SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    "She can't help being ugly, but she could stay home." - West Virginia sayings.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"She can't help being ugly, but she could stay home." - West Virginia sayings. Login/Join 
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I have to say I've heard all of those in movies or on TV.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16525 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Not going to lie- I’ve used more than a few of these Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15606 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
My parents originated from northern and extreme eastern edge of the PA Allegheny plateau and I have heard of about 1/6 of those expressions in usage growing up. Mostly from persons equal in age or older than my grandparents were at that time.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Growing up in the 50s in the hill country of northern Arkansas long before Walmart I heard this language spoken often by the older less educated people of the region and often dabbled in those words and many others myself. While attending the University in the 60s I learned how to speak in the more acceptable midwestern dialect of the educated class and suppress my southern accent. During the next few decades as a career military officer I would confuse daylights out of my friends when under the influence of a few spirit imbibed drinks I would slip back into my old southern drawl and sprinkle my dialogue with a few of these choice phrases. Imagine their surprise when they found out the language I spoke everyday was the put on not the alcohol inspired one they were hearing. Now I live in rural Alabama where nobody care how you speak like it was when I was raising up down in Arkansas.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not from Appalachia but I am from a family of rural country people and I've heard many of those words all of my life.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3540 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm from Louisiana and a lot of those sayings are used around here . Or variations of them . We have a lot of our own as well .

Posts: 4064 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We’re country people, we speak this way.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I'm from Louisiana and a lot of those sayings are used around here . Or variations of them . We have a lot of our own as well .

Yup, remember a fair bit of that from my childhood in SE TX.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15349 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up hearing most all of those sayings in Central Oklahoma. I don't need for anyone to interpret for me.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
My relatives in Missouri and Arkansas used many of those sayings, back in the 1940s and 50s.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I handle claims in West Virginia and one I've heard there and nowhere else is "Fruity Drink." As in, "We was drinkin' fruity drink when I ran over my other friend's legs." Apparently, fruity drink is homemade alcohol with chunks of fruit fermenting in it.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in a small Iowa town of predominately German ancestry, probably 95%, and am familiar with about 1/3 - 1/2 of those words.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
I handle claims in West Virginia and one I've heard there and nowhere else is "Fruity Drink." As in, "We was drinkin' fruity drink when I ran over my other friend's legs." Apparently, fruity drink is homemade alcohol with chunks of fruit fermenting in it.

Or went away to college.. Big Grin Beer was expensive.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
My wife is always asking me to translate what my family is saying. She also still tries to stop me from saying words and phrases the "Wrong way" like Pocket Book for a handbag, Buggy for a shopping cart, Sweeper for a vacuum cleaner, holler, yonder, "cooking a mess of beans" Greazy for greasy. I could go on for ever Big Grin

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post