SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So long, Windham Weaponry
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So long, Windham Weaponry Login/Join 
posted
That's depressing news:

https://www.windhamweaponry.com/

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear. I have a Windham rifle from not too long after they opened up. Fine piece of equipment.
Between it and my old Stag Model 1, maybe I have some collectible items. As collectible as an AR-15 platform rifle can be….

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Won't miss them. Like the old Bushmasters. Bought one after current owners took over. Mine was pure junk. They obviously could not even bother to test fire it.They would have knowen it had issues from 1 shot.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Mine has been great. Nicer than anything I was ever issued while I was in.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8221 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Our swat unit went to windham awhile back and had so many issues. They’re using BCMs now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Overall, I've probably heard more positive than negative about Windham.

Posts: 204 | Registered: July 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only WW I have had was machined out-of-square in the the charging handle channel; I wasn't impressed. IMO, they haven't had a compelling model in years. Unfortunately, their neat modular multi-caliber system never seemed to gain traction; that thing was kinda cool. I hate to see any company go down, but I don't think their absence will be noticed.

Posts: 2190 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Bummer! I have a Windham-era Bushmaster lower from 1999. It's a great lower.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not surprising at all.

Everyone and their dog started making and offering ARs during the post-AWB Obama/Hillary era, riding the wave of the mass gun buying hysteria.

But afterwards, the bottom dropped out of the AR market. Sales went soft (with a brief rebound during the initial part of the pandemic), and it's been a race to the bottom for the non-top-tier AR manufacturers.

PSA has become the big fish in the entry level/budget priced market, and nobody else can really compete in that niche. And it's even tougher for those companies to compete with the quality of the higher-end AR makers.

So inevitably, a bunch of smaller low-to-mid level AR manufacturers - who can't beat PSA's budget pricing but yet don't have the quality/innovation to compete with BCM/CMMG/DD/et al - have had to shut their doors, and there will be more to come.

Posts: 32547 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Sad to see US firearms manufacturers closing shop.

My fist agency AR carbines were Bushmasters, and for firearms used only during training, they were trouble free.

My second agency had Windhams, and I just turned mine in mid July when I retired. Other than it being trouble free during training, I had to kill several deer with it. My only problem with it was it was too heavy due to the rail system our agency used.

I had full confidence in our Bushmaster and Windham rifles during duty.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought the WW story on its founding was pretty cool, but the output quality was suspect once the guns started showing up. We sold them for a time but the feedback from customers was middling at best and the offered features were also a step or three behind the rest of the very competitive and crowded field, so in the end we dropped them and concentrated on S&W, SIG, Diamondback, Ruger, Saint, even Colt and other budget-minded alternatives right up to our vile state's ban on the sale of ARs. The rapid rise of PSA on the complete build side and Aero Precision for the self-builder very likely hurt their chances of survival just as much as their lack of innovation and quality control. I agree that it's often a sad day whenever a gun maker calls it a life, but unfortunately for Windham and its legacy I don't think many will miss them.

-MG

Posts: 2007 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post