SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Help me understand Vegan.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me understand Vegan. Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted
I get it - Vegan diet, no meat nor dairy or eggs. Vegan female reproduces and places the same dietary restrictions on her offspring BUT breastfeeds. Huh?

Posts: 2305 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I fail to see any inconsistency between breast-feeding one's own infant with, presumably, one's own milk and veganism. Confused I have a problem with veganism (as an ideology of sorts, not individual vegans), but that's not it.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yes, the vegan will tell you that the person breastfeeding is doing that of their own free will. They are not being exploited like the bees that are forced to make honey under slave labor conditions.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Consent is the issue. Cows can't consent to being eaten, bees can't consent to having their honey harvested. However a person can consent, especially a mother feeding her child.

The real question, is cannibalism vegan? Chew on that.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17007 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Whose consent are we talking about here? The baby's? He/she doesn't have any say in the matter. Other than biting, maybe. Wink

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
How do you get consent from corn?

Posts: 2305 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Plants are alive, but not sentient. There are trees in excess of 6,000 years old, but they don't feel pain if one were to cut them down.

Posts: 28005 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We BELIEVE they aren't sentient. Will we ever know for sure? Is the wheat screaming in terror as the combine advances? Do carrots silently scream as they are violently plucked from the earth? Are potatoes in agony as we dismember them?

Ridiculous? So is veganism.

Posts: 17150 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
but they don't feel pain if one were to cut them down.

But they can alert the other trees and plants that they are under attack and the neighboring plants can prepare a defense.

If cannibalism is vegan, then is it okay for vegans to take Pepto Bismol? Figs?

The plot thickens...

Posts: 9169 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Veganism is nothing more than yet another leftist ideology, which is a euphemism for a mental disorder. These people ain't right in the head.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Watch the vegan's face when you explain how many animals get shredded when the plow the field to grow their avocados.

But apparently trees do talk to each other and even share resources. Interesting video... (I wonder if they tell each other when I'm out of wood for the bbq?)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Still not understanding breast feeding.
Dairy== milk produced from mammals.

coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't have a problem with individual vegans. This is a personal diet and lifestyle choice that is their business and no one else's. My beef is when it becomes an ideology (hence the "ism" on the end) and they try to make it everyone else's business, based on the false premise that humans aren't "meant" to eat meat. Of course we are. We are omnivorous predators. Our eyes face forward, unlike those of prey animals. And we are the biggest predators on the planet. No other species has caused the extinction of another. No, we don't have the speed or strength to run down and capture animals, nor teeth or claws that can rend flesh. We use our brains to fashion weapons to kill them, and harness fire so we can cook them.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
With a very broad definition of “sentient”, such as “able to feel or perceive things”, it can apply to plants. With a more narrow definition, such as “conscious, or self-aware”, it doesn’t apply to many animals. Certainly not most fish, shrimp, oysters, etc.

I’ve always thought that a fish reacting to a hook, or a plant growing toward the sun, are no different than human eyes reacting to changing light conditions- our irises expand or contract to change the size of the pupil and the amount of light received, but we don’t “feel” that happening. Things that happen by reflex are not the same as choices we make because we are aware of the consequences.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have a problem with individual vegans. This is a personal diet and lifestyle choice that is their business and no one else's. My beef is when they try to make it everyone else's business, based on the false premise that humans aren't "meant" to eat meat. Of course we are. We are omnivorous predators. Our eyes face forward, unlike those of prey animals. And we are the biggest predators on the planet. No other species has caused the extinction of another. No, we don't have the speed or strength to run down and capture animals, nor teeth or claws that can rend flesh. We use our brains to fashion weapons to kill them, and harness fire so we can cook them.

That’s way too many facts to have in a conversation about Veganism. Now stow away those facts and come back with feelings and emotions.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Still not understanding breast feeding.
Dairy== milk produced from mammals.

You aren't understanding the motivation of vegans. It's all about consent as mentioned. If a cow told them, "Hey, I have some milk for you." they'd be okay with it. They feel you are exploiting animals by taking their products without consent. It's not about the product being from an animal, it's about a product the animal didn't give away willingly.

These go to eleven.

Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
quote:

… No, we don't have the speed or strength to run down and capture animals …

Actually, we do.

https://www.espn.com/espn/news/story?id=6110087

Excerpt:

“AS THE RUNNER MOVES IN FOR THE KILL, his most effective weapon -- his feet -- splash into the deep white sands of Africa's Kalahalari Desert. The footprints that he leaves behind are like fossils dating back to the origins of human speed. For several hours, under a suffocating sun that has pushed temperatures toward 120 degrees, the runner, a member of the !Xo San tribe named Karoha, has been engaged in a persistence hunt. He's chased an animal, literally, to death.”

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
You aren't understanding the motivation of vegans.

Couldn't it just be about the diet?
Maybe politics was never considered.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nothing more than posturing. It sounds so cool! Vee-gin

Didn't the starship Enterprise visit "Vega"? The people who live on that planet are Vegans.

Vincent Vega, Vincent Vegan, Vinny Vegan - I came, I saw, I had the salad

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107728 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
You aren't understanding the motivation of vegans.

Couldn't it just be about the diet?
Maybe politics was never considered.

In my experience, vegetarians may believe it's just about diet. Many of them will drink milk, eat eggs, eat fish, etc. Some of them don't want to eat dead animals because of the killing, but they aren't so concerned with exploiting animals by milking them and such.

The vegans usually are more radical as I've described.

Regarding the human milk, even the vegetarians will say that human milk is healthy for babies, but cow milk is not.

These go to eleven.