Chemical Engineering and an MS in Explosives Engineering. I minored in Nuclear Engineering and Economics and was 4 classes shy of a second BS in economics. I qualified as a Nuclear Engineer for the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program and worked professionally as a nuclear engineer. I’ve been a volunteer firefighter for 21 years and used to be an EMT, although I can still take care of business with keeping people alive even though I no longer carry a cert. I’ve been a cop for going on 17 years, the first 3 as a local in uniform and the rest as a fed. I’ve been a SCUBA diver for over 20 years and enjoy wreck diving. I’m pretty handy and like to tinker with things. I do some woodworking as a hobby and have some pretty cool stuff for that. I can operate just about any piece of heavy equipment that you can think of except maybe a crane, and I’m actually pretty good with an excavator. I just started learning the piano at age 40 and am finding it to be very enjoyable. I started my PhD in explosives engineering but will likely not finish it. Obviously I like guns and shooting. Lastly, I didn’t realize it until I had a child of my own but I’m also trying really hard to be a good Dad, and am enjoying it far more than I ever expected it. Come to think of it, I’m probably not a bad person to have around in a pinch lol.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
still trying to figure it out...late bloomer i guess.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand complex cash flow better than most having spent most of my career as a mortgage banker and now in wealth management. If I say you qualify for a loan, chances are you're getting approved.

TS

Posts: 859 | Location: California | Registered: March 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post