Go ![]() | New ![]() | Find ![]() | Notify ![]() | Tools ![]() | Reply ![]() | |
Oriental Redneck![]() |
Never even noticed them until a few days ago. Saw a Tesla parked in front of neighbor’s house. There was some lettering on the door that I didn’t pay attention to. All of a sudden, it started driving off with no one inside. Did some checking and found out Tesla recently start their own RoboTaxi service in this NW part of Houston. Total Recall has finally arrived. Q | ||
|
| Thank you Very little ![]() |
Yep its here in Orlando area, mostly downtown, I have seen one or two here on the outskirts, probably delivering someone home. I'd take one just to see it work.... Although, I can't see it being a good replacement for a real NYC city cabbie, if you can find a natural born USA City cabbie in NYC... still. | |||
|
| Member |
Let us know when you see the first CyberCab. | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
My financial guy says that Waymo driverless cabs will soon be operating here in San Diego. That’ll be tough on Uber drivers. I believe he said Waymo was a google company. “Waymo operates fully driverless, autonomous taxi services in major metropolitan areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Austin, using an all-electric fleet of modified Jaguar SUVs equipped with lidar and cameras. Riders book and unlock trips directly via the Waymo App or select markets via partnership integrations.” –Waymo Serious about crackers. | |||
|
Member![]() |
I think I saw one in Austin a couple weeks ago, 2 door, goldish color. The Enemy's gate is down. | |||
|
| Member |
Yeah, you can't miss them. None have been officially put into service yet but production has started. | |||
|
| Savor the limelight |
I’m curious who among the membership here will be the first Beta tester? | |||
|
Member![]() |
Taken Waymo twice (Both times in Phoenix). They were Jaguar SUVs. Freaking awesome; 100% recommend; 100% will do any time it is an option. Blows away any Taxi or Uber I've ever taken and I probably take ~5 a month (For work). 100% they are safer and more comfortable than any other option. Plus, both times, it was cheaper than Uber. Caveat: There is a known trend: Waymo will always er on the side of caution and yield... People living in Wayne areas, being assholes, relentlessly cut them off on purpose knowing they will yield (And probably ambulance chasers chomping at the bit to get a pound of flesh). | |||
|
| Purveyor of Fine Avatars ![]() |
I've tried Waymo in San Francisco and concur that it's an enjoyable experience; however, there have been plenty of reports of issues with cars jamming up traffic or causing a ruckus at odd hours at their collection points. I'd love to try a Tesla cab, as I've never been in a Tesla despite coworkers owning them. "I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes" | |||
|
Oriental Redneck![]() |
Now that y’all mention it, yes, I’ve been seeing these ugly trash cans around here recently, too. Mrs Q calls the CyberTruck a trash can. And the CyberCab looks just like a mini version of the CyberTruck. Q | |||
|
Baroque Bloke![]() |
^^^^^ The CyberTruck is butt ugly. But the CyberCab images I’ve seen on the web look pretty good to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Serious about crackers. | |||
|
Oriental Redneck![]() |
A yellow trash can just passed by my house a while ago, while I was watering the plants, with the window down, as if to yell out, "Look Ma, no hands! Err...I mean, No one!" Q | |||
|
| Honky Lips |
there is also Zoox in Vegas. Its almost like I wasn't talking out of my ass in my death of human driving thread _____________________________________________ Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways." | |||
|
thin skin can't win![]() |
Why a fleet of self-driving Waymo SUVs flooded a quiet Atlanta street Putting out the little children playing thing was good. You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02 | |||
|
Diablo Blanco![]() |
At my place in Dallas last year, Waymo had been introduced and they all had a “driver” sitting in the front seat just to make people feel more comfortable. Here in Nashville there is an enormous fleet of Waymo Jaguar SUVs moving tourists all over the city. I am not a fan. _________________________ "An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last” - Winston Churchil | |||
|
| Member |
I believe the latest taxi has no steering wheel or brake pedal. Pass. ----------------------------------------- Roll Tide! Glock Certified Armorer NRA Certified Firearms Instructor | |||
|
Member![]() |
I find it quite odd Tesla chose this configuration as their taxi. Two seats and no back window, so a group of three or more cannot use their service. Was it because they find the majority of the fares are only single riders? Moreover, the current model line does not offer a two door. Looks sporty enough. Shirley some of their customer might want to buy a coupe-ish EV. | |||
|
Oriental Redneck![]() |
Their fleet has both 2-door and 4-door cars. Q | |||
|
| Purveyor of Death and Destruction ![]() |
I finally saw a Waymo for the first time a couple months back in Orlando. But it was on a tow truck | |||
|
| Optimistic Cynic |
I get not having a steering wheel or brake pedal. However, I wonder if there is a voice-activated override to the default settings, being able to say things like, "you're making me nervous, slow down," or "I'm running late, you are authorized to go to 110% on the reactor." It would also be useful to be allow advice on routing options like, "avoid the Van Wyck," "make sure to drive by Delores Purdy's place," or "take me to the nearest public bathroom immediately." I suspect it will be some time before we see these in the DC area. Maybe some time after that we will even be allowed to fly drones. | |||
|
| Powered by Social Strata | Page 1 2 3 |
| Please Wait. Your request is being processed... |
|

