SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Washing Machine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Washing Machine Login/Join 
Picture of JasonATI
posted
Ours is about done for and I've seen that Speed Queen isn't the best any longer. What is the most reliable brand on the market now.

Thank You

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if such a thing exists. We just bought a new set of LG 9000 from Costco at an insanely high price even after $1,000 off. They work great ........ so far.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Not sure about reliable, but I've been happy with my Maytag Commercial grade Residential. It uses a full tank of water and actually cleans your clothes. Only problem is size. A queen comforter is Max size it can handle and sometimes gets jammed when doing comforters requiring a restart.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We've answered this time and time again. Folks here like Speed Queen, even now. I have a modern Speed Queen and it works just fine. Best system I've ever purchased.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5078 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Late model SQs have been reviewed extremely poorly. One professional reviewer I watched said buy anything but a new SQ.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20845 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Speed Queen model change occurred in late 2017 or very early 2018. The dealers are probably long out of the previous model and talk is the new ones have been cheapened. We got a pair of the previous model and they do a good job cleaning though the spin out speed doesn't do a very good job on jeans which come out kind of soppy then take a lot of heat to dry. They have been trouble free so far but we've only had them for about 1 and a half years.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Whirlpool\Maytag\Amana per Appliance Brad.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:
The Speed Queen model change occurred in late 2017 or very early 2018. The dealers are probably long out of the previous model and talk is the new ones have been cheapened. We got a pair of the previous model and they do a good job cleaning though the spin out speed doesn't do a very good job on jeans which come out kind of soppy then take a lot of heat to dry. They have been trouble free so far but we've only had them for about 1 and a half years.

That is not really true. There is nothing that is cheapened in the newer SQ top loaders. What they did is change the agitator from an active style to a type that is fixed to the drum. If anything, the newer ones are more reliable because they have less moving parts, and no protrusion through the drum. As far as the drum, pump, and other mechanicals, the post-17 is just as robust the the previous generation.

They are getting roasted in the reviews because the newer agitator style doesn't clean as well as the older style, for heavily soiled clothing. The newer style just cannot circulate the water with the new agitator design. The bad reviews have nothing to do with reliability, but everything to do with performance. At this point, if you want a new heavy duty washer with an active agitator, you should go with the Maytag commercial, or find a used set of pre-18 SQ.

I bought a 2014 SQ set last year for $240 OTD. They are the most fantastic washer/dryer combo I've ever used.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have new style 2018 speed queen top loading washer and their dryer. These things are build like tanks and have an awesome warranty. So far they have functioned 100 perfect and I don’t see having any problems any time soon. The agitation works differently but my clothes come out clean every time.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Speed queen has the “New” TC5.
https://speedqueen.com/product...op-load-washers/tc5/
It based on their older transmission model units from 2017. For folks who want that model with the 210 degree agitation feature. It has a similar price to the Tr3000.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob at the Beach:
Speed queen has the “New” TC5.
https://speedqueen.com/product...op-load-washers/tc5/
It based on their older transmission model units from 2017. For folks who want that model with the 210 degree agitation feature. It has a similar price to the Tr3000.

^^^^That is great news! It seems that, while still insisting that the newer agitator is superior, they have reintroduced the original, even calling it the "Classic Clean".

It seems a lot like the path a certain cola company took back in 1985. Wink

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no interest in a small Speed Queen washing machine. Simply because it is 3.5 cubic feet.

I have had very good look with Whirlpool/Maytag washers and much prefer ones that are approaching 5 Cubic feet in capacity. I had a Whirlpool duet front loader that did A LOT of laundry for 10 years and just replaced it because the door latch mechanism went bad, which would've been an easy fix, but it was stacked, in a small closet, at a rental property, and didn't want to deal with it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Is Appliance Brad still around? I have not seen a post from him in a long while. If he is seek his input too.

Posts: 3854 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
Is Appliance Brad still around? I have not seen a post from him in a long while. If he is seek his input too.

No. Word is he grew weary of the incessant questions about appliances.

OP, Whatever you do, stay away from Samsung. Their washers and dryers are horrible.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JasonATI
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input, too bad the new Speed Queen is only 3.5. The Maytag 5.2 top loader is what I'm leaning towards.

Posts: 429 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Most of these high capacity washers aren’t built to last. They’ll wash larger loads but won’t last anywhere near as long as a Speed Queen. The Speed Queen handles a queen sized comforter no problem.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3980 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Most of these high capacity washers aren’t built to last. They’ll wash larger loads but won’t last anywhere near as long as a Speed Queen. The Speed Queen handles a queen sized comforter no problem.

I've had the Whirlpool Cabrio with a 4.9 cu foot washer for 5 years now and it does a lot of laundry (maytags brother), it's still fine and no service calls.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

My old Maytag Brovos POS was one of the silly 5 cu ft plus machines, consumer reports best buy. Fuck that piece of junk. 1hr20min load while using 17oz of water to wash it and a splash of water to rinse. Then I'd run another rinse and spin for total of 2hrs total time, vs 50 minutes for non-HE machine. I'll take my Maytag Commercial. No amount of savings is worth improperly rinsed/cleaned cloths.

#BoycotHE

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

posted Hide Post
We have LG front load steam washer and dryer. We are currently selling and they are going with the home. I've had to replace the board twice. The steam features don't work well. I also seem to drop clothing on the floor every time I transfer clothing from washer to dryer. I'd suggest getting a top load. I just know that I'd stay away from LG.

Posts: 791 | Location: PA | Registered: June 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I have no interest in a small Speed Queen washing machine. Simply because it is 3.5 cubic feet.

I have had very good look with Whirlpool/Maytag washers and much prefer ones that are approaching 5 Cubic feet in capacity. I had a Whirlpool duet front loader that did A LOT of laundry for 10 years and just replaced it because the door latch mechanism went bad, which would've been an easy fix, but it was stacked, in a small closet, at a rental property, and didn't want to deal with it.

They are a bit smaller. They hold more laundry by weight. They can wash a 22 pound load. The Maytag commercial model and even the larger home models can’t really wash that big of a load.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post