SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Toyota Land Cruiser mods and info
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Toyota Land Cruiser mods and info Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I think around 2002 and older you can change out the radio. Somewhere in those model years the navigation radios have the A/C controls integrated into the radio, so it is next to impossible to change the radio to something more modern.

Just a heads up if that matters to you. I think you're better off with manual A/C controls regardless.

There are Android upgrades that include A/C controls.
https://www.phoenixautomotivei..._sid=b4597c92d&_ss=r

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I've wanted a 100 series for years and picked one up 2 weeks ago. It's a great rig in a lot of ways. Mine is a 99' with the locker, just over 200k. Here's what I've learned along the way:
- Make sure its not rusty. Poke the rockers, the sunroof channels drain to the rockers and if the rocker drains are plugged you are carrying water ballast. Frame is more substantial than a 4 runner or taco, so not as much worry there.
- Make sure its watertight. Windshield, roof rack, tail light and sunroof are notorious leakers
-Big money items that may need attention : On later models -AHC, Nav, Air pump. All models -windshield frame, brake booster, steering rack
-Replace your heater tees
-If you lift it do a diff drop to save your cv's
-It's a complicated vehicle that's 20 years old, electrical gremlins will probably need sorting

Mine's a bit more of a project than I anticipated, but I don't mind doing work to it. I think if I were relying on a garage to do my work it would put me in the poorhouse Eek

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Great info so far. Thank you. It will be used for light to medium trails. No rocks. I’ll probably camp in it or tent camp next to it once a month. Probably will do most cooking over a campfire and a yeti. One to 2 night max, at least for now.

I think I’ll go with bigger tires and maybe a lift at first and add bumpers later. Admittedly, those will be fo aesthetics as much as utility.

I have read about braking issues. Kinda scary.

Just as an FYI, I have a 2012 4 door 4wd f150 that is my daily and a 2014 4door Jeep Wrangler as my mud rider. The land cruiser would scratch my itch for an SUV and be bigger and handier to car camp in (I’m 6’ 7”).

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m a big fan of the cruiser. Bought my 100 used I owned it for 3 years and sold it to a friend’s parents for $3k less than I bought it. Upgraded to a 200 series- absolutely love the trucks.

The AHC is as bullet proof as an adjustable system can get. It’s probably not as reliable as shocks and springs, but if the rest of the truck is in good shape I wouldn’t let that keep me from buying it. Slee used to sell an AHC override switch that would keep the truck in high mode all the time. Might work for you as an inexpensive lift.

The android head unit replacements aren’t perfect but they’re an upgrade from the factory system. If you can find a non-nav land cruiser, but it. It’s a rare vehicle that came to the US without nav. There’s good info on ih8mud on both of those subjects.

The 2006 and 2007 get a HP upgrade. That would be a worthwhile upgrade. AHC is generally only on the LX, but you see AHC on the 06/07 LC. I think it was an option. I’ve toyed with buying back the ‘06 With AHC I sold.

Posts: 758 | Registered: March 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
quote:
Originally posted by Gear.Up:

Feel free to ask specific questions. Several of my friends have Land Rover rigs.

Ewww... you need to find some better friends Wink

I beg your pardon?

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
Find someone locally who knows how to rebuild the Birfield joints.

Been there, done that. It is a very interesting piece of machinery, the Birfield is. I rebuilt mine because I was adapting a wider FJ-60 axle to the 40. You use the inners of the Birfields from the 40, and the outers and everything else from the knuckle out from the 60, which gives you a beefier knuckle and disc brakes. The axle part (of which the Birfield is at the end), is called the drive shaft by Toyota. What we call a drive shaft, Toyota refers to as the propeller shaft.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bushpilot
posted Hide Post
Reliable for sure. Have owned four of the FJ40 models and currently have the '77. Lots of fun and basically bullet proof.

****************************************************W5SCM
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution" - Abraham Lincoln

"I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming conviction that I had nowhere else to go" - Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1143 | Location: Little Rock, AR | Registered: January 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For some fun reading, Car & Driver re-ran an old review of a new 1991 Series 80. You’ll notice the as-tested sticker of only $27k!

https://www.caranddriver.com/r...toyota-land-cruiser/

There are a lot of Series 100’s in your area. When shopping, take your time and drive as many as possible. Resist the temptation to go with the first one. As you see & drive a fair number, you’ll quickly gain the ability to discern when one example is relatively superior.

You’ll still want to have it inspected and that inspection will dually serve as your after-purchase To Do list. A good shop can help you prioritize the list. As I noted earlier, you can’t fix everything on these old vehicles.

For example, my steering rack and pump eventually need to be replaced but not immediately. That advice was issued a few years ago and I’m still using the original parts. We did change the power steering hose assy and that change helped to address the immediate concern and facilitate watching the pump and rack.

As compared to the above ‘91 model, my ‘02 stickered for about $51k!

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I know I've posted these before, but I really love these pictures. These trucks are very lightly modified. You REALLY don't need to blow a ton of coin on aftermarket equipment to do what would seem to be crazy shit in these things. The hardest part is getting over the mental aspect of hearing the bangs and clangs as you hit rocks with the rear hitch as you fall off of them.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those things look huge ( to me ) for how they are being used !! Smile Coming from a former FJ40 owner and present day Samurai owner. !! mike

Posts: 1273 | Location: Idaho | Registered: October 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post