SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    new oregon gun law goes to governor
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

new oregon gun law goes to governor Login/Join 
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted
Boquist Gun Confiscation Bill Passes
Today the Oregon House approved one of the most dangerous, hateful and mean spirited pieces of legislation ever introduced.
SB 719 A, the product of Republican Senator Brian Boquist's collusion with the most militant anti-gunners in the legislature, will now allow the police to come to your home and confiscate your firearms and "deadly weapons" with no accusation or conviction of a crime.

There is NO question this bill will cost people's lives.
Now a vindictive family or household member has the power to have your rights and property stolen from you simply because they chose to make an accusation against you.
"Dangerous" people will not be taken into custody. Self destructive people will receive no help.
The people who passed SB 719A know this. They don't care about people's well being. They only care about seizing as many firearms as possible.

and our governor got 200,000 from bloomberg last fall.
She has said she will sign this bill.

This is a real sad day o for us in oregon.A mad ex wife,or anyone can make a lie up and the police will take all your guns.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Oregon, the largest county in California, took another step down the road to being lost.

Any action requires a petition, then an ex parte order issued by a judge, if I read it right. Nonetheless a blow to gun rights. Oregon Firearms Federation (OFF) worked hard on this one. Frown

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Im very sorry for you guys. I cant believe this. I nope this ass pony senator gets booted out as fast as possible.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Sounds like this one will need to be challenged in the courts if it actually does make it into law. Something tells me it won't survive that challenge at some point.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tuesday was gone when I told her my name is the breeze.
posted Hide Post
Gov brown has stated many times she wants the gun laws to mirror california and washington.

I really think they will try hard to get it done.

Posts: 1796 | Location:  | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Scary how leftist and detached from our constitutional beginning the west coast has become.

So sad,

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tuumunz:
... will now allow the police to come to your home and confiscate your firearms and "deadly weapons" with no accusation or conviction of a crime.
If that's true, how is this not unconstitutional?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107603 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Sounds like this one will need to be challenged in the courts if it actually does make it into law. Something tells me it won't survive that challenge at some point.

All the way to the SC.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

All the way to the SC.
Absolutely! It is blatantly unconstitutional.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The people who wrote and passed, signed this bill should be removed from office. They are acting in ways unbecoming of an elected official and not adhering to their oath of office. We need a process to do this other than elections. A majority does not make this right.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12720 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

All the way to the SC.
Absolutely! It is blatantly unconstitutional.

flashguy

Thank heavens the 2016 election went the way it did. Had the never Trump people had their way -Glenn Back- this case could have set a precedent that would eventually disarm us all.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to whether migration from California is part of the problem with Oregon. Any thoughts? I previously viewed Oregon as somewhat more progressive state admittedly with a few quirks.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I am curious as to whether migration from California is part of the problem with Oregon. Any thoughts? I previously viewed Oregon as somewhat more progressive state admittedly with a few quirks.

That's exactly what this is. We have the same type of law in California. Now all the ex-Californians who migrated to Oregon are bringing their antigun bias with them.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
If that's true, how is this not unconstitutional?

decent question; from observations by a long term resident here, the growth of such legislative attempts at ignoring 'due process' etc , and the enactment of 'emergency legislation' somehow has shorted out the normal process of Citizen and Legislative review & debate.

The trend since 1987 has been steadily Leftward, and last fall the DNC got the majority needed to take another step toward their notion of domestic tranquillity.

Now that the DCN.gov has actually been voted in by 50.70% to 43.53%R margin, with 3 other balloted parties totaling the remain 6% we've had a series of non-local influence by Big Pockets on matters sounding ever more like Wa & Cali.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
In NC a boyfriend/girlfriend, wife/husband, person you have a child in common with, any person you have ever lived with, etc., can swear out a Domestic Violence Protection Order, in which the judge can order that all your guns are turned over to the sheriff. No charges are necessary, just a sworn affidavit saying you are dangerous because _________.

Is this the same thing? Or something different?

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
this seems pretty clear to me...and this did not change.....

Article 1, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution states: “The people shall have the right to bear arms for the defense of themselves, and the State, but the Military shall be kept in strict subordination to the civil power.”

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
If I can find them, I could post some of what one of the support groups has been running the last few weeks. No response over at least the last couple years, had been congruent with 'We the People'.

According the the 'new law' the troupers can come in & demand knives & firearms without any real facts, just a statement from a 'concerned individual'.

So far there seems to be no way to recover confiscated firearms.
The leading Big Leftist Pushers actually are all in the bag for the little Billionare Bloomberg notion of gun laws.

Last couple year we got the 'no private sales' laws so every body has to march in front of FFL.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Washington State passed much the same law last November.
Swear out that someone is dangerous or something, a judge signs the order, then the police go collect the guns. First notice the gun owner gets is when the police arrive.
As the owner is already judged to be dangerous, police will no doubt bring SWAT.
What the law doesn't provide for is any accountability for a false claim. Getting divorced? Claim he's dangerous and get back at him.
This is one of the laws that was written to prevent a very rare occurrence. It's written for the victim and ignores the Constitution.
https://know1491.org/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
“I, [name], do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.”

Don't state governors swear this oath?

If they do so, and knowingly undertake actions contrary to the wording of the oath and all it amendments, then how can they continue to hold office?

tac

Posts: 11324 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I can see the soon to be EX spouse using this to full effect, not that they can't/don't use similar already.

Oregon has a stark contrast in politics once away from the larger cities and the I-5 corridor. Like other States, one ends up beholden to the majority voters.

Portland has NO shortage of urban outdoors people camping under bridges & looking for handouts. There was a massive line downtown when I was there last, lead up to free food at some outlet. Many seem to be able bodied persons 20-40 years old.

Posts: 6165 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post