SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cellular Phone Must Haves
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cellular Phone Must Haves Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I want it to be a good phone. Most phones are remarkably bad at being phones.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

I’d like my next cell phone to have something besides a rotary dial.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:

I’d like my next cell phone to have something besides a rotary dial.

Why change?

https://play.google.com/store/...urel.oldrotarydialer

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cellular Phone Must Haves

1) Excellent radio/antenna performance for use in weak signal areas
2) Zero crapware and zero carrier crippling of built in OS/device capabilities (yes, Verizon, I'm talking about you!)
3) see #1

Out here in the sticks, signal strength is hard to come by. I have friends with the latest and greatest Apple, Samsung etc. and they have difficulty here with dropped calls, calls that never ring their phones and go straight to voicemail, etc.

Some designers forget that these beasties are mini transmitters and receivers, first and foremost. RF antenna design is not for the faint of heart, but get that wrong, and you can't fix it with an app update or OS patch. Wink

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
How do those here rate wireless charging as a priority? Most manufacturers seem to be placing a great deal of focus here and I couldn't give a damn about it given how slow it is. Give me wired fast charging all day every day over wireless.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
How do those here rate wireless charging as a priority? Most manufacturers seem to be placing a great deal of focus here and I couldn't give a damn about it given how slow it is. Give me wired fast charging all day every day over wireless.

Agreed, I thought it was a cool idea and bought a charger for my iPhone X. Now, less than a year later I don’t use it.

It limits your case choices, and if you wish to use a magnetic car mount the metal plate needed to hold to the mount defeats the wireless charging. Realistically it takes fraction of a second to plug/unplug a cord. I don’t think the “convenience” is worth the cost of the charger.

Also, as you said, wired charging is faster.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10957 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
There have been a few threads out here recently discussing cellphones. After having read all the differing perspectives and opinions in those threads, I thought this topic might be an interesting discussion.

First off, this thread is NOT about any name brand or particular platform, so lets not slip to bashing particular products.

So here's the topic of this thread....What three (and only three) attributes are most important for you in a cellphone?

Here's mine.
1 - Big battery - Even if it makes the phone a bit thick.
2 - Speed - Both processor and modem.
3 - Value - Good mix of feature/functionality for a max price of $500.

So what are yours?
Based on what you want, especially item 3, you should check out:
https://www.cnet.com/pictures/best-cheap-phones/

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Wireless charging. Will never go back!

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Give me wired fast charging all day every day over wireless.

Indeed. I hate leaving my phone on a charger, wired or otherwise, so I love that i can plug my phone in and know it'll be fully charged in most times 30 minutes or less. My phone is on a charger less than an hour a day.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Indeed. I hate leaving my phone on a charger, wired or otherwise, so I love that i can plug my phone in and know it'll be fully charged in most times 30 minutes or less. My phone is on a charger less than an hour a day.

But you don't have to choose... mine will do both but I very rarely use wired. Batt last me all day 99% of the time, so I just drop it on the wireless charger on my bed side table at night.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
quote:
quote:

But you don't have to choose... mine will do both but I very rarely use wired. Batt last me all day 99% of the time, so I just drop it on the wireless charger on my bed side table at night.

But that's my point. I don't want to leave my phone charging all night. Over time that will cause "wear" or "damage" to your battery. In fact, I normally only charge to around 80%. But I suppose if you're getting a new phone every year or two, that point is moot.

But again, that's why these new fast chargers are awesome. I can plug in my phone in the evening and can be assured that it will reach its charge before I'm hopping into bed.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
big screen, fast processor, takes good pictures.

really wanted to add "not apple" in there, as well...

I've never owned a phone that couldn't reliably make and take phone calls, so I don't really consider that when buying one.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I've no interest in Wireless Charging, myself. Cables work fine, thanks.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
But again, that's why these new fast chargers are awesome. I can plug in my phone in the evening and can be assured that it will reach its charge before I'm hopping into bed.
Yep. I have DASH charging on my OnePlus that is arguably the fastest charging method out there, and is also a huge part of the reason I love my phone. If I forget to charge it overnight, I can toss it on the charger while I get ready in the morning and in 15-20 minutes I have 80%+ battery. It charges so fast I no longer worry about when to charge my phone. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't want to leave my phone charging all night. Over time that will cause "wear" or "damage" to your battery.

Old wives tale, IMO, no longer relevant. Wife and I both keep our phones 3 to 4 years and both charge ALL night EVERY night, and neither of us have ever had a battery issue of any kind.

Honestly, I expect a really fast charger would do more damage than a slower one, partly due to the increased heat generated. But I did not stay inn a Holiday Inn last night so YMMV Smile

Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I don't want to leave my phone charging all night. Over time that will cause "wear" or "damage" to your battery.

Old wives tale...

No it's not. Your battery loses capacity over time and will experience wear or "damage" during every charge session. That's simply a fact.

Leaving the phone plugged in all night probably doesn't do it any more harm than someone who charges to 100% and then unplugs it, but my point was that I don't always charge to 100% (maybe only 3 to 4 times a month). As such, I don't like leaving the phone on a charger.

I'm probably nitpicking consider the time most people keep a phone, but my circumstances don't necessarily require me to have a fully charged phone in the morning. When I'm heading to the airport though or will be out all day, that's a different story.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Old wives tale...

No it's not. Your battery loses capacity over time and will experience wear or "damage" during every charge session. That's simply a fact.

Leaving the phone plugged in all night probably doesn't do it any more harm than someone who charges to 100% and then unplugs it, but my point was that I don't always charge to 100% (maybe only 3 to 4 times a month). As such, I don't like leaving the phone on a charger.

I'm probably nitpicking consider the time most people keep a phone, but my circumstances don't necessarily require me to have a fully charged phone in the morning. When I'm heading to the airport though or will be out all day, that's a different story.

Based on my experience with RC car lipo batteries deep discharging batteries (below 20%) is worse than fast charging to 100% with proper charger.

I have a SE that is 2.5 years old, charged every night. iOS battery lists it at 92% of capacity.

Posts: 923 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post