SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Amazon and Walmart to pay college tuition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Amazon and Walmart to pay college tuition Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know the details? I am skeptical and not fond of either company. They seem to advertise their generosity quite freely. I know there have to be limits. BTW not interested personally as all my immediate family is done with college.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
I know there have to be limits.
I'll wager I can name three or four of those limitations without even trying.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I don't know any of the details but I'm all for companies offering tuition reimbursement. I got through college and two master programs that way. My MBA was fully funded and my other two diplomas were partially funded as I switched companies.

I do hope they don't pay for basket weaving degrees. Usually, companies pay for programs for which supposedly the recipient can use within the company but Amazon was advertising this guy who used to work in the warehouse and was put through medical assistant school and is working as such and is even working to get his registered nurse degree. I suppose I can understand that as there's limited degrees you need for working in a warehouse and distribution company.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I saw the "they pay for my degree to be a nurse" ad, I wondered if they were also offering to pay for employees who want to go to trade schools to learn how to maintain and support the Amazon / WalMart infrastructure, like the sorting machines, trucks and electrical equipment.
Would seem to be more beneficial to the company that training people to quit.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They'll pass the savings onto us...

Posts: 840 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
Walmart is mainly business, transportation, and IT degrees. Have several friends using it. It's not reimbursement. They're paying for it outright.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My fiancé is a manager at our local Wally, excellent money but it’s still retail. She just jumped on board with them paying for a full bachelor degree. No strings as long as you stay with them till you get your degree. Soon after she jumped on board, they quit offering it because they had so many take them up. She’s got 35 years with the company and while she’s well over 100k plus bonuses, it’s still retail and it’s not the Sam Waltons Walmart of when she started. She can’t go anywhere and make the kind of money they are paying her without having that paper. The decision was easy for us. She could retire with a marvelous pension from them but when she’s done with the degree, she’ll only be 55 and doesn’t not want to work. It was a no brained for us

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was curious if there was a dollar limit and a restriction on Majors. A Divinity degree from Harvard for example is pretty expensive.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ZSMICHAEL… there were restrictions on which schools you could use. None of them were bad schools at all, she chose Perdue. Financially we could have swung it no problem if she chose to do it on her own but with 3 kids in college already, it was such a burden lifted when they offered it. She got her Resl Estate license last year but when they offered to pay for the 4 year degree, we thought why not and hopefully we can establish a business of some sort when she’s done just for her. She’s paid her dues and now she’s taking advantage of all the years she’s slaved for them.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:

A Divinity degree from Harvard for example is pretty expensive.
I've seen them (Divinity degrees) offered pretty cheap. Not sure where I saw the ad, might have been in the back of a magazine in the barber shop.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will still get to pay taxes on school money as that will be classified as income.

Posts: 1397 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Oaklane.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It is good business to develop your workforce for the future

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
BASF paid for my associates degree. I think they reimbursed me after every class. Also I needed a B or higher to get that reimbursement otherwise I would pay.
I would have my bachelors degree had it not been for outsourcing.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Target paid for my wife’s bachelors degree… 20 years ago.

She wants to go back and get her masters and they will pay for that too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I've seen them (Divinity degrees) offered pretty cheap. Not sure where I saw the ad, might have been in the back of a magazine in the barber shop.

You have enough hair to see a barber? Wink

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post