SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hawk eating a dove in my backyard
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hawk eating a dove in my backyard Login/Join 
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted
So there was an hawk in the tree earlier this morning. I found this out when I waked under the tree and he flew off, and came back, flying away again. I assumed he had something in the tree.

An hour later a look outside and see his tail in the tree. I repositioned myself in a different room, belly crawled to get a good view. Changed positions and got a better view.

Wife called me and I had to move. He flew off when I wasn’t recording.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4031 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Damn nature, you scary.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17007 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I once saw a hawk catch a pigeon mid-flight, then land on top of a telephone pole just outside my apartment, and proceed to harvest. This was in San Francisco (I lived near a park).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16390 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Hawk eating a pidgeon? That is proof positive that the work needs more hawks.

The red tails around here are very territorial. Have not seen it happen in person, but have found young golden eagles that they ripped apart, presumably at some altitude given how far apart I’ve found a wing and the rest of the carcass. I’m happy that they are not of a size to prey on us, our dogs, or our goats. Eek

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I see that just about every day here. Doves, various rodents, the occasional lizard and I’ve even seen a rabbit or two being disassembled. I quite often find a little pile of feathers underneath tree branches in my yard. I’ve even found left overs on my roof.

Posts: 53236 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
Cool video! Rodent control at its finest.

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Same hawk and dove story here a couple of weeks ago. I was coming down the steps into the back yard and something streaked passed me, low and fast. I looked over at the spot it took off from, which was a circle of dove feathers. No head, feet, or body parts, just feathers.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2098 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The GHOs leave us piles of quail and dove feathers quite often (and rabbit fur, too).

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I turned the volume up.
Thought I might hear what it sounds like, when the doves cry.
Do, do-dee do, do, do-dee do, ...

Posts: 7378 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feeders, and bird baths,
It's all fun and games until the raptors show up.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54706 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We've had a couple of Cooper's Hawks in the area. They really help manage the dove population, I often find feathers in my yard. Here's one very near one of my feeders.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3407 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was mowing in my back yard and had a red tail on the ground. It was working at something and actually allowed me to get closer than I thought it would with the mower. It finally took off and had a snake in its' talons.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2895 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
one year i was dove hunting in Pearsall, TX and i had to hurry to get my birds. there was a coopers hawk that was trying to get them.

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
We've had a couple of Cooper's Hawks in the area. They really help manage the dove population, I often find feathers in my yard. Here's one very near one of my feeders.

Apparently we both setup killing zones for them with the Feeders.

Plenty of them here, with a golf course behind us and lots of nature areas in between, Owls as well.

We have a feeder in a Ligustrum tree, kept finding the feeder on the ground and figured the tree rats were knocking it down until I watched a Hawk dive into it trying to catch a couple of Cardinals feeding.

He was flat moving, hit the feeder, bounced off the tree, and straight into one of the large windows in the back, the one I was standing behind, hit like a brick, broke nothing but his pride as he sat on the sill stunned. Cardinals dived out quickly enough into the shrubs.

Moved the feeder further into the center of the tree where it will be difficult for them to get an angle on it without hitting one of the branches.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One morning looking out the kitchen window I see a Coopers come in and nail a bird, European Collared Dove (Non native if anyone cares). Then it started tearing it apart which was pretty gruesome. After maybe 20 seconds the dove tries to fly away unsuccessfully. It was being eaten alive! Thank heaven I live in a more civilized world.

In the same spirit as slosig many years ago I was showing a test site for tree growth to several contractors. As we came around the last bend in the road a huge bird took off maybe 100 feet away. It was a golden eagle (my first sighting) and I remember the wingspan was so wide the wing tips were still going down while the rest of the wing started its upswing and vice versa. After it made altitude a Red Wing hawk took exception and dove down at the eagle. At the last possible moment the eagle did a somersault and turned out of the hawk's dive path. It was repeated several times. Later the Wildlife Biologist told me the move was not entirely defensive. The eagle is reaching out with its talons trying to nail the hawk. That was Summer of 1979 and it is still a top ten wildlife moment for me, maybe top five.

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Dove is mighty tasty! I prefer mine sautéed in EVOO with fresh garlic.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3768 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw something interesting a few weeks back, a rough looking road runner was in my yard ( I have several low to the ground shrubs that a lot of smaller songbirds hide in between trips to my feeder)
Road runner stealthily slinked towards those bushes then bam has a song bird for breakfast

Posts: 3299 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Brooks:
One morning looking out the kitchen window I see a Coopers come in and nail a bird, European Collared Dove (Non native if anyone cares).

Good on the Coopers hawk. The collared dove is an invasive species. At least here in AZ, they are bullies, pushing out our native Mourning and White Wing doves. While there is a very tight hunting season on the two native species, for the Eurasian Collared dove, it is open season year round with no bag limit.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10793 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
on a related note, cultivating potted herbs should be much easier this season with all the cats running around culling out the bunny wabbits, which are known to feast on fresh parsley

Posts: 2790 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
On a dove hunt I saw a hawk trying to bag a quail.
The jinking that quail did between bushes with the hawk mirroring his moves made ANY man made dogfight look absolutely boring in comparison! It was one of the most impressive natural things I’ve ever seen.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post