SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sous Vide - Tips, tricks, and recipes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sous Vide - Tips, tricks, and recipes Login/Join 
posted
I have a Sous vide cooker on the way (birthday present from my lovely wife). I know there are several experienced users on here and I’d be greatful for any learning curve-shortening wisdom you are willing to share.

Posts: 996 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Only thing we've taken some time to figure out, is get as much air out of the bag as you can.

But, we're doing if faux style in a ziplock in a stock pot on the stove, until we get an actual controller & vacuum sealer.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15377 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Can use ziplock bags, don’t have to have a sealer.

Easiest way to get all air out with a ziplock is to close all but about an inch and slowly put the bag in the water. Keep the open corner of the bag the highest point. The pressure of the water on the bag will force the air out. Just as you are about to totally submerge the bag, finish closing the seal.

Other tips -

Use some sort of stand or rack to keep bags separated and off the. Bottom. Want the water to be able to fully circulate around the bag.

Cover the water container, helps to keep the heat in and keep the cooker working efficiently

If doing meat, you can sear before or after soup vide bath. If after, pat the meat dry first and it will sear better.

I love SV chicken breasts, super tender, moist and no stringyness

Here is New York Strip I did for about 3.5 hours to 135 degree medium rare, perfect edge to edge color and super tender

All sorts of info and recipes on the web, you’ll love it.

Enjoy!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pro tip: when doing lllooooonnnggg cook times (I've done 100 hr prime rib/short ribs/chuckies etc.), go VERY easy on the salt. From a texture standpoint, an ample amount of salt that you'd traditionally use to dry brine a roast or other big hunk-of-meat will cause a firm/cured texture, instead of the melt-in-your-mouth texture you're looking for from SV, especially with extended baths.

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Can use ziplock bags, don’t have to have a sealer.

Easiest way to get all air out with a ziplock is to close all but about an inch and slowly put the bag in the water. Keep the open corner of the bag the highest point. The pressure of the water on the bag will force the air out. Just as you are about to totally submerge the bag, finish closing the seal.

All sorts of info and recipes on the web, you’ll love it.

Enjoy!

Thanks, will try that the next time.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15377 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since the meat temperature is much lower it will cool off my faster than standard cooking methods. This means have everything else ready for the meal. Otherwise you'll end up with cold meat to eat.

Posts: 547 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We use a vacuum sealer that are inexpensive at Costco. We buy 1 1/2” thick NY steaks when they’re on sale for $6 a pound. We spice, vacuum pack them and freeze. We’ll take them out of the freezer and drop them in the water and cook for about 4 hours. We then sear in a cast iron pan and dive in.

We’ve never been disappointed.

Tougher cuts can be cooked longer to tenderize them.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here is New York Strip I did for about 3.5 hours to 125 degree medium rare, perfect edge to edge color and super tender

I would not cook it below 130 degrees for that long. Sounds like a recipe for food poisoning.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20843 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pasteurization is a value of time and temperature. Low sous vide temps are safe if it’s over a long enough time.

There are charts and tables on the subject.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I'm the amateur as I've only borrowed a SV cooking wand once, but I found fat can/should be trimmed from steaks.
Normally on the grill I plan on much of it getting rendered but w/ SV, the fat is untouched w/ shorter cook times and very present on your plate.
Not a huge deal but as I don't shy from a little bit of nice, melted, fatty goodness, the SV fatty steaks were still a bit solid.

Posts: 7375 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spokane228:
Pasteurization is a value of time and temperature. Low sous vide temps are safe if it’s over a long enough time.

There are charts and tables on the subject.

No, no, NO!!! Pasteurization, yes, food safety, no. Meat should NOT be in SV for longer than 2.5 hours under 130 degrees. It's fine for a short steak bath of an hour or two, since it's still inside the 4 hours combined between 40 & 140 rule. I don't mean to sound scoldy, but it's very serious, and can often be overlooked. Do a web search on "sous vide meat below 130". Please.

Posts: 1704 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hawkins
posted Hide Post
tip:

When doing longer cooks (chuck or round roasts for example), I'll presear, because it helps kill whatever lives on the outside of the meat, which can ruin a relatively low cook - some people recommend quickly "par boiling" roasts for the same reason. (see the conversation about long cooks below 130. I'll do long cooks at 131, just for that extra degree of safety)

after removing the meat from the bath, take it out of your bag, dry it off, and *let it cool* for 5-10 minutes. This isn't letting it rest. This is to 1) give moisture a chance to evaporate (moisture is the enemy of a good sear), and 2) when you do sear now, you can go longer without raising the internal temperature beyond what you cooked at.

For example, if you take out a steak cooked at 129, let it cool for 5-10 minutes, so that when you sear it, the surface will get ripping hot, really quickly, and that heat will start to transmit inwards. Had you seared immediately, that internal temperature would raise above 130, potentially making your medium rare a medium or worse. Letting the meat cool a bit gives you a buffer zone.

--------------
July NoVA Sigshoot: Shooter's Paradise; 0900 (9AM) 23July05

My Signature is almost a decade out of date!

Posts: 4686 | Location: VA | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Here is New York Strip I did for about 3.5 hours to 125 degree medium rare, perfect edge to edge color and super tender

I would not cook it below 130 degrees for that long. Sounds like a recipe for food poisoning.

Typo, medium rare is closer to 135 (original post corrected)

125 would be rare.

As another said, longer time makes lower temp safe. Safe either way though.

http://sousvide.wikia.com/wiki...n_pasteurizing_times

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post