SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Picked Up A Feathered Guest On The Way Home
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked Up A Feathered Guest On The Way Home Login/Join 
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted
Saw a Cedar Waxwing in the lane divider coming home and backed up to get him. Must have had a run in with a car.

I scooped him up while stopping traffic and this nice old lady who had looked a little confused at first saw the little bird thanked me over and over as she would have not seen him and ran him over.

Tabitha held him for the ride home so I can evaluate the extent of his injuries then he will be spoiled with never ending blueberries and meal worms while he recovers.

I had an unreleasable one 25 years ago and he quickly became a family member. He lived out his days with us and I will never forget him.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
You are very good soul Marzy Wink

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Good soul indeed!

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Way to go. What a beautiful bird.

Posts: 1218 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Granddaughter brought home the same type of bird
two days ago. Found it in the street. A little TLC
and hopefully it will fly away

Posts: 152 | Location: west Florida | Registered: July 08, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Today, you have made a difference in this Bird's life.

You are a good man Sir!!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36842 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 104RFAST:

Get it blueberries and other small berry fruit.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34118 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by 104RFAST:

Get it blueberries and other small berry fruit.

Cedar Waxwings would flock to our "red berry" (Pyracantha) bush growing up in Mississippi. My mother was ecstatic when they showed up and introduced me to the little fellers at a very young age. I didn't understand what was so good about the red berries; they didn't taste very good to me...

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
Magnificent creature, well done M.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7632 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a crabapple tree just off the back deck. It's pretty humorous to watch a bunch of cedar waxwings go after the apples after they have been fermenting in the sun for a couple of months. We may have to start an AA chapter for them Smile

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
well done Marz.

I love watching the Cedar Waxwings.

The first time I saw one when I was a teenager in the Willamette Valley of Oregon I thought it was a Cardinal and was ecstatic as we don't have Cardinals in Oregon.

I was still thrilled to find out they were waxwings. They would come eat raspberries in our backyard.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Glad your encounter had a happy ending. I had a tragic run-in with a falcon last week. Just cruising along the freeway and I see the little guy fly right in front of my jeep. I screamed NOOOOOOOOO!!!!! and his wing was sticking out from my hood.

I pulled over and he was still breathing but he was stuck in the grill really bad. By the time I got him out, his soul departed. That bothered me all day. It was such a beautiful raptor and he had a caterpillar in his talons when I found him.

If I were driving a sedan, he might have lived, but hitting that flat-faced jeep was too much.

Good on you for taking care of him.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5401 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your kindness. The world needs more of it towards animals.

Years ago, a family of waxwings showed up eating serviceberries from our trees. Rare seeing them in this part of Virginia.

Hope your little fellow makes it okay.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
Thank you for your kindness. The world needs more of it towards animals.

Years ago, a family of waxwings showed up eating serviceberries from our trees. Rare seeing them in this part of Virginia.

Hope your little fellow makes it okay.

Amen!

Posts: 796 | Location: NW North Carolina | Registered: November 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well done you two. Smile Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
That is a handsome bird. Nice effort.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
You think it's smart enough that in a month or two it just thinks to itself, "I've been fine for weeks, but this guy feeds me berries and worms all day in a climate-controlled house free of predators, so I limp a bit now and then"

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6319 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Beautiful little fella. Hope he heals up quickly.

Posts: 17134 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

Nice save Marzy, thank you!

I usually get a flock of them for a few days, picking the worms/larvae out of the apple blossoms in my back yard.

Didn't get any (or any apples to speak of) last year, hope they're back this year.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15233 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Excellent way to start my Easter day!

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1853 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post