SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Man gunned down after confronting Baltimore squeegee workers, cops say
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Man gunned down after confronting Baltimore squeegee workers, cops say Login/Join 
posted
A motorist who confronted squeegee workers with a baseball bat in downtown Baltimore was gunned down in a heated confrontation, police said.

Timothy Reynolds, 48, was pronounced dead at a hospital Thursday following a late afternoon encounter with a group of youngsters cleaning car windshields for cash at Light and Conway streets near the city’s Inner Harbor, Baltimore police said.

No arrests have been made as of early Friday in the open and active investigation, a police spokeswoman told The Post.

Police Commissioner Michael Harrison told reporters Reynolds drove through the intersection and parked before hopping out of his car with a baseball bat, the Baltimore Sun reported.

Reynolds then “swung the bat” at one or more of the workers, Harrison said.

“In return, one of the squeegee workers pulled out a gun,” the chief continued.

Investigators gather evidence Thursday at the scene of a shooting in downtown Baltimore where driver Timothy Reynolds, 48, was fatally shot during a confrontation with squeegee workers.
Investigators gather evidence Thursday at the scene of a shooting in downtown Baltimore where Timothy Reynolds was fatally shot.
AP
police crime scene tape
No arrests have been made in the fatal shooting and is an active investigation, a police spokeswoman told The Post.
AP
It’s unclear how many shots were fired, but witnesses said they heard three rounds. Just hours earlier, Harrison said police confiscated a pellet gun from a squeegee worker at the same intersection, the Baltimore Sun reported.

“This is a very complex situation where someone took matters into his own hands, whatever you believe about that,” Harrison told reporters.

Start your day with all you need to know
Morning Report delivers the latest news, videos, photos and more.

Enter your email address
By clicking above you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

Baltimore Mayor Brandon Scott said the deadly confrontation is yet “another sad reminder” that petty beefs often escalate into violence.

“I want to be very clear – if you are on the streets of Baltimore and endanger the safety of other or turn to violence to solve your problems, we will hold you accountable,” Scott said in a statement.

Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby echoed Scott’s sentiment, blasting the shooting as a “heinous act of violence” that should serve as a flashpoint fo the city.

“There are too many guns on our streets and those who willingly turn to violence as a means of resolving conflicts will be held accountable to the fullest extent of the law,” Mosby said.

Baltimore’s police chief said it’s unclear whether Reynolds struck any of the squeegee workers with the bat he wielded. The group of kids ran off after the shooting and “made good of their escape,” Harrison said.

Anyone with video of the shooting is being urged to contact Baltimore police at (410) 396-2100.

Some Inner Harbor residents, meanwhile, said she and many of her neighbors have grown tired of squeegee workers – primarily teen boys who start cleaning windows often without being asked, WBFF reported.

LINK: https://nypost.com/2022/07/08/...e-confrontation/?dic

To call them workers is crazy. It's a shakedown. I do my best to avoid those intersections. I wish the cops would chase them off. Clearly the baseball bat solution is not an option.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I know the type. Workers, my ass. They basically blackmail you into paying them, sometimes slopping mud on your windshield first. If you take any action against them, even bare-handed, you are the one in trouble for assaulting them. In this case, they'll get to claim self-defense.

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The "squeegee workers" in Chicago, when I lived there maybe fifty years ago, had "iffen rags."

Iffen you tipped them, they would wipe your windshield with the clean side of the rag.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30673 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Lawlessness in Baltimore. Huh. Perhaps some arrests followed by actual prosecution this time.

If only the handful of good people remaining in Baltimore would leave, we could just take off and nuke the site from orbit.

Posts: 7257 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baltimore State’s Attorney Marilyn Mosby echoed Scott’s sentiment, blasting the shooting as a “heinous act of violence” that should serve as a flashpoint fo the city

Dumbass wants another "flashpoint"?
I don't think Baltimore could handle another "flashpoint".

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8349 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been reading comments on different articles about the "squeegee workers".

Tons of complaints about forcefully washing your window and when you dont tip or dont tip enough your vehicle gets damage.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dumbass wants another "flashpoint"?
I don't think Baltimore could handle another "flashpoint"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good one!

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I’m probably going to get flamed here, but you don’t legally get to swing a baseball bat at people for harassing you. I understand the sentiment, but most states don’t allow deadly force to protect property.

I’m sorry that people have to live like that, simply tolerating petty theft and harassment. I couldn’t; I’d move. I wish the authorities would clean it up. But legally you can’t escalate it, and in this case, with tragic results.

Posts: 3436 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m probably going to get flamed here, but you don’t legally get to swing a baseball bat at people for harassing you. I understand the sentiment, but most states don’t allow deadly force to protect property.

No flame for stating a fact, but therein lies the problem, doesn't it?

Posts: 27963 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

I’m sorry that people have to live like that, simply tolerating petty theft and harassment. I couldn’t; I’d move. I wish the authorities would clean it up. But legally you can’t escalate it, and in this case, with tragic results.

You’re not wrong, and no flames. I’m not sure that there is any legal path available other than avoidance in many, if not most, jurisdictions. Moving definitely seems like the best legal response.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Investigators gather evidence Thursday at the scene of a shooting in downtown Baltimore where driver Timothy Reynolds, 48, was fatally shot during a confrontation with squeegee workers.
Investigators gather evidence Thursday at the scene of a shooting in downtown Baltimore where Timothy Reynolds was fatally shot.
AP
police crime scene tape

Start your day with all you need to know
Morning Report delivers the latest news, videos, photos and more.

Enter your email address
By clicking above you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.
?????

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I remember them from the back seat of my grandmother's car in NYC in the late 60s/early 70s. They are not workers of any kind. They were, and are, hustlers, thugs, and criminals. Back then they would key your car if you didn't pay them, seems that installing a 6 ft scratch on your paint just isn't enough retribution any longer failing to let yourself be extorted. I've driven through that area more than once, not for the faint of heart, esp for chicken shits like me. I like the above solution of moving out and nuking from orbit, like in one of the Alien movies with Sigourney Weaver. I like that scene.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
quote:

No flame from me, the man attacked with a deadly weapon, being shot shouldn't grant him a victim card, he got out of his car, took a deadly weapon, attacked people and got shot, case should be open and shut.

(yes you can kill with a bludgeon, happens every year)

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Decades ago in L.A., near the location where Reginald Denny got his head smashed, one of the "squeegee workers" came to the car I was driving (my dad's) at a stop light and started to spray my windshield. I kept inching forward to stall his harassment, then drove off when it turned green. He tossed something at the rear of the car and left a skid mark on the trunk. Couldn't tell what he threw.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16701 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
We approaching to a very dangerous precipice when the 'Squeegee Workers' are armed...

It used to be that the 'Squeegee Workers' were just homeless drug addicts/alcoholics and they were working to fund their habit...Kinda like being 'self employed'! But now homelessness is so prevalent in certain urban areas, even facilitated in the many Leftist Democrat run shitholes, that they've figured out that they no longer need to work. Now if they are feeling enterprising and want funding for their habit, they just stand on the corner with a sign! Heck, they even have shift changes...Maybe they should unionize! Roll Eyes

So it would seem that armed thugs have now taken over the racket of the 'Squeegee Worker'...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Left car which was means of escape.

Took bat to gun fight.

Predictable result.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Is there any proof the guy REALLY swung a bat at somebody?
Could have been a murder staged to look like a self defense shooting.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4134 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:

No flames from me either.

I was gonna say, "don’t bring a baseball bat to a gun fight.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The article says he went through the intersection where they were, parked nearby and got out with a bat and came after them.
Making the assumption the article is mostly accurate (a risky proposition at best), it sounds like a simple case of self defense.
If the guy that shot him is not in legal possession or has other issues, I'd call this a twofer.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sures sounds like the dead guy made a bad decision or two. But...

Is Baltimore going to address the problem or continue to pretend it doesn't exist??

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post