SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vacationing in San Francisco/Sacramento/Yosemite in June
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vacationing in San Francisco/Sacramento/Yosemite in June Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:

How is Pinnacles NP? It’s only 2 hours south of San Francisco.

It’s been about 35 years since a Boy Scout trip. I remember Pinnacles being alright. Not close to Yosemite. I’d rather hit Muir Woods.

Posts: 4286 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pinnacles in June will be HOT. It’s a lot of steep trails to see the neat stuff (caves)

Posts: 4798 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Right now I am thinking about getting an AirBNB around Outer Richmond area that has off street parking and there is a fair chance we won't even go into downtown SF.

Good gravy! Are you trying to get shot? Wink

If you're going the AirBNB route outside of SF and want to take BART into town, may I just east of Oakland into Walnut Creek, Concord, etc.

Parking in Yosemite Valley can get a biatch, but just get an early start and get to the ranger station by 7 or 8am. Then you're GTG.

P229

Posts: 3856 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Right now I am thinking about getting an AirBNB around Outer Richmond area that has off street parking and there is a fair chance we won't even go into downtown SF.

I'm talking the Outer Richmond neighborhood of SF, not Richmond, CA.

I might just pickup a tent at Target and spend a night in the Tenderloin to get away from the wife and kids though.

Posts: 2547 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Steinhart Aquarium at the Academy of sciences in Golden Gate Park is really cool. Your kids will love it. There’s a parking garage under the building that is easy and secure.

https://www.calacademy.org/exh...s/steinhart-aquarium

The State Railroad Museum in Sacramento is great too.

Posts: 312 | Location: California | Registered: September 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I might just pickup a tent at Target and spend a night in the Tenderloin to get away from the wife and kids though.

Make sure your quadruple boosted on tetanus and hep A etc…

Posts: 4798 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
…head over to the Buena Vista for a real Irish Coffee, …
Thanks for bringing back some great memories! It’s gotta be pushing 40 years, but those were good times. Irish coffee (or two) at the Buena Vista, then head over to the now defunct Magic Pan in Ghirardelli Square.

Posts: 6939 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I visited San Francisco 19 years ago and the most memorable parts were visits to Muir Woods, Alcatraz, and Carmel.

https://www.nps.gov/muwo/index.htm

Posts: 3235 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:

You had me going, too, when I saw Richmond. I've only known that as the Richmond District. If you want good Chinese food, you don't have to go all the way to Chinatown. On the other side of the Golden Gate park is the Sunset District. Along Noriega St between Sunset Blvd and 19th Ave are several Chinese restaurants. I liked S&T Hong Kong Seafood myself on the corner of 33rd Ave.

If you go to where the old Cliff House was, you can walk down to the ruins of the old Sutro baths. You can come up close to where the waves are breaking and to the right there's a short tunnel underneath you can see the waves spray underneath real close.

And, as I said, you're in the 49 mile drive anyway and at least you can follow it through the Presidio and down underneath the Golden Gate Bridge. I think they call it Fort Point. It was an army base guarding the mouth of San Francisco Bay. You can visit the fort or park along in front of the sea wall, watching the waves break high with the Golden Gate bridge right in front of you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19744 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’ve only been once, and it was a long time ago. I enjoyed Sausalito and Marin County (Mount Tamalpais). Asking residents and former residents for Scuba Steve, is that still a cool place to go?

Posts: 13314 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Northern California and returned there to spend most of my life either in Sonoma County, Sacramento area, or the Peninsula south of San Francisco.
We used to take our kids to the Exploratorium a lot, also to the California Academy of Sciences and Aquarium in Golden Gate Park.
I have no recent experience in the city of San Francisco. From what I hear, I would not recommend going there--it sounds like whole city blocks in central SF have boarded up stores. Maybe an exaggeration, I don't know.

For us the prime attraction of California is its diversity of natural "wonders". That includes not only Yosemite--and I agree several days are needed, not one; but also the Pacific coast. Of places within driving distance, Monterey (the aquarium is fabulous), and especially Point Lobos State Natural Reserve near Carmel are really worthwhile, and unlike anything one can find on the east coast. One can do easy hikes around Point Lobos, expect to see sea otters and other interesting coastal wildlife.

Perhaps the most unique natural environment in California are the coastal redwoods. They can be experienced in Muir Woods; in Big Basin Redwoods State Park down near Santa Cruz; or in Sonoma County at Armstrong Grove outside Guerneville (but if not seeing wine country you probably wouldn't be going near there).

Posts: 18108 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I strongly recommend light, rain resistant jackets and hats for all. It gets cold and wet almost daily in the City. And Sac is hot and miserable in June. Never cared for it. If you drive north, avoid stopping in Stockton at all costs. Even in '93 is was a very bad place to be. Don't know if it's still true, but meth makers used to produce on the turkey farms outside of Stockton, the turkeys covered the smell of manufacturing. I lived in the area for 9 years. If it tells you anything, I haven't been back since 95.

Posts: 17174 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Regarding Pinnacles NP… it IS interesting and nice place for hiking… but pales in comparison to Yosemite in terms of grandeur. I’d choose time on the coast and Yosemite over Pinnacles.

Posts: 6386 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post