Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
| Member |
Why? If there is no driver to use the wheel or pedals why would their presence make you feel better. Would you ride in the back of a Model Y (the current cars that they are using) with no driver but it has a wheel and pedals? Are you planning to try and jump up into the drivers seat and take over in an emergency? An autonomous car has no need for a steering wheel or pedals. | |||
|
| Member |
Yes they did a study and found 85 to 90 percent of pay rides were two or fewer passengers. They wanted to keep the cost of the car as low as possible and make the car light as possible for battery efficiency. It is also cheaper and easier to clean. They developed a robot cleaning station to service the cars. | |||
|
| Member |
All Tesla's including the new cabs have GROK built in. In my Model S it was added via over the air upgrade a few months ago. It is only partially able to control things in the car right now but is getting better with upgrades. I predict that the cab when they start running will be fully controlled by talking to GROK. I also predict that in my personal car GROK will be able to control virtually all the settings including all the current settings that are curently controlled by the standard in car voice app. The difference will be I won't have to memorize exact phases, I will able to converse with the car and it will understand what I want. In my Model S right now, GROK mainly can control navigation. The car can be driving me somewhere and I can be talking to GROK about any subject. I can decide I am hungry and say, GROK what are the top 5 rated Chinese restraunts along my current route. Ok, Number 2 sounds good what is on their menu? Any specials listed for today? Ok, let's stop for lunch there. Oh, and by the way please stop at the nearest Walmart along the way so I can get some shampoo for Mary. No wait, I changed my mind I am really hungry lets eat first and go to walmart after. All the routing gets changed in real time automatically. Here are some other things it can do What Grok can currently control Navigation — Set destinations, adjust routes, find points of interest, add stops Phone calls — Place calls Media — Search for and play music Climate — Adjust cabin temperature, HVAC system, and seat heating/ventilation Glovebox — Open it Controls/Settings — Search and open specific menus (e.g., steering weight or other vehicle settings) Location-based reminders — e.g., “Remind me to grab the gym bag when I get home” General questions — About the car, software, or almost anything else (conversational AI) You can use natural language (e.g., “Hey Grok, turn the AC down, play some jazz, and navigate to work”). Multi-part commands often work in one request. | |||
|
| Smarter than the average bear |
As soon as I saw that they were using Jaguar SUVs my first thought was “good luck with that”. Terrible reputation for reliability. | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
Re: straightshooter’s post, two above. The age of the smart car is upon us. As if a self-driving car isn’t enough. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
That sounds much better than three 16yo boys with smartphones. They can tell me what the permit fees are for various wildlife management units in Florida are, but ask them to figure out what the want to eat at the exit 30 miles up and crickets. | |||
|
אַרְיֵה![]() |
I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that. הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
In the past week I’ve seen two Waymo vehicles in my San Diego neighborhood. Both with a driver and no passengers. Apparently in the testing stage. Some odd looking devices on their back corners. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
אַרְיֵה![]() |
Framistans? הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Tesla has the ok to put up to 5000 robo taxis in use in the Las Vegas area, regular cabs are going to cease to exist sometime soon. If He should sell franchises they would raise billions from investment firms and expand the Robotaxis quickly, maybe that's the LT plan... https://x.com/reMugi3/status/2091266569393369506 | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
Same with Uber and Lyft. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Those are most likely to disappear first, Question is in a place like NYC with Cab medallions now being owned/leased by people to drivers, it should destroy that game where investors buy up the medallions and lease them out for monthly payback. Or will the Socialist government insist that cab rides in MuskMobiles be given gratis... Wonder how they handle some homeless bum that just gets into one of the cars and goes to sleep..... Ejectoseato! | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
Or will attempt to make robo taxis and Waymo uneconomic via taxes, unreasonable safety checks, etc. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
| Member |
Not too long ago there was a story about these driverless Waymo in Atlanta loitering on a cul-de-sac when they didn't have a fare. Blocking people from leaving their home. Putting on my tinfoil hat, the flock cameras will map your activities and these driverless cars will use your driveway to idle at times you are not likely to notice. Then, when driverless cargo trucks hit the roadway, truck drivers will be unemployed. Those folks are often country boys with guns. Mad Max here we come. Beagle lives matter. ______ (\ / @\_____ / ( ) /O / ( )______/ ///_____/ | |||
|
| Like a party in your pants |
Musk will sell franchises to Uber and Lyft, No more Union problems or other human problems for Uber and Lyft. Humans are there main problem. | |||
|
| Member |
Just a related thought… When I was working in New York and living on Long Island, the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) was a critical link to NYC! I can see the Tesla/other driverless transport being the savior of high speed rail transport! That, tied with an efficient busing system, could virtually eliminate the need for private vehicle ownership. The continued increase in cost of ownership of private vehicles, based on purchase price, maintenance and insurance will increase desirability of public transportation. The need for private ownership in rural areas will be undiminished! I contemplate that the rural vehicle will be a hybrid SUV/pickup! No quarter .308/.223 | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
^^^^ You use more exclamation marks than nhracecraft. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
| safe & sound |
That tied with a surveillance society can control exactly where you can and can't go, when, and for what reason. Can't wait! | |||
|
| Member |
I think it's just going to give a lot of people a cheaper and more attainable form of transportation. | |||
|
| Member |
Well about 4 million people wont have driving jobs so define cheaper and more attainable. Beagle lives matter. ______ (\ / @\_____ / ( ) /O / ( )______/ ///_____/ | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 3 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

