SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy killed when father's Glock discharges when dropped
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy killed when father's Glock discharges when dropped Login/Join 
posted
Hey all,

I just saw an article on Foxnews about young boy who was killed when the dads Glock discharged after falling to the ground.

"Police said that while the two were playing, the Glock semi-automatic handgun fell and one shot was fired -- striking them both in the head."

I thought that the Glock trigger safety would prevent something tragic like this from happening. I've read and seen the youtube videos on the sig P320 discharging when dropped, but haven't really heard about this with a Glock.

Anyone else heard of or experience this happening with a Glock?

Posts: 75 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: July 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
If this is the same story I read a few days ago about the dad horsing/wrestling around with his kid while CC'ing his weapon, the question should be, why would anyone be carrying and horsing around at the same time?

Q

Posts: 27512 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Here's the story: Link

No details provided, so I'm skeptical because the safe trigger system, with the trigger safety, firing pin safety and drop safety, would make this incident highly unlikely. Unless the weapon is determined to have been defective, I will assume that something else happened besides just dropping the gun.

Posts: 6082 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
... the question should be, why would anyone be carrying and horsing around at the same time?

Stupidity?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Happens more often when someone tries to "catch" a falling gun before it hits the ground.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Agree, no horseplay while carrying, but at least buy a quality holster so the thing does't fall out.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I’m not buying that it went off when it hit the floor. Like Warhorse said, he probably tried catching it and pulled the trigger.

Also from the article, “A 4-year-old Indiana died earlier this month.” I didn’t know Indiana was only 4 years old. Try some proofreading next time, Mr. David Aaro.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 4012 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
Happens more often when someone tries to "catch" a falling gun before it hits the ground.

That has happened before and is the most likely explanation with no further information at this point, IMO.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

That was my thought.

Sad story no matter what.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16450 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Impossible? No, but rather improbable.

God Bless and Protect President Donald John Trump.

VOTE EARLY TO BEAT THE CHEAT!!!

Posts: 17546 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
The father and son were apparently alone in the room where this happened so what really went on is known only by survivor.

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I suspect a poorly written article but what jumps out to me is the shot hit BOTH in the head after hitting the floor.
I'd like a reconstruction of those two unlikely events.

Posts: 9798 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am extremely skeptical that the Glock went off falling to the ground with all the built in safeties. Saying the a pistol went off by simply dropping it deflects blame to the pistol manufacturer and opens the possibility of a large settlement rather then negligence/liability on the person who dropped the pistol. I am in the camp that the gun was grabbed while falling or that it was improperly modified from factory configuration to make the trigger lighter.

Posts: 9826 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Don’t believe it unless as said he tried to catch it or the trigger is modified to hell.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12930 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Nope. Didn't happen the way described.

Are you familiar with Glock's safety system? It is not possible for the pistol to fire when dropped, even if the striker tang slips off the cruciform plate. It's just not possible. The trigger must be pulled in order for a Glock to discharge.

Multiple internal systems would have to be broken/compromised/modified, for this to happen, and even then, it's not believable.

Posts: 109046 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm still wondering how one shot could hit both persons in the head.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Nope. Didn't happen the way described.

Are you familiar with Glock's safety system? It is not possible for the pistol to fire when dropped, even if the striker tang slips off the cruciform plate. It's just not possible. The trigger must be pulled in order for a Glock to discharge.

Multiple internal systems would have to be broken/compromised/modified, for this to happen, and even then, it's not believable.
^^^This. I have two Glock pistols with blems on them from me accidentally dropping them, one on a tile floor and another on a concrete pad. I'm not buying any of this 'pistol discharged' narrative.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it didn't fire when it was dropped - one of them (Dad or son) triggered it by grabbing it when it fell.

Likely the father because that is your first reaction.

Sad.

Now if they said it was an older P320, it could have really happened.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RHINOWSO,

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I highly doubt it went off from being dropped.

Unless the safety system was damaged or tampered with, even then it would be a small.chance.

Dont buy it...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Yeah, it didn't fire when it was dropped - one of them (Dad or son) triggered it by grabbing it when it fell.

Likely the father because that is your first reaction.

Sad.

Now if they said older P320, it could have really happened.

Or, maybe somebody was fondling the weapon and pulled the trigger, and blamed it all on an 'accident.' Whenever I read 'news' accounts of "the gun just went off," I immediately suspect an attempt to cover up reckless or unsafe handling behavior.

The VAST MAJORITY of times, guns DON'T "just go off," unless they have a defect (P320), have been modified by wanna-be 'gunsmiths,' or something snags in the trigger guard. I've read more than one article about idiots firing their Glocks after trying to hang them on a coat hook in a Walmart bathroom or when a pen or car keys mix in a pocket with an un-holstered gun and set the trigger off.

Would the father really say "I was manhandling my gun and inadvertently fired at and killed my son?" OR, would it be MUCH EASIER to say "we were horsing around, the gun fell out, and it JUST WENT OFF?" The former is a case of (at worst) involuntary manslaughter; the latter (at best) negligent homicide.

Likewise, I bet a lot of cases where "it went off while he was cleaning it" were actually suicides or murders, that were blamed on an 'accident' (blaming it on an 'accident' can release insurance money whereas many policies are void in cases of 'suicide').

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post