SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla RoboTaxi fleet been roaming around my area
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Tesla RoboTaxi fleet been roaming around my area Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Never even noticed them until a few days ago. Saw a Tesla parked in front of neighbor’s house. There was some lettering on the door that I didn’t pay attention to. All of a sudden, it started driving off with no one inside. Did some checking and found out Tesla recently start their own RoboTaxi service in this NW part of Houston. Total Recall has finally arrived.


Q






 
Posts: 31441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep its here in Orlando area, mostly downtown, I have seen one or two here on the outskirts, probably delivering someone home.

I'd take one just to see it work....

Although, I can't see it being a good replacement for a real NYC city cabbie, if you can find a natural born USA City cabbie in NYC... still.
 
Posts: 28567 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Let us know when you see the first CyberCab.
 
Posts: 395 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My financial guy says that Waymo driverless cabs will soon be operating here in San Diego. That’ll be tough on Uber drivers. I believe he said Waymo was a google company.

“Waymo operates fully driverless, autonomous taxi services in major metropolitan areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Austin, using an all-electric fleet of modified Jaguar SUVs equipped with lidar and cameras. Riders book and unlock trips directly via the Waymo App or select markets via partnership integrations.”
–Waymo



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11797 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crue-dell:
Let us know when you see the first CyberCab.


I think I saw one in Austin a couple weeks ago, 2 door, goldish color.




The Enemy's gate is down.
 
Posts: 18862 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, you can't miss them. None have been officially put into service yet but production has started.
 
Posts: 395 | Location: Bardstown, Ky | Registered: December 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I’m curious who among the membership here will be the first Beta tester?
 
Posts: 14924 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Speedbird
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
My financial guy says that Waymo driverless cabs will soon be operating here in San Diego. That’ll be tough on Uber drivers. I believe he said Waymo was a google company.

“Waymo operates fully driverless, autonomous taxi services in major metropolitan areas like San Francisco, Los Angeles, Phoenix, and Austin, using an all-electric fleet of modified Jaguar SUVs equipped with lidar and cameras. Riders book and unlock trips directly via the Waymo App or select markets via partnership integrations.”
–Waymo

Taken Waymo twice (Both times in Phoenix). They were Jaguar SUVs. Freaking awesome; 100% recommend; 100% will do any time it is an option. Blows away any Taxi or Uber I've ever taken and I probably take ~5 a month (For work). 100% they are safer and more comfortable than any other option. Plus, both times, it was cheaper than Uber. Caveat: There is a known trend: Waymo will always er on the side of caution and yield... People living in Wayne areas, being assholes, relentlessly cut them off on purpose knowing they will yield (And probably ambulance chasers chomping at the bit to get a pound of flesh).
 
Posts: 708 | Location: Fort Couch (VA) | Registered: December 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I've tried Waymo in San Francisco and concur that it's an enjoyable experience; however, there have been plenty of reports of issues with cars jamming up traffic or causing a ruckus at odd hours at their collection points.

I'd love to try a Tesla cab, as I've never been in a Tesla despite coworkers owning them.



"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"
 
Posts: 18556 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:
Originally posted by crue-dell:
Let us know when you see the first CyberCab.


I think I saw one in Austin a couple weeks ago, 2 door, goldish color.

Now that y’all mention it, yes, I’ve been seeing these ugly trash cans around here recently, too. Mrs Q calls the CyberTruck a trash can. And the CyberCab looks just like a mini version of the CyberTruck.


Q






 
Posts: 31441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
The CyberTruck is butt ugly. But the CyberCab images I’ve seen on the web look pretty good to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.



Serious about crackers.
 
Posts: 11797 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
A yellow trash can just passed by my house a while ago, while I was watering the plants, with the window down, as if to yell out, "Look Ma, no hands! Err...I mean, No one!" Big Grin


Q






 
Posts: 31441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
there is also Zoox in Vegas.

Its almost like I wasn't talking out of my ass in my death of human driving thread Big Grin


_____________________________________________
Proverbs 3:31 "Envy thou not the oppressor, and choose none of his ways."
 
Posts: 9558 | Location: Great Basin | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Why a fleet of self-driving Waymo SUVs flooded a quiet Atlanta street

Putting out the little children playing thing was good.



You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

 
Posts: 13697 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
At my place in Dallas last year, Waymo had been introduced and they all had a “driver” sitting in the front seat just to make people feel more comfortable. Here in Nashville there is an enormous fleet of Waymo Jaguar SUVs moving tourists all over the city. I am not a fan.


_________________________
"An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile - hoping it will eat him last” - Winston Churchil
 
Posts: 3380 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I believe the latest taxi has no steering wheel or brake pedal. Pass.


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8476 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
2 door, goldish color.



I find it quite odd Tesla chose this configuration as their taxi. Two seats and no back window, so a group of three or more cannot use their service. Was it because they find the majority of the fares are only single riders? Moreover, the current model line does not offer a two door. Looks sporty enough. Shirley some of their customer might want to buy a coupe-ish EV. Confused
 
Posts: 3042 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
I find it quite odd Tesla chose this configuration as their taxi.

Their fleet has both 2-door and 4-door cars.


Q






 
Posts: 31441 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
I finally saw a Waymo for the first time a couple months back in Orlando. But it was on a tow truck Big Grin
 
Posts: 7517 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I get not having a steering wheel or brake pedal. However, I wonder if there is a voice-activated override to the default settings, being able to say things like, "you're making me nervous, slow down," or "I'm running late, you are authorized to go to 110% on the reactor."

It would also be useful to be allow advice on routing options like, "avoid the Van Wyck," "make sure to drive by Delores Purdy's place," or "take me to the nearest public bathroom immediately."

I suspect it will be some time before we see these in the DC area. Maybe some time after that we will even be allowed to fly drones.
 
Posts: 8140 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Tesla RoboTaxi fleet been roaming around my area

© SIGforum 2026