SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need new seatbelts for 2013 Civic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new seatbelts for 2013 Civic Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
My dad got into a fender bender yesterday. The seatbelts did its job holding mom and dad in place, but now they no longer retract.

Do I need to replace the whole assembly? Is the dealer parts department the only source for such a part?

Posts: 2707 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ebay,Junkyard. Why wouldn't insurance cover this? Liability only?

Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.htm...+2013+civic&_sacat=0

Posts: 5560 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I've used Majestic Honda several times over the years and they've been good:

Majestic Honda

Just my opinion but I would not trust my life to a junkyard or eBay when it comes to this. Buy brand new and from a legit source.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can send them in to be rebuilt and they can reset the modual too much cheaper than replacing if webbing is good.
There is several places to choose from 1 example.
https://www.safetyrestore.com/...eat-belt-repair.html

Find one colse to you and cut shipping tunaround time.
These make yours good as new and used by many shops

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 332 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
You may have had your pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners fire. That would need replacing.

https://www.seat.com/car-terms...chnic-belt-tensioner

If your airbags did not fire, then maybe not.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I thought providing a working seatbelt, was a lifetime commitment by the manufacturer.

If not, then, it definitely should be covered by insurance for the auto accident

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
I thought providing a working seatbelt, was a lifetime commitment by the manufacturer.

I think their responsibility ends when the vehicle rolls off the line. I've never heard of any requirement after that or a warranty expiration.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17620 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:

If not, then, it definitely should be covered by insurance for the auto accident

Honda does have a lifetime warranty (if parts are available), but not if it has been in an accident.

Posts: 1373 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
You may have had your pyrotechnic seat belt tensioners fire. That would need replacing.

If your airbags did not fire, then maybe not.
Both airbags deployed. The passenger bag cover also cracked the windshield when it went off. Frown

Posts: 2707 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Majestic Honda

Just my opinion but I would not trust my life to a junkyard or eBay when it comes to this. Buy brand new and from a legit source.
Yeah, OEM is what I prefer. The are so many parts listed, my eyes glazed over. I have no idea how many parts I need to order. Eek

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Majestic Honda

Yeah, OEM is what I prefer. The are so many parts listed, my eyes glazed over. I have no idea how many parts I need to order. Eek

Color me a bit confused.
Why do you need to order anything? Are you doing all the work for them yet don’t know where to order seatbelts?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25701 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You might want to check out local auto parts stores or even online retailers for alternatives. Tried eBay?

in the 'Merica Navy they teach you to go pew pew pew...
Luckily in the PNW they taught me to go BANG BANG BANG

Posts: 100 | Registered: November 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rawny:
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Both airbags deployed. The passenger bag cover also cracked the windshield when it went off. Frown

The air bags went off. Your 2013 Civic is most likely a total. This is all just economics, a financial situation.

It's your decision, of course, but with all that damage and expense and having the car being a total, you could rebuild it if you want to, but it would have a salvage title, most likely. Lots of time and fustration and unexpected costs.

Personally, I'd take the insurance payout and go buy another gently used Honda, 3 or 4 or 5 years old, and go be happy with that and not frustrated with repairing a totaled out car.

Air bags are expensive. Very expensive, and the associated dash and steering wheel panel that broke out during the air bag deployment.

Best wishes to you.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Personally, I'd take the insurance payout and go buy another gently used Honda, 3 or 4 or 5 years old, and go be happy with that and not frustrated with repairing a totaled out car.

Yep. Remember we are dealing with SAFETY. The insurance company totaled my Honda when seat belts deployed. I still remember how bad the gas smelled. The prices are still kind of high on used Hondas but that is the way it is. I have purchased seven Hondas and have been happy with all of them.

Posts: 17528 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got a taste of that smell when I climbed in to check the car. ick...

The car is only insured for liability, so no pay out for my dad since it was clearly his fault.

There is surprisingly little damage to the car. We took it to my trusted mechanic and everything checked out fine. He cleaned up the tire smudge on the bumper and popped the trim pieces back in. Other than a little paint scratch, the car is fine mechanically.

The Tesla Model 3 he broadsided is definitely totaled. Eek

We'll have to wait and see what the insurance company decides. The cost to replace the seatbelts and airbags should still be lower than buying another car at this current market...in Commiefornia no less. Roll Eyes

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You and your mechanic may *think* there’s very little damage but neither of you are experts when it comes to frame damage and hidden damage.

You need to have a car body shop look at that IMO

I had a Mazda3 years back that I got tapped but my airbags went off, the body shop kept finding more damage the more they investigated. The frame is designed to take the force of an impact and bend.

Something hard enough to make your airbags go off most likely also damaged your frame.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The hood fender gaps look off so there may be some sway there, but looks like an easy repair.
A 2013 Civic should have enough value that repair would be cheaper than a used one.
That was more than a bump from the looks of the Tesla
Get an estimate from a body shop, then you will know the extent of the damage.

John Adams

Posts: 332 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoosehornMan:

That was more than a bump from the looks of the Tesla

OP said his seatbelts no longer retract, airbags went off and windshield is cracked.

This was more than a “fender bender” and he needs an expert to examine all this

posted Hide Post
Modern cars use High Strength Steel in certain areas as part of the crumple zone and need to be replaced not straightened by manufacturer recomendation, so yes, he needs a professional estimate.

John Adams