SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fair price on used vehicle >>>>>>>
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fair price on used vehicle >>>>>>> Login/Join 
posted
I am trying to help a friend sell a used fully loaded with leather, etc. 2006 Honda Pilot Limited with 200K miles with an overheated engine. Everything else on the vehicle is in great shape. Has new tires. We took it to a good friends shop that I trust that specializes in Honda / Acuras to get diagnosed and he said that unfortunately it lost compression. He was able to source a good engine locally with less than 100K miles for less than $1000 with a 1-year warranty but it is the labor of removing the old engine and installing the new engine that is expensive. Used Pilots of the same age, etc. in my area are averaging about $6500. The cost of the replacement motor installed, etc. is about $4500+ depending on what other parts may need to be replaced while he is in there. What does the Sig experts say is a good advertising and acceptance price ??? Thank you for reading and God Bless Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: VBVAGUY,

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Using your numbers for the price of repairs I'd say very little. Maybe $1000-$1500 at most.

If I was a potential buyer with a $2000 difference between a running car that drives right now, and this one needing a $4500+ repair plus hassles, towing, with the inherent risks involved, I'd buy the runner, not a project. Why did it overheat, an internal engine problem or external like a bad radiator (requiring more expense & risk)?

This is really a car for someone like the mechanic that can do the labor themselves, not a retail buyer. In fact I'd ask the shop owner if he's interested first.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good advice, above.
If you got $1,000 you should smile and take it.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Using your numbers for the price of repairs I'd say very little. Maybe $1000-$1500 at most.

If I was a potential buyer with a $2000 difference between a running car that drives right now, and this one needing a $4500+ repair plus hassles, towing, with the inherent risks involved, I'd buy the runner, not a project. Why did it overheat, an internal engine problem or external like a bad radiator (requiring more expense & risk)?

This is really a car for someone like the mechanic that can do the labor themselves, not a retail buyer. In fact I'd ask the shop owner if he's interested first.

Thank you for your reply. We believe that the radiator got a hole and leaked all of the coolant while she was driving to work on the highway. My friend that owns the Honda / Acura shop said that he is too busy for the next 4 weeks with other projects of building several engines, and regular maintenance jobs from his customers so he has no time for a mechanic special. I agree that this would be perfect for someone that can do the labor themselves. Purchase the engine for under $1000. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
Question the transmission. It got hot also. It has 200,000 on it too.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I had a recent debacle with a Hyundai Sonata.

See how much the catalytic converter is worth, cut it off and sell it and scrap the rest of the car. You’ll probably be happier.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 1 owner with 207k miles. Has 5 pages of carfax anal type maintenance and the timing belt has been done twice. Runs as good as my 2008 Ridgeline with 63k miles. I gave $4800 for the Pilot otd, tax and doc fees included.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Once you indicate you're including tax and doc fees, your number means NOTHING to the rest of us...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8888 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
^^^Once you indicate you're including tax and doc fees, your number means NOTHING to the rest of us...

Sure it does. Value is value regardless where you find it.

And who made you spokesman for the forum?

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to get $1,500 for that.

A 2006 vehicle fully loaded doesn't mean much since cars today pack so many more creature comforts, IMO.

People are going to low ball you either way, though. But with vehicle prices the way they are, who knows what it would really sell for. But a 15 year old vehicle with 200k on everything but the junk yard motor probably isn't commanding a premium, IMO.

I sold my 2003 Civic for $300 last summer. Hood was stuck closed and the vehicle overheated. Since I was moving, I didn't want to deal with it. If it were running fine, I would've likely moved it with me.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
A ‘fully loaded & leather’ at 200k doesn’t mean much to me. Yes, Honda is better, but after those years & mileage extras have a way of getting funky, gremlins.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend always said a running car is alway worth at least a grand - not running unless collectible is worthless - sell this thing far from where u live - bad engine, bad trans but nice seats. Part the car out.

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I had a recent debacle with a Hyundai Sonata.

See how much the catalytic converter is worth, cut it off and sell it and scrap the rest of the car. You’ll probably be happier.

2nd. Unless your going to fix the engine prior to sale the new owner will be walking into a potential money pit.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post