SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Numbers after the decimal in parentheses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Numbers after the decimal in parentheses Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
When there's a number written like this 1.6021766208(98)×10−19 what does the part in parentheses mean? Is it repeating (usually denoted by a line over top) or are they insignificant? Or something else completely?
 
Posts: 45892 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Associated (standard) uncertainty or margin of error.




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46610 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure the technical term is

Fudge Factor
 
Posts: 1014 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Fuck I shouldn't have clicked into this thread. It just confused my life even more. LOL.


_____________

 
Posts: 13485 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Associated (standard) uncertainty or margin of error.
Nifty. So how do I read it?
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
I'm pretty sure the technical term is

Fudge Factor
I like fudge.
 
Posts: 45892 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
it's a SWAG. Scientific Wild-Ass Guess
 
Posts: 7334 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Fuck I shouldn't have clicked into this thread. It just confused my life even more. LOL.
Do you even know what happens if one Boson drops below 126 GeV? Do you?!?
 
Posts: 45892 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post




"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" ✡ Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא עוד
 
Posts: 46610 | Location: Box 1663 Santa Fe, New Mexico | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Associated (standard) uncertainty or margin of error.
Nifty. So how do I read it?
quote:
Originally posted by slyguy:
I'm pretty sure the technical term is

Fudge Factor
I like fudge.


You know he said "factor" and not "packer", right? Big Grin






Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.



"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...



 
Posts: 15033 | Location: It was CA., Now it's "FREEEEEEDOM!!" (TN) | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post



הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
 
Posts: 33802 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Numbers after the decimal in parentheses

© SIGforum 2026