SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Guitar Day, Pretty Special
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Guitar Day, Pretty Special Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:
Please provide more info about the neck pickup - is it hum-cancelling but with a single coil sound?

This may help. GT-V Foil

I believe it’s a single coil. I talked to Curtis Novak because I was patterning my guitar on those of JD McPherson, a (I’ll call him) a roots rock singer/songwriter whose music I like. Curtis had wound some pickups for him and I asked him what he would recommend for JD’s style of playing. The “Fat Tele” and “GT-V Foil” were his recommendations. I like it. Some Tele players complain that the original neck pickup has little utility and lots of guys pretty much just play the bridge pickup. That gold ‘59 Esquire CS Reissue really covers that spanky Tele bridge sound incredibly well. I wanted this guitar to be more versatile, and it is. Don’t think, however, that the bridge pickup doesn’t handle traditional Country picking—it does and well.

Here’s JD and one of the tones I was going for. This guitar is a custom build from T.K. Smith, modeled after a Gretsch guitar that Bo Diddley played. I’ve seen JD play a Tele and achieve very similar tones.

I’ll add that if you have a FB account, you can see and hear Anthony Sims, the builder, play it by just going to Lucky Dog’s page.

Posts: 13294 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Very nice guitar!!

As to the SG, I just purchased an SG Standard a couple of weeks ago. It has quickly become my favorite guitar. I considered the 61 reissue but thought the bite of the 490s in the Standard suited me a little more. A little more bite but not too much. Just a personal consideration.

Posts: 6630 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post