SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy killed when father's Glock discharges when dropped
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy killed when father's Glock discharges when dropped Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
^^^^
This.

Herr Glock spent literally YEARS perfecting a system whereby the gun can only be fired when the finger has actuated that little extra 'trigger'.

Posts: 11435 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
I too, am skeptical the events happened as described.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/yRJI3QpJGw8

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Shame, wouldn't want that to happen to anyone, imagine he's having a hard time dealing with it and maybe the story is his cover like was mentioned..

The truth will eventually come out...

Posts: 24231 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nope. Didn't happen the way described.

agree 100%

i detest these 'the gun just went off' type stories

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
From the article
“ his father, was also struck by the bullet fired from a gun concealed in his pants, ”
Could the gun have just been in the guys pocket? With no holster?
With the horseplay, there’s any number of ways for the trigger get pulled.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is entirely possible for a dropped Glock to fire. I have a glock 19 with a worn out trigger return spring that doesn't have enough gumption to reset the trigger fully enough to reengage the trigger blade safety. If it were dropped, the inertia could possibly "pull" the trigger, just like the P320 issue. I'm not saying it's likely or common, but it is mechanically possible. Most likely the not fully cocked striker spring would offer enough resistance to keep the trigger for moving all the way.

Posts: 551 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: July 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's no shock here. In things I've been involved with the media rarely gets a story correctly. In fact, going over the story 3 to 4 times so that a reporter has it right really means little as far as the final product goes. The first time I experienced this I was shocked, now it's just "shurgs" thats the way they roll.

Suspect that there is a final write up by the reporter, which can tweak a few things askew, then a editor gets ahold of that and decides that this goes here and that goes there, we'll drop this line (the crux of the thing) and change these words from this to that so our readers will better understand it.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
It's no shock here. In things I've been involved with the media rarely gets a story correctly. In fact, going over the story 3 to 4 times so that a reporter has it right really means little as far as the final product goes. The first time I experienced this I was shocked, now it's just "shrugs" thats the way they roll.

Suspect that there is a final write up by the reporter, which can tweak a few things askew, then a editor gets ahold of that and decides that this goes here and that goes there, we'll drop this line (the crux of the thing) and change these words from this to that so our readers will better understand it.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absent some defect or modification, hard to believe hitting the floor would result in a shot fired.

Over time, my default has been to let things I drop fall clear. I’d rather let a few of them break than catch a knife or firearm the wrong way.

Posts: 696 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
It is possible that an altered or worn part Glock could do as described but for it to discharge and hit both of them in the HEAD does not pass the smell test. Bad writing, bad editing, bad situation all the way around.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15790 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The story I read a couple days ago said the father had his Glock tucked in the waistband of his pants while he and his son were wrestling. I took that to mean no holster was involved (which is probably giving too much credit to the accuracy of the reporting).

Posts: 27162 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DoveEgg:
It is entirely possible for a dropped Glock to fire. I have a glock 19 with a worn out trigger return spring that doesn't have enough gumption to reset the trigger fully enough to reengage the trigger blade safety. If it were dropped, the inertia could possibly "pull" the trigger, just like the P320 issue. I'm not saying it's likely or common, but it is mechanically possible. Most likely the not fully cocked striker spring would offer enough resistance to keep the trigger for moving all the way.

I'm not a Glock engineer / armorer but I'm pretty sure that's not possible

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
Physics coupled with a detailed investigation will reveal the cause. It will likely not be as reported.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38203 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
Another case where a thumb safety might have prevented a disaster.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
Another case where a thumb safety might have prevented a disaster.

Well, requiring the father to lock up his firearm and ammunition (in separate locations) ALSO would have 'prevented' a 'disaster.'

So would denying him the right to own a firearm in the first place (see where this logic leads?).

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG with a Glock-style firearm. It just requires a competent and prudent owner. Of course, many gun owners are neither. It is not reasonable to blame the design of the gun. I have a P226 (with an external 'thumb' safety), a G23 (without one, of course), and a J-frame revolver. I carry all 3 from time to time, and I've never had any problems with either.

The best safety is your brain. I believe that the most likely scenario here is that the father violated more than one of the 4 cardinal safety rules, resulting in the death of his son.

Don't blame the gun on his negligence/irresponsibility.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Police said that while the two were playing, the Glock semi-automatic handgun fell and one shot was fired -- striking them both in the head."

Say what?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
As usual with these types of incidents there is much more assumption than warranted by the available hard information.

But since we’re doing that, my suspicion is that the man shot his son, unintentionally probably, and then decided to shoot himself to make his story of its being an accident caused by dropping the gun seem more believable. I’m reminded of the Dr. Jeffrey MacDonald incident at Fort Bragg.

Dropping the gun: Very possible.
The gun’s discharging when dropped: All but impossible.
The bullet’s hitting both father and son in the head: Not impossible, but very unlikely.

I would like to know where the father’s gunshot wound was. A graze to the cheek? Although we evidently don’t know at this point, if he was able to tell the story to the police, it was probably not too serious. Other crime scene evidence would also be very significant.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post