SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shipping with UPack, PODS, or U-haul
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping with UPack, PODS, or U-haul Login/Join 
Picture of DC3S
posted
Helping out with moving the contents of a 10 x 10 storage unit from New Orleans to New England.

Looking for any experiences using UPack or PODS like delivery service.

Renting a U-Haul van and driving would be to expensive I believe.

https://www.moving.com/tips/u-...etter-for-your-move/

Cheers.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
https://moving101.hireahelper....-storage-containers/

Posts: 13804 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have friends that have used the pods as well as the uhaul system. They had positive experiences with both companies.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Having just made a major move, I offer the following. POD's was considered, but they did not service the move from area, only the move to, so they were a no go. Upack was also a problem. They wanted me to get my stuff to a major area they served and then could move it, but what good was that if I had to move it to where they had service available. My take on them is check to see if they service both ends of your move.

As for Uhaul, every time I used them to move it was a good move. I moved storage areas in one of their large trailers and moved it myself, the least expensive route. A larger move, I used their biggest truck and it was not really all that bad for cost. They give you a mileage and number of days allowance, but the fuel cost is the major factor.

For the 10 x 10 storage area, if you can get it in a trailer and you have something strong enough to pull it, that would be the way I'd go.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I've used the PODS things twice now, and love it. Had a coworker use for bulk of a local move where they needed temp interim storage to good effect too.

In our first case it was really good as we loaded up one pod prior to listing house. We were able to clear out some extra pieces of furniture to "add" space, most everything from garage/basement and entire attic, holiday decorations, extra and seasonal clothes etc.

The best part was when we moved into our new home 750 miles away, we just left this container behind for a couple months while we got settled in and didn't need any of this stuff. Then had it delivered and were better able to roll all that content in without overwhelming the process all at once.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12396 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
U-Haul has UBOX. 25 year employee here. Email in profile. The link has a 1 month free offer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Considering this route to complete my move from TX -> NC. Waiting for TX house to sell...

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I've used the PODS things twice now, and love it. Had a coworker use for bulk of a local move where they needed temp interim storage to good effect too.

In our first case it was really good as we loaded up one pod prior to listing house. We were able to clear out some extra pieces of furniture to "add" space, most everything from garage/basement and entire attic, holiday decorations, extra and seasonal clothes etc.

The best part was when we moved into our new home 750 miles away, we just left this container behind for a couple months while we got settled in and didn't need any of this stuff. Then had it delivered and were better able to roll all that content in without overwhelming the process all at once.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DC3S
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies, and also the u-haul offer link.

Move is mostly urban to urban, so that should be ok for pickup and drop off.

It's also @1700 miles. There is no vehicle to pull a trailer, and the expense of renting a box van and mileage is a factor.

Cheers.

"Freedom is a light for which many men have died in darkness."

Posts: 210 | Location: FL USA | Registered: February 03, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post