SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USPS is accusing me of mailing a gun when I mailed a barrel.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USPS is accusing me of mailing a gun when I mailed a barrel. Login/Join 
Picture of RoverSig
posted Hide Post
Some packages - even with tracking - disappear after a while, never to be heard from. Like a small spring from a gun you are working on.

I sent someone a box of 500 Montana Gold .45 bullets -- not rounds, just bullets -- in a priority mail flat rate box. Tracking showed it got as far as the local sorting center, then was never seen or heard from again. How do you lose a box of bullets? I suspect it somehow got opened and the bullets spilled. And there was no way to recover from that.

The post office is mediocre at best, although some good people work there.

Posts: 1597 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: June 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
They're milking the COVID excuse for all it's worth. What it comes down to- with all the fancy explanations set aside- is that the employees of the USPS are lazy and the people who run the USPS are criminally incompetent.

UPS and FedEx do the same,

signature, (adult or otherwise) confirmation is pretty much meaningless,

our FedEx deliveries are left leaning against a door, vehicle, or even a tree by the mailbox,

our UPS Guy will at least put his eyeballs on you before he drops off,

USPS just leaves a tag in the mailbox, they rarely bother taking a trip down the driveway, (new guy, seems nice, but the old guy was much more customer oriented)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
btw,

if you (OP) still has the receipt from purchase, or maybe even a print out of what the item actually is, then take a trip to your (by zipcode) post office,

tell the postmaster, the issues, and that you have tried customer service, and see if he/she/they can help with the process,

I have to use the customer service hotline a few times, and like the counter help, not every one was on the same page,

Posts: 10435 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This was a private party sale of a used item, so no receipt. Somewhere I have the scan of the postal money order the buyer sent me, maybe have item listen on the memo line. If they really wanted to make a federal case out of it, I suppose I could dig up the old ad here in SF and my emails and texts with the buyer.

Is it possible for us peasants to get an in-person audience with a postmaster? I've been to their big HQ in DC many times, but never seen anything more than what looks like a normal post office around my area.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is it possible for us peasants to get an in-person audience with a postmaster? I've been to their big HQ in DC many times, but never seen anything more than what looks like a normal post office around my area.

If he/she is in the office, it's most likely. I used to handle customer "inquires" frequently. It shouldn't be a problem. Or were you referring to the Postmaster General of the United States? The answer to that is.....probably not. Smile

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoverSig:
Some packages - even with tracking - disappear after a while, never to be heard from. Like a small spring from a gun you are working on...Tracking showed it got as far as the local sorting center, then was never seen or heard from again.

Kind of like this. I think ANTIFA has infiltrated the Portland, OR, sorting center. It must have "fallen" off a belt or something.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Antifa? I blame most of the problem on the motherfuckers who ripped out the sorting machines months ago. Until then, delivery times seemed ok, or at least "normal." All those people and the people who directed them should be in prison.

Posts: 4080 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
I've had to put signs up ON MY PROPERTY so they'll deliver to the right place.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39770 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
Antifa?

It was sarcasm

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3462 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I sold a P226 .357SIG barrel only to another SF'er a few months ago. I foolishly skipped the insurance, though I sent it USPS Priority Mail, which includes $50 of insurance. The barrel never arrived. USPS claimed it was delivered, and it may well have been, but the buyer never saw it.

I filed a claim with USPS and instantly lost because they said it was delivered. Oh well, case closed because they claim it was delivered! Such idiots.

I appealed, said it may have been delivered, but it was not delivered to the correct address. Their next letter totally ignored my appeal and said I cannot mail guns USPS and asked for a copy of my FFL. Can you believe this? I appealed again, told them a barrel was not a gun and can be mailed and received in any state via USPS sans FFL. Once again, they ignored that appeal, sent me another letter saying case is closed and reminding me that I cannot mail guns without an FFL.

I refunded the buyer his money, but at this point I just want someone at USPS to acknowledge their utter incompetence and ignorance. Not like my US Senators' staffers will care at all. But I'm getting close to finding someone at USPS on LinkedIn and writing them a longer letter than USPS allows in their 255 character online appeal template. I hate everyone.

Are There not are other shipping/delivery options? Might cost a bit more but a LOT less BS to deal with.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
I sent some important training material to a friend; he was in a hotel in Miami. I sent two packets. One arrived. The other was sent to a distribution center. I called. They said it was delivered. No, it wasn't. it was sent to the distribution center, by USPS, not to the address on the package. They insisted my friend had to come pick it up. He didn't have time.

I was told it would be sent back to me, after ten days, if he didn't get it. Months later, it's just gone. I'll never see it. I insisted it wasn't delivered until they took it to the address on the package. They disputed that, and refused to talk about it. Hung up.

Unimpressed.

I have been unimpressed with many things "gubbermint" for some time now. The USPS is simply setting the very high standard for the most incompetent gubbermnint agency in US history.

I recall an incident some years ago when a small package mailed to me bounced back and forth between the same 2 USPS facilities for 2 weeks. That incident got to be a standing joke here on the forum.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
All the major carriers are displaying levels of incompetence never seen before. So it's not just USPS, but FedEx, UPS, DHL, et cetera ad nauseum.

Look at this ridiculous package travel history. WTF did they feel the need to send it EAST to NJ and PA? That's the WRONG direction. OH to SD is WESTERLY!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep, PA sent my Holosun via FedEx, who promptly took it, lost it, and after PA contacted them, found it and delivered it several days late...

Posts: 23576 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Look at this ridiculous package travel history. WTF did they feel the need to send it EAST to NJ and PA? That's the WRONG direction. OH to SD is WESTERLY!

Big Grin

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Doesn't every FedEx package go to Nashville before it gets routed to its addressee? I know that sounds crazy for a package going from Phoenix to Seattle. But they probably know what they're doing. The problem is USPS not knowing what they're doing and not being accountable to anyone.

Posts: 3555 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Doesn't every FedEx package go to Nashville before it gets routed to its addressee?

Nope. Look at my tracking history above. You see Nashville or Memphis for that matter?

Years ago everything went through Memphis. Not any more.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
"Plumbing parts"

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
A year ago or so I sent a S&W Model 66 for warranty work and while there, a performance package upgrade. S&W sent me a label and I contacted FedEs for a pickup. The next day the FedEx guy comes to the door and picks up my package. But for some reason he looked confused. I didn't think anything of it until I tried to track the package. Nada, nothing! I called FedEx and they couldn't find it. The next day they found it but it wasn't where it was supposed to be. It should have gone express and instead it went ground. Yeah, the FedEx big wheel I spoke to was nervous about that one especially since you had to announce to the driver that there was a firearm in the package.

The USPS is the most trusted quasi-government agency by a long shot. They normally do a good job around here.

Posts: 6634 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
I've had to put signs up ON MY PROPERTY so they'll deliver to the right place.

my shop is in a residential neighborhood,

the house we (brother and I own, he lives there) is straight down a lengthy driveway,

the shop is ~50 yrds to the right of the house, and has a separate drive that splits off, goes to the shop, and around to the backside of the house, basically a big loop,

I have had numerous styles and sizes of signs at the fork in the road ,
big UPS/Fed EX and an arrow pointing up the drive to the shop,

you can see the shop from the fork, even in the summer when the trees are full of leaves,

USPS drivers get it,
UPS drivers get it , unless I get a vacation replacement driver,

FedEx Express usually, but not always gets it,

Fed Ex ground never has, they drive down, sometimes, and drop stuff at either the front door, basement door, or florida room door,

never the same door,
sometimes they leave stuff just leaning anywhere,