SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacationing in San Francisco/Sacramento/Yosemite in June (Update: we survived)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacationing in San Francisco/Sacramento/Yosemite in June (Update: we survived) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
As a 4th gen San Franciscan, I must've been away on a business trip when this thread was active otherwise, I could've dropped an itinerary ideas. You knocked-out quite a bit and overall did a great job of checking out a good chunk of destinations.
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Ate at a Mexican Restaurant in Chinatown...

Ummm, what tha....?!?

I grew up near there, Mexican is the last thing I would've considered but, I get it. You're from out of town, got a hangry-family and the Commander-in-Chief has dropped a major hint.
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:
In all the years I lived there, I never made the trip out to Alcatraz

I've lived in the Bay Area for 65 years. Never been to The Rock.

I grew up on Union & Taylor, I starred at Alcatraz everyday for nearly 30yrs, never been. Always missed the school field trip out there. At this point in my life, I can't go out of principal Cool

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
It's been about 3 decades but I've been to the Rock and Angel Island. It's good to visit both once. But I think I identified with Angel Island more. And I think it was more scenic. Only problem was having to catch the ferry from Tiburon.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13115 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
It's been about 3 decades but I've been to the Rock and Angel Island. It's good to visit both once. But I think I identified with Angel Island more. And I think it was more scenic. Only problem was having to catch the ferry from Tiburon.

Same.
Angel Island has a lot more history, depth and variety, not to mention the cultural impact of being the Ellis Island of the West. Camping up top on Mt Livermore is one of the most underrated, and fantastic views in the entire Bay, when its not foggy and the winds are calm, its a spectacular spot, like being on the floor in the center of the Roman Colosseum.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you guys had a great trip and made the most of your time out there! I'm jealous of the USS Hornet...I'd love to visit that.

We were out that way 9 years ago for my BIL's wedding in Santa Rosa, but never made it into the city. The closest we came was crossing the bridge over the bay on the way out, so we did get a view of the Golden Gate and Alcatraz. We also got to see the Redwoods and Yosemite, and camped at Bodega Bay. The kids loved tidepooling on the coast. It's beautiful country.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Mexican restaurant lunch was a low point in the trip...

I just realized that I've never eaten in a Mexican restaurant in The City

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

This is the place: El Farolito

Looking at a map, it might be one or two blocks form true "Chinatown" but it was still surrounded by Chinese restaurants. Mrs. Scuba and I thought it was good, children just don't like fine comida.

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^At least it wasn't the McDonald's. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16956 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:

Looking at a map, it might be one or two blocks form true "Chinatown" but it was still surrounded by Chinese restaurants. Mrs. Scuba and I thought it was good, children just don't like fine comida.

You were in the heart of North Beach, the City's old Italian and beatnik neighborhood and Mrs.Scuba pulled up THAT place?

The Sinking Rose is a block away
New Sun Hong Kong is on the corner, always solid Cantonese
Sam's Pizza & Burger, allegedly Anthony Bourdain's favorite late night greasy burger diner is on the same block
MO's Grill, Golden Boy Pizza, Tony's Pizza, Flour + Water Pizza, Mario's Bohemian, Il Pollaio, Original Joe's, Italian Handmade, etc....

Every trip has a dud or two, it makes for good conversation and something everyone can laugh about later on.

posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a small local chain and one of the best burrito shops in the City. Never been to that location. I go to the one in the Mission which should probably be avoided with small kids.

Your trip sounds like it worked out great.

Posts: 4333 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you enjoyed the Bay. Perhaps we should have organized a Bay Area range day to make the missus happy. Wink

P229

Posts: 3952 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
You were in the heart of North Beach

Wow you really were

I've heard of it from my friends who were more into clubbing than I...they went to the one on Mission...but I've never been

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14252 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:

You were in the heart of North Beach, the City's old Italian and beatnik neighborhood and Mrs.Scuba pulled up THAT place?

The Sinking Rose is a block away
New Sun Hong Kong is on the corner, always solid Cantonese
Sam's Pizza & Burger, allegedly Anthony Bourdain's favorite late night greasy burger diner is on the same block
MO's Grill, Golden Boy Pizza, Tony's Pizza, Flour + Water Pizza, Mario's Bohemian, Il Pollaio, Original Joe's, Italian Handmade, etc....

Every trip has a dud or two, it makes for good conversation and something everyone can laugh about later on.

Now that you say that, what's funny is the only thing our 10yr old daughter wanted was cheese pizza!

Posts: 2605 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Richmond District Chinese restaurant "didn't taste the same" as the crappy Iowa Chinese restaurant we usually go to (it was FAR better), so they didn't eat that as much either.

Boy, that's tweenagers for ya. If a decent Mexican restaurant was the low point, you did really good.
You got a lot of really good stuff in.

I've never been to the John Muir Historical Site; only recently read about it (it's in Martinez), after listening to some audiobooks of Muir's essays on Audible (done in a Scottish accent). He was an amazing man; the Sierra Club that he founded has disavowed him because he doesn't live up to their 21st century standards of racial/ethnic equality I guess.

Posts: 18383 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post