SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Food question for Sigforum diabetics.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food question for Sigforum diabetics. Login/Join 
Where there's smoke,
there's fire!!
Picture of techguy
posted
What type of diet do you follow? Can you give me examples of your meals? Thank you.

Posts: 1773 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: February 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Ketogenic Diet
VLCHF (Very Low Carb High Fat)
with a smorgasbord of vitamins.

Meat (beef, pork, chicken, sausages, bacon), eggs, cheese, fish (mostly salmon), low-carb vegetables (spinach, brussel sprouts, etc), olive oil, sour cream, avocados

No bread, rice, fruit, potatoes, sugar or artificial sweeteners.

Many people are ok with nuts. Nuts don't work for me. Too many carbs or something

I drink tea, green tea, ice tea, sometimes black coffee, and a lot of water.

Tonight, I took my wife to a Mexican/Indian fusion restaurant and had salmon tikka fajitas, no rice, no beans, no chips, an appetizer of some spicy sauteed shrimp. Quite tasty. Afterwards, my blood sugar was 92-94.

My last three A1C measurements were 4.9, 4.7, 5.0. The only diabetic medication I take is 2000 mg time release metformin. No insulin or mimetics.

When I was diagnosed with diabetes in 2012, my A1C was 11.3 and my fasting blood sugar was 330.

For me, sugar and carbs are like crack. I need to stay away, far away. Do I ever fall off the wagon and over indulge in carbs. Yes. And like any addict, I struggle to get back. But I've been keto-clean for about a month, one day at a time.

I've tried fasting with mixed results. Other than postponing (or skipping) meals, I am not currently practicing fasting. I find it makes staying off carbs more difficult, and when I'm on the wagon, I don't want to rock the boat.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't do strict keto, but do avoid as much rice, bread, and pasta as I can. I find some nuts are better than others.

I tried small amounts of things to see how they affected blood sugar since we are all different to "customize" my choices. Also allow for a little of the craved food occasionally.

I was very strict in cutting out carbs, alcohols and sugars when first diagnosed and then slowly added things over time.

A1c is in the 5.3 range with 1000 mg metformin 2x daily. Checking glucose every morning prior to eating. Don't forget to get eyesight checked. Hope this helps.

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 84 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I was diagnosed in late April A1C 11. Put on Metfornin. 1000mg then now 2000mg, Total stomach issues. I’ve learned quick where public bathrooms are and which ones to use.

I’ve stopped eating candy at work. I still have bread, plenty of chicken fish and some meats. Sometimes I just can’t stomach meats. It doesn’t taste good to me.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I tried eating the multi-grain bread like a good little woodchuck. Bad results no matter whether it was home-baked or store bought.
(No bread should list 20 ingredients, particularly when they have five names).

I read about the benefits of sourdough on gut health. My lovely wife (and she deserves all the credit) researched and tried different recipes and methods.

What we finally found to be the best - a variation of sourdough... A sourdough Japanese Milk Bread formulation. It is wonderful and made an immediate and tremendous improvement on my stomach experience. Everyone in the family favors this bread now.
Several friends have now tried this and all noticed improved stomach results.
If you can manage it the home baked variety is much better-

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rinehart:
I tried eating the multi-grain bread like a good little woodchuck. Bad results no matter whether it was home-baked or store bought.
(No bread should list 20 ingredients, particularly when they have five names).

I read about the benefits of sourdough on gut health. My lovely wife (and she deserves all the credit) researched and tried different recipes and methods.

What we finally found to be the best - a variation of sourdough... A sourdough Japanese Milk Bread formulation. It is wonderful and made an immediate and tremendous improvement on my stomach experience. Everyone in the family favors this bread now.
Several friends have now tried this and all noticed improved stomach results.
If you can manage it the home baked variety is much better-

Looks amazing ... !

Would you mind sharing the recipe ?

Thanks Smile

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Type I diabetic here. I don’t follow a specific diet because I don’t find it to be necessary. I try to keep carbs to a minimum, while regularly exercising. That is one of the most important things to keep my numbers in check. I haven’t had an a1C above 7 since I was diagnosed in 2007.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17302 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Keto, or at least low carb, is definitely the way to go. Bread should be avoided. When I first started keto, I missed bread (and beer) a lot. But after a couple of weeks it became easy. I would feel very guilty now if I ate any bread or drank a beer, even if a small amount wouldn’t really hurt. Whatever diet changes you decide on, they need to become your permanent lifestyle. Otherwise there is no point in starting “the diet” in the first place.

Posts: 135 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: October 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Type I diabetic here. I don’t follow a specific diet because I don’t find it to be necessary. I try to keep carbs to a minimum, while regularly exercising. That is one of the most important things to keep my numbers in check. I haven’t had an a1C above 7 since I was diagnosed in 2007.
Same here. I've been an insulin dependent diabetic for about 20 years. Although you asked specifically about diet, I've found that it's more important to know what your blood glucose level is at all times so you can keep it adjusted. This is best done by using a continuous glucose monitoring system such as the Dexcom or the Libre Freestyle. Rather than not eating a plate of spaghetti, it more important to take the right amount of insulin at the right time to cover it. I keep my a1c between 5.5 and 6.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15487 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
+++ on Fenris! Outstanding results!

This will is the route to go. Make it your lifestyle, you’re in this for the long haul. I loved nothing better than hot bread, but I’ve tossed it. You can too.

Besides you can eat bacon!

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Type II here, Basaglar insulin, 2150 units of Metformin daily, glipizide as needed. I also have chronic kidney disease, which rules out many foods. I go with a near vegan diet, much as I don't like it. Breakfast is 1/2 cup of fruit (berries or peach), 1/2 cup of yogurt. Mid-morning snack is an apple. Lunch is 3 ounces of turkey breast on 1 slice of sourdough or 1/2 of a pita bread. Mid afternoon snack is an apple. Dinner is 4 cups of salad made of cruciferous vegetables, with a dozen or so tortilla chips. Evening snack is a slice of toasted sourdough or 1 cup of popcorn.

I need the few carbs to balance the insulin. Without them my blood glucose goes insane with wild fluctuations (not fun.) If my BGC goes too high, 2 to 3 ounces of bourbon brings it down. Any more brings it down too much. And, I can truthfully saw the bourbon is for "medicinal purposes."

Posts: 17148 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was diagnosed in late April A1C 11. Put on Metfornin. 1000mg then now 2000mg, Total stomach issues. I’ve learned quick where public bathrooms are and which ones to use.

Are you on the Extended Release metformin? My son had GI issues on regular, they went away on extended release, which is common.

And I agree low-carb is the way to go.

We are going to be looking into Ozempic for my son, now that he has finally realized he has a chronic condition, and that his near-life-ending event was not a one-time thing (sigh! won't listen to his physician dad even though I've treated thousands of diabetics).

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

Are you on the Extended Release metformin? My son had GI issues on regular, they went away on extended release, which is common.

Yep, extended release is the way to go.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
Yep I’m on extended release now. No help.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7905 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
ThankGod4Sig, my wife had the same problem with the metformin, especially when she went up from 1000mg to 2000mg. Her endocrinologist said to drop back until you find a dosage your digestive system will tolerate. She has dropped back to 1500 and it's working great. She takes it twice a day. BTW, doctors are finding that metformin has cancer-fighting properties that they are still discovering the extent of how well they work.

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1868 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
BTW, doctors are finding that metformin has cancer-fighting properties that they are still discovering the extent of how well they work.

Low-carb diets are apparently also useful in slowing some cancers.

Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
The closer I can stay to the Fenris Remedy, the better my A1c.

After 30+ type II years, dietary moderation and mild but regular exercise help considerably. With Metformin & a carefully monitored daily dose of Basaglar, my A1c has remained between 5.7~6.3 over the last 4 years.

Losing 100# helped as well, and eliminated need for continued membership with the Nose Hose Patrol.

I count the ongoing firewood chores and other physical demands of rural Estate Management (gardening, various homesite repairs etc) to count toward my goal of Overcoming Inert or Sluggish habit.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Type 1 here, diagnosed last October. I'm still in the "honeymoon stage", or so they tell me, so I'm taking Lantus 1x a day and have managed to stay off mealtime insulin altogether so far. I exercise multiple times a day, eat small portions numerous times a day, and monitor my blood sugar constantly with the Libre2 system.

I try to keep a consistent routine, which helps a lot. Small omelette in the morning with veggies and a little bit of ham or sausage, and also a small serving of low carb yoghurt with a spoonful of granola and some berries (this gets omitted if I'm over 100 when I wake up). Then I run a couple of miles.

Lunch is usually a salad, and for dinner it's usually something veggie and meat based. My wife found zero net carb tortillas, so tacos are a popular option (our family really likes Mexican). I have to forego the rice and beans, though. She also found a cheese and almond-flour pizza crust recipe, so I can do that, and just this week used some of the zucchini from our garden to substitute for noodles in lasagna...that was awesome! Pork loin has been on sale a lot lately, so one of those in the crock pot with some sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms will usually cover me for a few meals.

The diet is basically keto, and I avoid carbs as much as possible. If I do have to eat them, I run or walk a few miles and that serves to keep the blood sugar down.

For snacking, mixed nuts are my thing. You dont want to overdo it or they can elevate your blood sugar, but they're better than most other things. I had to find unsalted ones (harder than you'd think) because all the sodium was messing with me.

So far I've been doing pretty good...my a1c at diagnosis was greater than 15.5 (how much greater I don't know) with a fasting blood sugar in the 390s. My first checkup I was down to 5.6, and my last one was 5.2, so it seems to be working. They tell me that sooner or later I'm going to run out of beta cells and have to go on mealtime insulin, but I'm hoping that takes its sweet time. For the time being I'm just doing everything I can to keep it under control. I had a miserable time there for a bit, before and immediately after diagnosis, where I felt like crap and my eyesight went all to heck...I don't ever want to go through that again, so it's pretty easy to stay motivated. I can live a pretty good life without sugar...not without my eyes.

Posts: 8657 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
I can live a pretty good life without sugar...not without my eyes.

I plan to die with my feet on.

Just remember, high blood sugar only kills those parts of the body that use blood.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I plan to die with my feet on.

Yeah, me too. If I do lose them it's going to be because I ran or walked them off, not because I sat around, ate garbage, and let them rot off.

On the other hand, I did tell my wife that I now have an easy way out if I ever get diagnosed with terminal cancer or something and decide to just end it all. I'm just going to eat pizza, donuts, and ice cream until I go into a coma and just fade away happy and well-fed Big Grin.

Posts: 8657 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post