SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Deputy bitten by another Deputy's K 9
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deputy bitten by another Deputy's K 9 Login/Join 
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

In my wife's department (and the neighboring county department) it was standard practice to notify officers on the scene before a criminal apprehension dog ("bite dog") was released to work the scene. IOW, stay well clear, or just get in your cruiser. Even then, bites to officers did occur occasionally.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10787 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Being Sgt. of patrol, I had “fun” being chased and taken down by our four legged beast many times even with a bite suit on you end up getting bruises. You learn quickly what parts of your body is better to give the k9 access to while running and hiding. Even though you are preparing for the bite you hope he takes the part of the body your feeding him.

Even in the bite suit, there always is that lingering question in the back of your mind; will I taste too good for the dog to stop biting or will the dog go into eating mode? Eek

Posts: 3935 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
One deputy was bitten by another Deputy's K-9

My guess is that the deputy was a cat person and probably had it coming. Big Grin

Posts: 6623 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
If the dog is off lead, stay in the car. The dog doesn't recognize the uniform. I've been bitten in training, not my fault and in the field, my fault.

In my experience, this happens frequently.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
Being Sgt. of patrol, I had “fun” being chased and taken down by our four legged beast many times even with a bite suit on you end up getting bruises. You learn quickly what parts of your body is better to give the k9 access to while running and hiding. Even though you are preparing for the bite you hope he takes the part of the body your feeding him.

Even in the bite suit, there always is that lingering question in the back of your mind; will I taste too good for the dog to stop biting or will the dog go into eating mode? Eek

LOL true and then you have a thought being a supervisor is there something I did that caused the officer to wait a bit longer to call his partner off!!! Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4837 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I had no idea of the frequency of dog bites. They never show this on Live PD or Cops. LOL

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
The first to me I saw it happen was back in 91 or 92. A pursuit through multiple jurisdictions of a 40 foot stolen purple bus. One agency fired shots at the driver as he went under an overpass on the interstate. This resulted in a crash and foot pursuit. A third agency released a K9 which promptly bit one of the pursuing officers in the ass. At the end of the day, no one was really hurt and the bad guy was in custody. Good times.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
Happens to me every 7 years or so. They just bite and are crazy fast.

If you are the one of deputy that runs with K9 on tracks...it is just a matter of time.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rmc85
posted Hide Post
My buddy is k9 at our city pd and his dog has bitten more cops than suspects.

Posts: 2997 | Location: FL | Registered: March 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post